Wayne Simmonds Given Permission To Leave

WildCard

29 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I'm glad we're looking elsewhere for depth pieces, and good on Adams for letting him get a head start on free agency.

This is a good perspective.  He's a good guy and I would have loved him on the Sabres as recently as 5 years ago, but not now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Agreed to the sentiments on his qualities as a teammate and player (both previously and current). But we've got Okposo playing the role of beloved older guy in a bottom-six/grinder role. Simmonds will find his opportunity elsewhere and best wishes for him in that regard.

Came here to say this, KO plays the same role and we're paying him enough for that. Still can't believe we have 3 years left of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Came here to say this, KO plays the same role and we're paying him enough for that. Still can't believe we have 3 years left of him. 

Okposo isn't worth his contract, but WHEN he is on the ice, he isn't a bad performer for the team.  5th on the team in points the last 2 years even with games missed....2nd to Oloffson in PP goals per minute of ice time...and with the shortened season last year..he was on a 14-15 goal, 30 point pace as primarily a 4th liner.  

I wish he wasn't getting paid what he is....but if you are going to be stuck with that contract anyway....playing him on the 3rd/4th line...with the ability to fill in on higher lines...and putting him on the 2nd PP unit....he's not bad in that role at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Okposo isn't worth his contract, but WHEN he is on the ice, he isn't a bad performer for the team.  5th on the team in points the last 2 years even with games missed....2nd to Oloffson in PP goals per minute of ice time...and with the shortened season last year..he was on a 14-15 goal, 30 point pace as primarily a 4th liner.  

I wish he wasn't getting paid what he is....but if you are going to be stuck with that contract anyway....playing him on the 3rd/4th line...with the ability to fill in on higher lines...and putting him on the 2nd PP unit....he's not bad in that role at all.

Agreed.  Okposo isn't a bad player, he's a decent player with a bad contract.  I hope Skinner bounces back this year so we are not saying the same thing about him.  When your team is not a destination for players, you have to take chances and overpay in some cases.  The Bills were in that boat for years, but now, they are a desirable place to be and players WANT to come to Buffalo and many of those that are on the team want to STAY (see Tre White) - perhaps for less than they might get elsewhere.  The Sabres are a far cry from getting to that point, but you have to start somewhere.  Perhaps Adams and Krueger will turn it around and guys will want to come to Buffalo again.

Back to the original thread, I have always liked Simmonds as a player, but I don't think he adds that much at this point in his career.  We should look for younger and less expensive guys to fill the role he was in.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Apparently he is good enough to be part of a playoff team.

I wouldn't have signed him for anything.

I stand by my earlier prediction: he will get one fan base very excited for a month or two and will be in the press box by season's end.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wouldn't have signed him for anything.

I stand by my earlier prediction: he will get one fan base very excited for a month or two and will be in the press box by season's end.

I actually agree.  Just interesting that a bottom dweller like us doesn’t want him but a playoff team does, especially when we trying to “harder” to play against.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The Leafs and media here are really pumping him up as a big signing for them by adding toughness to their lineup. Sound like this was what he wanted anyway and wasn't going to re-sign here because he wanted to play at home in Toronto.

Has there EVER been a Loaf FA signing that WASN'T talked up as a big signing in TO?

Simmonds WAS a great player & the type every team needs come playoff time.  His corpse won't be quite as useful in April as he was.  (Full realizing the RS will still be underway rather than wrapping up like usual.  Point still stands. 😉 )

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.