Goaltending Ideas for 2020-21

Eleven

I thought it might be a good idea to spin this out of the general 2020 planning thread.  There's going to be a lot to talk about.  I definitely don't hate the idea of Fleury coming here on a cheap deal while he continues to get paid by Vegas on his existing contract.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I thought it might be a good idea to spin this out of the general 2020 planning thread.  There's going to be a lot to talk about.  I definitely don't hate the idea of Fleury coming here on a cheap deal while he continues to get paid by Vegas on his existing contract.

I do. I think there will be better options.

The one interesting thing is that if there is a compressed schedule, teams may want a veteran for their third goalie spot as well.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I do. I think there will be better options.

The one interesting thing is that if there is a compressed schedule, teams may want a veteran for their third goalie spot as well.

That is an interesting wrinkle indeed.

38 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think there will be plenty of good options.  I do not want to commit to anyone for more than 2 seasons.  

Couldn't agree more.  If Ukka, a/k/a Blue Swede, isn't ready by then, he won't ever be.  And, speaking to that, the Sabres do need to draft or trade for a goalie prospect, probably even two.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 3

I take it we do not have a young goaltender in the system ready to play in NHL? If we did I’d be happy to start with Hutton as number two and if he blows up again (likely, IMO) we could throw youngster in. 

Maybe we get a journeyman goalie, start him in Rochester and move him up as needed? 

Is cap space a big issue here? 

1 hour ago, In The Buff said:

Khudobin, Talbot, Kuemper if he could be had, Raanta from the Bruins, Pavel Francouz from the Czech Republic

Matt Murray is also available

Ruutu? He'd be great. I knew he was gone the day he left the bubble.

50 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Ruutu? He'd be great. I knew he was gone the day he left the bubble.

Na i meant Anti Raanta from the Yotes. Had a brain freeze & said Bruins thinking of Rask. Arizona could move one of their goalies so 1 could be had i imagine.

As for Ruutu idk who that is, other than Christian from the old days & Tuomo of the Rangers who plays LW

1 hour ago, In The Buff said:

Na i meant Anti Raanta from the Yotes. Had a brain freeze & said Bruins thinking of Rask. Arizona could move one of their goalies so 1 could be had i imagine.

As for Ruutu idk who that is, other than Christian from the old days & Tuomo of the Rangers who plays LW

Too many puffs. I meant Rask...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

Too many puffs. I meant Rask...

10-1 Rask would retire before coming here. If he wouldn't play bubble hockey no way is he going to do a season here for that final year on his contract. 

There's almost too many goalies free or in play this off season. It's likely going to look like musical goalies going back and forth and I wonder if sabres are even looking for one. We are, but are they? 

23 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

All I know is that I will be very unhappy if we don't upgrade the goaltending. There is no way we can contend in the playoffs with what we have. No matter who we have up in front of them.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. I’m sure there is more you know. You just have to find your calling.🤪

Carter Hutton for Marc-Andre Fleury.

Adds $4.25 million in cap space, $3.75 in actual dollars, upgrades our goaltending significantly to take a run at the playoffs this year, reunites Fleury with Mike Bales, who had great success with in the past. Also gives us a goalie to expose in the expansion draft. He has another year at $6 million if we decide to keep him over Ullmark. He’s got a relatively friendly buyout if we need to take that route.

Vegas gets a backup to Lehner and gets under the cap without having to sacrifice any other pieces.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adds $4.25 million in cap space, $3.75 in actual dollars, upgrades our goaltending significantly to take a run at the playoffs this year, reunites Fleury with Mike Bales, who had great success with in the past. Also gives us a goalie to expose in the expansion draft. He has another year at $6 million if we decide to keep him over Ullmark. He’s got a relatively friendly buyout if we need to take that route.

Vegas gets a backup to Lehner and gets under the cap without having to sacrifice any other pieces.

You're ticking a lot of boxes with this analysis.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Aim bigger since the Sabres are taking the full cap hit for an additional season.  Add Marchy or Cody Glass for that. 

I’d propose 2021 2nd plus Hutton for MAF and Marchy. 

This would give Vegas the Cap Space for Pietroangelo as well

• Like (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Excellent analysis. As you astutely point out there are many layers laid bare in your examination. Even with all the Sabres' blatant limitations if the Sabres would have had consistent goaltending last year it is not outlandish to believe that they would have been a playoff team. There are many roster issues that need to be addressed this offseason. The one area where an improvement in play would make the greatest difference is in its goaltending. 

The goaltending market is a loaded market with many reasonably priced players. And what is appealing about this bloated market is not only the price but the prospects for a short term. Fleury is without question an interesting option but there are also other good options that can be considered. The issue comes down to does this new regime have the ability to seize the many opportunities that exist in the market place?  It's doable!

On 10/3/2020 at 5:42 PM, In The Buff said:

Khudobin, Talbot, Kuemper if he could be had, Raanta from the Coyotes, Pavel Francouz from the Czech Republic

Matt Murray is also available

Pavel Francouz is Colorado's backup and I believe they just signed him to an extension not too long ago.

On 10/3/2020 at 5:32 PM, Ducky said:

If the Sabres don't draft Askarov (doubt it), they should sign Holtby.

Even if they draft Askarov (I hope they don't), they still need to sign a veteran like Holtby.

Askarov won't be ready for at least 2-3 years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.