2020 NHL Draft 1st Round

WildCard

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

Caveat being to trade the pick, but under the circumstance where we are absolutely making the selection, you are absolutely correct. I feel like if we take a d-man I'll be unhappy that's who we are getting, but at the same time in full acknowledgement of the fact that the D-man had to be the guy, if they saw a noteworthy gap between him and the next F available. It basically amounts to us being unlucky that the "best" (in our evaluation) player available at 8 was a D man, and not someone who played F. 

The disappointment stems from the fact that, all else being equal, in my judgement a F prospect would be more beneficial to us than a D prospect, considering our current system. In a world where there was just that one extra F adjudged to be of the same level as the D, we'd be better off, even with the "talent" being seen as equal. 

So it's a small distinction, but while I agree that anyone not wanting a D(those saying that irrespective of talent - just purely on the basis of wanting a F) shouldn't be upset we TOOK Sanderson/Drysdale, I can understand some disappointment in the fact we HAD to take Sanderson/Drysdale. 

It's the type of disappointment that would fade immediately upon seeing the player achieve success, I'd imagine. 

What would make the disappointment of drafting a defenseman fade quickly is adding second line forward/s through trades this offseason. If Sanderson or Drysdale are the highest rated players on the board when our pick comes up then one of them should be the selection. That's how well run operations conduct business. 

14 hours ago, Curt said:

I wouldn’t be mad.  Depends on who else is on the board.

Sanderson is right there with Drysdale.  Either is a reasonable pick from 5th on back.

If Detroit has the choice between taking Rossi or Perfetti which prospect do they take? 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If Detroit has the choice between taking Rossi or Perfetti which prospect do they take? 

They are linked to Perfetti and have been for awhile, however they have interviewed Rossi 3 times from my understanding. I think Perfetti was also interviewed multiple times. Yzerman is clever so he knows he doesn't need to smokescreen at 4 because we already know the top 3 picks. Perfetti is my guess but hey, crazy things happen at the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

Pronman's final mock draft

https://theathletic.com/2117590/2020/10/05/nhl-mock-draft-2020-corey-pronmans-final-projection-of-the-first-round/

He has the Sabres taking Quinn at 8 and Minnesota takes Rossi at 9. 

two names I’ve heard the most are the two Ottawa forwards in Quinn and Marco Rossi. I’ve been hearing Quinn more often now and think that could be the pick.

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

Seems like Perfetti from “rumors” but who knows with Yzerman.  I would take Rossi, hands down, not even close.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They are linked to Perfetti and have been for awhile, however they have interviewed Rossi 3 times from my understanding. I think Perfetti was also interviewed multiple times. Yzerman is clever so he knows he doesn't need to smokescreen at 4 because we already know the top 3 picks. Perfetti is my guess but hey, crazy things happen at the draft. 

It appears that the both of you are suggesting that Rossi might be the pick despite the fact that the early indications were that they were leaning toward Perfetti. Yzerman is a cagey GM with an independent streak. He is intriguing to follow. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It appears that the both of you are suggesting that Rossi might be the pick despite the fact that the early indications were that they were leaning toward Perfetti. Yzerman is a cagey GM with an independent streak. He is intriguing to follow. 

Rossi would be the only other pick I see for them currently unless they go way off board. Again, they have also interviewed Perfetti multiple times. 

I will add this from Pronman

some sources around the league who think the Wings will take Swedish forward Lucas Raymond and some who think they will take Russian goalie Yaroslav Askarov.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, steveoath said:

Did the Wings/perfetti rumor come from a comment/tweet from friedman? Then others just jumped on board, or is there any substance at all to it?

They have interviewed Perfetti multiple times. There are a lot of links to Perfetti going to detroit but if you read further it appears the list is Perfetti, Askarov, Raymond, and Rossi as possible options at 4. Anyways, here is some info on Perfetti and Detroit. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2020/09/25/detroit-red-wings-draft-cole-perfetti-steve-yzerman/3518269001/

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They have interviewed Perfetti multiple times. There are a lot of links to Perfetti going to detroit but if you read further it appears the list is Perfetti, Askarov, Raymond, and Rossi as possible options at 4. Anyways, here is some info on Perfetti and Detroit. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2020/09/25/detroit-red-wings-draft-cole-perfetti-steve-yzerman/3518269001/

Drysdale has also interviewed 3 times with Detroit

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Is this not live on TV tonight?

