Andrew Oglevie Signs Two Year Deal with Sabres

Brawndo

• nfreeman changed the title to Andrew Oglevie Signs Two Year Deal with Sabres
8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I think oglevie and cj smith will both be given a shot at fourth line wingers 

Acquiring a Larsson replacement and a Vesey upgrade from elsewhere and replacing Zemgus Simmonds and Frolik internally makes a lot of sense from a budget perspective.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Acquiring a Larsson replacement and a Vesey upgrade from elsewhere and replacing Zemgus Simmonds and Frolik internally makes a lot of sense from a budget perspective.

I haven’t given up on retaining Larsson only because I can’t see him getting a lot of offers with most of the contenders cap strapped. I could see him going overseas for a year. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

if we are trying to win the next lottery. 

Yes, we want to complain that they never get contributions from undrafted players but think that the Sabre’s can’t win if any of theirs make a contribution. Every Cup winner gets contributions from guys like Smith and Oglivie.

Pretty good golfer

- - - 

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

I haven’t given up on retaining Larsson only because I can’t see him getting a lot of offers with most of the contenders cap strapped. I could see him going overseas for a year. 

I would overpay slightly to keep him here. Anyone else? If we have the space, obviously. 

Unless there are equal options we can pay the strictly appropriate amount for, if we are going to find ourselves with, say, Asplund on our main checking line, it'd be worth it, easily, IMO. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Pretty good golfer

- - - 

I would overpay slightly to keep him here. Anyone else? If we have the space, obviously. 

Unless there are equal options we can pay the strictly appropriate amount for, if we are going to find ourselves with, say, Asplund on our main checking line, it'd be worth it, easily, IMO. 

Larsson is exactly the kind of guy teams going into playoffs look to acquire. If they can lock him up at a reasonable price, they should do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, tom webster said:

Yes, we want to complain that they never get contributions from undrafted players but think that the Sabre’s can’t win if any of theirs make a contribution. Every Cup winner gets contributions from guys like Smith and Oglivie.

No, no they don't. They get contributions from guys who play as good as you wish those two could play. 

I have nothing against Smith or Oglevie but to this point in time I've not seen a thing which makes me think they can be NHLers. You're saying we could see them on the 4th line. So you're suggesting we'd be going from Girgensens-Larsson-Okposo   to Smith Oglivie and (?) Lazar  and you seriously think we'd be better? Come on, that's silly. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, no they don't. They get contributions from guys who play as good as you wish those two could play. 

I have nothing against Smith or Oglevie but to this point in time I've not seen a thing which makes me think they can be NHLers. You're saying we could see them on the 4th line. So you're suggesting we'd be going from Girgensens-Larsson-Okposo   to Smith Oglivie and (?) Lazar  and you seriously think we'd be better? Come on, that's silly. 

A) actually they do

B) I’m on record as wanting Larsson back

C) I’m an Okposo fan. My hope is that fourth line is Larsson, Okposo and ???!

D) I think Lazar, Oglivie and Smith all will compete for 12/13th forward

E) guys like Smith and Oglivie come out of nowhere all the time. Sometimes they just click. I didn’t say I’m counting on it, I very much doubt if all 3 see significant ice time but, unlike you, I don’t have a crystal ball. It’s why even the staunchest analytic guys created the “outlier.” Because it happens and I predict this year, with every team struggling to be under the cap, it will happen more often throughout the league.

11 hours ago, tom webster said:

I know. People whose opinion I trust think him and Smith could be intriguing prospects. Nothing you would count on but a chance to be decent depth players. 

I got it. You're a believer in them but, did they get substantially better last year in Rochester than they were, cause I never heard about that. They were both here last year, and neither was an NHL player so your argument has to be based on them somehow being better and I just don't see that. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I got it. You're a believer in them but, did they get substantially better last year in Rochester than they were, cause I never heard about that. They were both here last year, and neither was an NHL player so your argument has to be based on them somehow being better and I just don't see that. 

You are missing the point. All I said was that these guys will have a shot. Either one will have to step up their play to actually contribute on an NHL level but I don’t dismiss the possibility. 

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

You are missing the point. All I said was that these guys will have a shot. Either one will have to step up their play to actually contribute on an NHL level but I don’t dismiss the possibility. 

I don't disagree on that, we just differ on the likelihood of them stepping up. 

Generally with prospects that you get excited over you see an aspect of their play that impresses you (like Pekar's tenacity for an example). Or they do some things really well but have a weakness they need to improve on (like Tage can skate and shoot but he needs to get physical) . Over time they fix that problem or they just don't make it. The 2 guys we are discussing here have just looked ok but nothing stands out and their time is running out. 

So really, we just disagree on their potential. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.