2020 NHL Draft 1st Round

WildCard

1 minute ago, miles said:

i still cant get over the sabres pick. 

maybe rossi is too small, and they wanted a bigger player?

I think passing on Rossi for Quinn is dumb but at least I can understand it if they really want that skilled winger. But then why pass on Perfetti?

Just now, tom webster said:

I am amazed at the “absolute” of you all. You are a resilient bunch refusing to let the lessons of history and draft busts of past stop you from proclaiming success or failure three years into the future.

Ric Seiling and Brad May were fine players. I bet that Quinn will be a great player for us. It's just who they skipped over to pick Quinn, drafting by need instead of BPA.

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I am amazed at the “absolute” of you all. You are a resilient bunch refusing to let the lessons of history and draft busts of past stop you from proclaiming success or failure three years into the future.

Definitely isn't an absolute situation, he could end up being the right pick, but I can't get too down on people for being disappointed considering there were several better players by consensus on the board. A lot of people are going to think we reached a bit. It's an understandable reaction.

Especially when, we absolutely should have traded down. 

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Reminding a lot of the keyboard warriors freaking out when the Bills to Josh Allen over Josh Rosen

let it play itself out. I’d rather Rossi as well but Quinn can score and is a complete player 

Guess we will find out in 2 or 3 years 

And this is why we should have moved the pick. 

- - - 

Should give ups to Chad here, he said to keep an eye on Quinn. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Definitely isn't an absolute situation, he could end up being the right pick, but I can't get too down on people for being disappointed considering there were several better players by consensus on the board. A lot of people are going to think we reached a bit. It's an understandable reaction.

Especially when, we absolutely should have traded down. 

I’m not down on anyone really, just busting some b.... As far as trading down, Detroit could have traded down too but what if you don’t get your guy? LGRM, posted a while ago, identify your guy and take him. You don’t know what everyone else thinks.

Just now, tom webster said:

I’m not down on anyone really, just busting some b.... As far as trading down, Detroit could have traded down too but what if you don’t get your guy? LGRM, posted a while ago, identify your guy and take him. You don’t know what everyone else thinks.

I know that the wild and the jets weren't going to take quinn

3 minutes ago, HOF Wingman said:

I was not a josh Rosen fan. But we could have turned a weakness at center into a strength by adding Rossi. We potentially could have been three/four deep at the position. Wingers are easier to come by. Difference makers at Center are not.

It's just that. Quinn should be good. Eichel - Cozens - Rossi was right there. The numbers say, if Quinn has someone driving play for him, he'll get his sick snipes. The play driver was right there. It's a miss for me right now. It surprises me considering all the talk about incorporating analytics. Rossi was THE analytics guy. Oh well. 

Interested in tomorrow to see how KA approaches the lower picks. If we'll see our first CHL guy outside the first round in ages. The pick leaves a bitter taste but KA has plenty of avenues to improve the roster coming up right away that can remove that. 

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

This is almost too ridiculous to fathom, but at face value, I agree.  This pick does not replace Reinhart. 

I agree it would be ridiculous, but I also think it's rather clear they went for size and need when they spoke to the opposite. PA has been getting on them for their ham-handed media releases a bit, I'm having that *flicker* of doubt that all that speak re:the draft was maybe also not-so-carefully crafted spin. 

It's arguably pointless to be disappointed in a pick when we haven't seen what they will become, but after spending hours debating all of this stuff together on here and forming opinions, it also makes no sense to betray my initial conclusions which were free of bias as we hadn't selected yet: I was always going to be disappointed in Quinn and I can't help hockey-worry about what it could entail for the operation. 

Again, lots of off-season left. I don't need to love the pick itself to be pleased overall, gotta see what else happens. 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What role did Terry play in the pick? He was right there, and really working that pencil eraser.

Zero.  The answer is zero.  He was playing around with an eraser while he waited for Kevyn Adams to take 4.5+ minutes to screw this up.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.