Sabres sign Tage Thompson to 3 year 1.4 AAV Extension

Brawndo

I think this means they have big plans for him, given the 3 year term after proving, well, nothing. Cost is low so it's only worrying if they already have him penciled in. 

There isn't enough information to claim that, though, I just think THEY think they have something. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Looks like they have him penciled in this year as second line RW next to Stall.

See this would be the mistake I was getting at. I don't think we can claim that yet, but if we don't add other RWers I'd say it's a good bet. 

My initial reaction is that it’s too much and Tage hasn’t proven squat.

But.........it is 3 years.  It’s a bet on the player.  1 or 2 years from now they could have a 20+ goal scorer for $1.4M.  I don’t think it means they have him penciled into the top 6 or anything.

Does anyone know if this is a 2 way deal?

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

But.........it is 3 years.  It’s a bet on the player.  1 or 2 years from now they could have a 20+ goal scorer for $1.4M.  I don’t think it means they have him penciled into the top 6 or anything.

I don't think it necessarily means that either, but I can't rule it out. 

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

It’s funny, you mention Smith and Oglivie and you are told they didn’t show enough in the AHL. You mention Tage and you are told his tearing up the AHL doesn’t mean anything.

Agree it's a funny contrast, but in this case I'd argue Tage's AHL doesn't mean very much because the sample size was so so small. He's played a total of 24 AHL games in 2 years. That's almost nothing to go on. 

Especially when we know hot starts are a thing, particularly when we know opposing teams will adjust their strategies for known quantities. Casey had 5 points in 6 games in the NATIONAL league, when he first started. Tage's two seasons are 8 and 16 games. I'm not banking on that yet. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agree it's a funny contrast, but in this case I'd argue Tage's AHL doesn't mean very much because the sample size was so so small. He's played a total of 24 AHL games in 2 years. That's almost nothing to go on. 

Especially when we know hot starts are a thing, particularly when we know opposing teams will adjust their strategies for known quantities. Casey had 5 points in 6 games in the NATIONAL league, when he first started. Tage's two seasons are 8 and 16 games. I'm not banking on that yet. 

If we had drafted Thompson people would be excited about his prospects. Because he was part of the worst trade in Sabre’s history, and the Sabre’s have been bad for so long, people are skeptical and with good reason. I am glad that while the team isn’t counting on it, they know they may have something special.

Three years? That third season of the bridge is pretty significant. I kinda like it. He's getting bottom six salary and that could turn into a huge positive if he stays healthy and achieves his 2-3W potential. It also means he's easily moved if another GM loves him, or sacrificed to Seattle if this year is another wash. Nice no-strings-attached deal.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, tom webster said:

If we had drafted Thompson people would be excited about his prospects. Because he was part of the worst trade in Sabre’s history, and the Sabre’s have been bad for so long, people are skeptical and with good reason. I am glad that while the team isn’t counting on it, they know they may have something special.

Agree, but people should be skeptical regardless. 

Edited by Thorny

54 minutes ago, Curt said:

Does not appear to be. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.24bf22593310f005df31c192d4b35b26.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Skinner-Staal-Thompson the thinking then? 

If Thompson can pull up his end, that could be a dynamic line.  Can you imagine Skins getting other the other teams' skin and Thompson bowling them over when he comes to his rescue?

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.