The very first post of this thread has a link ....

In that link, the first paragraph ...

The 2020 NHL Draft will be held virtually with Round 1 taking place on Tuesday, Oct. 6 beginning at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN (livestream). Rounds 2-7 will be held Wednesday, Oct. 7 beginning at 11:30 a.m. ET on NHL Network.

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

Anyone upset with us drafting him is thinking only about last year's team, not the teams when this year's picks will actually matter.

I'm thinking about next year's team, but definitely not three or four years down the road, when some of these guys MIGHT actually matter.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I think several players MIGHT be the pick at 4.  Perfetti seems likely based on rumors.  Personally, I think Rossi is the 3rd best prospect in this draft.  Most people around the NHL seem to disagree with me though and have Rossi more in the 5-10 range.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

https://theathletic.com/2117590/2020/10/05/nhl-mock-draft-2020-corey-pronmans-final-projection-of-the-first-round/

I think I'm the only one on this board who would be happy with Quinn, but even I would be upset if they took him over Rossi.

That said, I'm convinced that if Rossi is there, they take him.

Edited by dudacek

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think I'm the only one on this board who would be happy with Quinn, but even I wold be upset if they took him over Rossi.

If they take Quinn, I may have to join all the other whiny folks and complain about leaving others on the board. If they truly want Quinn, trade down and get him at 15-20

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I think the link to Detroit/Perfetti is in part that he played @ Saginaw Spirits. Yserman likely had more opportunities to see him in person for evaluation.

I saw some reports where people called him a "local boy", even though he only played 2yrs there and is from near Toronto.

The link is much stronger than that.

“The Red Wings, of course, have the fourth pick despite having by far the league’s worst record this season. The team already has a relationship with Perfetti.

Detroit’s amateur scouting director, Kris Draper, is partners with Brandon Bordeaux, whose family has billeted Perfetti for the last two seasons, Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano and former Detroit goalie and Red Wings TV analyst Chris Osgood have an ownership stake in the Spirit. And Perfetti has been working out with former Detroit conditioning coach Pete Renzetti.“

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

The very first post of this thread has a link ....

In that link, the first paragraph ...

The 2020 NHL Draft will be held virtually with Round 1 taking place on Tuesday, Oct. 6 beginning at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN (livestream). Rounds 2-7 will be held Wednesday, Oct. 7 beginning at 11:30 a.m. ET on NHL Network.

Thanks. When I posted, NBCSN didn’t have the draft listed. Now it does. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think I'm the only one on this board who would be happy with Quinn, but even I would be upset if they took him over Rossi.

I will say this, Quinn would be way more interesting to me if he were born in june but if it is true he really didn't start working out until he was 15/16 then his delayed development makes sense. He did have an abnormally high sh% in the OHL though so I would expect some regression there. He's at least 1 ohl year and 1 AHL year away from NHL IMPO. 

When head coach Andre Tourigny is asked about Quinn, he describes him first with one word: fantastic.

“Oh boy. His progression since last year is really good,” Tourigny said. “He’s a 200-foot player. He’s really good defensively, he’s good offensively, he’s playing all three positions up front, he has a lot of ice-time. He’s a big reason for our success.”

https://theathletic.com/1674320/2020/03/19/behind-jack-quinns-rapid-rise-from-obscurity-to-top-2020-nhl-draft-prospect/

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't see the point in running this in prime time when it's a covid remote show. They should have just started in the morning, run the whole thing and left the evening for the talking heads to analyze who won and lost.  I'm going to wait until it's all over probably. 

Free agency right after is way more interesting. 

That'll be tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Final prediction for the draft:

1. Lafrienere
  2. Stuetzle
  3. Byfield
  4. Perfetti
  5. Raymond
  6. Drysdale
  7. Sanderson (maybe Holtz)
  8. Rossi
  9. Lundell
  10. Zary
  11. Holtz (if still available)

Seems like a big reach for the Jets. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not gonna lie this would be hilarious. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.