Offseason News 2020-21 (Non-Sabres Edition)

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Does that give them a compensatory pick in the 2021 4th?  Were he a 1st rounder likely would (assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that were it a 1st round pick he'd be treated like a draft pick that became irreparably injured/ killed); not sure what the deal is with lower round picks.

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Does that give them a compensatory pick in the 2021 4th?  Were he a 1st rounder likely would (assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that were it a 1st round pick he'd be treated like a draft pick that became irreparably injured/ killed); not sure what the deal is with lower round picks.

I do not believe there is compensation 

• Thanks (+1) 2

On 11/3/2020 at 10:15 PM, Ice Cold said:

Anthony Mantha signed for 4 years at a 5.7 million per- average.  For comparison, Sam Reinhart signed for one year, 5.2 million.

Last season, in sixty-nine games, Sam Reinhart, scored 50 points, with a healthy balance of 22 goals, and 28 assists.  He was 24 years old.

Anthony Mantha over forty-three games scored 38 points, last season:  sixteen goals and twenty-two assists.  He was twenty-six.

Reinhart scored .72 points per game.

Mantha scored .88 ppg.

Just an interesting comparison, in my opinion.

Career numbers

Mantha- 4 years- 260 Games- 173 Points- .67pts/gm.  (games missed=68)

Reinhart- 5 years- 400 Games- 255 points- .64 pts/gm.  (games missed=6)

Don't get me wrong I like Mantha as a player and was hoping Buffalo would go after him a couple of years ago.  But he hasn't been able to stay healthy for a whole year.

I actually prefer his style of play to Reinhart which is probably why he gets hurt.  That being said I think he should have been in the high 4 million or topped out at 5 million AAV.

I'm afraid Mantha's contract just drives up the price of resigning Reinhart.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tampa has a serious cap problem,  and there are 7 teams with 8+ mil in cap space that have to be licking their chops knowing that Tampa has to do something big...unfortunately the Sabres are not one of those 7 teams.  😞

With Sergachev signed, they have 19 players under contract, already over the cap limit by ~2mil, and still have to sign Cirelli and Cernak...and even then, they only have 21 players accounted for.

Edited by LabattBlue

55 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Tampa has a s serious cap problem,  and there are 7 teams with 8+ mil in cap space that have to be licking their chops knowing that Tampa has to do something big...unfortunately the Sabres are not one of those 7 teams.  😞

With Sergachev signed, they have 19 players under contract, already over the cap limit by ~2mil, and still have to sign Cirelli and Cernak...and even then, they only have 21 players accounted for.

Only 5 NHL defencemen under contract right now: Shattenkirk Bogosian gone and Ruutta still a UFA.

Luke Schenn, Braydon Coburn, Luke Witkowski and Daniel Walcott is not the 4-7 of a Stanley Cup contending blueline.

• Like (+1) 1

That's cheap for Sergachev. 4.8 is a great deal for Tampa. Without covid, I'd have bet on Sergachev at nearly 6 if not over.

... and.... Dahlin will make more. But given the economic state this year and next, maybe that keeps Dahlin under $6M/year. It shouldn't in normal times. But it could. Maybe something like $5.75 x 4. That would be pretty sweet.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.