Sabres Embedded Series Debuts on Monday

Brawndo

The Sabres have 4 guys in what they think is the middle tier that could be available for their pick according to this video. Sounds like they had a list of 15 players they were looking at and had the scouts break them into the tiers. (This is in regards to #8 overall)

"Fit a criteria of what is a Sabre and fit the analytics" - Kevyn Adams

What I like about Adams thus far as he has said repeatedly or asked repeatedly for tape on guys. He wants to watch the picks we might take at 8. He watched tape on Staal. I am sure other GMs do all of this but I am very encouraged how much that is a focal point. 

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What I like about Adams thus far as he has said repeatedly or asked repeatedly for tape on guys. He wants to watch the picks we might take at 8. He watched tape on Staal. I am sure other GMs do all of this but I am very encouraged how much that is a focal point. 

I'm sure it works pretty much this way in every organization, but it did come across nicely in the video.  Proper delegation and trust in your staff, but not over-delegation.

Still from the last minute of the Embedded video. Some of it is too blurred for me to make out, so here’s my Mad Libs version: “A Buffalo Sabre is an athlete that is (something) on and off the ice, driven to grow and (something) in whatever challenges and adversity are presented. Through grit and mental toughness, a Buffalo Sabre will be unselfish, resilient and (something), with the goal of winning a Stanley Cup Championship.” 

2916FDEB-FD61-43E2-99B6-C2CC2D1AEF2A.png

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Don Dokken said:

Still from the last minute of the Embedded video. Some of it is too blurred for me to make out, so here’s my Mad Libs version: “A Buffalo Sabre is an athlete that is (something) on and off the ice, driven to grow and (something) in whatever challenges and adversity are presented. Through grit and mental toughness, a Buffalo Sabre will be unselfish, resilient and (something), with the goal of winning a Stanley Cup Championship.” 

2916FDEB-FD61-43E2-99B6-C2CC2D1AEF2A.png

Vogl has a good screen cap of that:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Has Adams said what the prototypical Buffalo Sabre is going to be under his watch ? What exactly are they looking for ? What type of team are they looking to build ?

I can't remember if it was in the Adams presser yesterday, or the Crowe one, I think the Crowe.

He said something to the effect that every Sabre prospect has to be competitive on the ice and focused on self-improvement. Beyond that, their skillset can manifest itself in many different ways and that's fine, although they do pay attention to projecting the kid into "an NHL body"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I can't remember if it was in the Adams presser yesterday, or the Crowe one, I think the Crowe.

He said something to the effect that every Sabre prospect has to be competitive on the ice and focused on self-improvement. Beyond that, their skillset can manifest itself in many different ways and that's fine, although they do pay attention to projecting the kid into "an NHL body"

It was Crowe. Here's the exact quote, which I love:

“We’re going to want guys that are competitive, have a strong desire to impact the game however it is they do that and are invested in themselves from a development perspective and burn to be hockey players,”

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

“We’re going to want guys that are competitive, have a strong desire to impact the game however it is they do that and are invested in themselves from a development perspective and burn to be hockey players,”

This is what I feel inside.  I don’t think Buffalo needs a certain “type” of player, but they need players who work hard on and off the ice, and play with intensity.

55 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That's Beane/McDermott speak... 

Wow, that is some drivel. There aren't enough eye rolls/eggplant emojis/animated turd gifs for any pro athlete under the age of 27-ish.

Poorly written, cliché-filled, useless rubbish.

A friend of mine sent me that and I refused to believe it emanated from the Sabres front office. I should have known better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.