Eichel to the NY Rangers?

Ruff Around The Edges

4 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

"We have no intention" and "we're not looking to do anything" are weak statements, I'm sorry, they are.  They are NOT an unequivocal "no."  That sounds like "open for business" in GM speak.  Look, I'm not one to make a mountain out of a molehill but if Adams wanted to squash this once and for all, he'd say: "Jack Eichel isn't going anywhere.  He's a Sabre for life and we're going to build around him and win a Cup with him."  That is NOT what he said.  GMs choose their words carefully with this stuff and based on that quote, Eichel can definitely be acquired for the right price.

With that price being prohibitive.  Me thinks 4 firsts, 2 top prospects and a legit 1st line player.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

"We have no intention" and "we're not looking to do anything" are weak statements, I'm sorry, they are.  They are NOT an unequivocal "no."  That sounds like "open for business" in GM speak.  Look, I'm not one to make a mountain out of a molehill but if Adams wanted to squash this once and for all, he'd say: "Jack Eichel isn't going anywhere.  He's a Sabre for life and we're going to build around him and win a Cup with him."  That is NOT what he said.  GMs choose their words carefully with this stuff and based on that quote, Eichel can definitely be acquired for the right price.

So was Gretzky.  That's always true.  If someone wants to play Santa Claus and send us an Eric Lindros quality and quantity return, then make the deal.

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

So was Gretzky.  That's always true.  If someone wants to play Santa Claus and send us an Eric Lindros quality and quantity return, then make the deal.

Word.  

Peter Forsberg = Artemi Panarin

Mike Rici = Ryan Strome

Steve Duschene = Jacob Trouba

Kerry Huffman = Brendan Smith 

Ron Hextall = Alexander Giorgiev

Plus two first round picks, one being Lafrenierre...

It makes you pause.  As Forsberg was essentially better than Lindros, I'm not sure we can say that about Panarin.  

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Word.  

Peter Forsberg = Artemi Panarin

Mike Rici = Ryan Strome

Steve Duschene = Jacob Trouba

Kerry Huffman = Brendan Smith 

Ron Hextall = Alexander Giorgiev

Plus two first round picks, one being Lafrenierre...

It makes you pause.  As Forsberg was essentially better than Lindros, I'm not sure we can say that about Panarin.  

Would not fit under the cap, but I would make that trade. I think that trade would be a wash as far as how good we are now, adding lafreniere’s growth.... we win that trade.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm taking this at face value.  The Rangers called to see if there was any interest on the Sabres side in discussing a potential deal for Eichel.  The Sabres said no.  McKenzie heard about it and reported it.  That's about it.  I don't think the Sabres or Eichel had anything to do with it.  I love Jack as a Sabre and don't think the Sabres should consider trading him, but if the Rangers came to the table with #1 overall and a long list of quality/proven players (such as the list quoted in the post directly above this one), I suppose you at least listen.

If Edmonton offered McDavid and Drai and their first and agreed to retain 50% of their salaries for Eichel, would you do it?

Obviously you would. So there is no point making great claims about how untradeable someone is. A GM should listen for EVERY player. No one is untouchable, they just have an extortionate price.

If you offered #8, Eichel and Dahlin for Crosby, do you think they say no? Even though he is the face of the NHL, has brought them 3 cups etc.

Maybe he just got sick of people reporting the "rumor" to him or whatever, and decided to put an end to it. Otherwise, he'd have had to tweet something next week like, "re Eichel to the Rangers that's burning up twitter, there's nothing there". This way it saves of week of hysteria.

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

If Edmonton offered McDavid and Drai and their first and agreed to retain 50% of their salaries for Eichel, would you do it?

Obviously you would. So there is no point making great claims about how untradeable someone is. A GM should listen for EVERY player. No one is untouchable, they just have an extortionate price.

If you offered #8, Eichel and Dahlin for Crosby, do you think they say no? Even though he is the face of the NHL, has brought them 3 cups etc.

This just proves absolutely nothing. Those trade offers are not realistic. Of course those offers would be accepted.

Now, turn it around....

Buffalo offers Oilers Eichel, Cozens and #8 and retains 50% of Eichels salary for McDavid, Draisaitl, and their 1st, does Edmonton say yes?

Pitt offers us Crosby for Eichel, Dahlin, and #8...does Buffalo day yes?

52 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I'm taking this at face value.  The Rangers called to see if there was any interest on the Sabres side in discussing a potential deal for Eichel.  The Sabres said no.  McKenzie heard about it and reported it.  That's about it.  I don't think the Sabres or Eichel had anything to do with it.  I love Jack as a Sabre and don't think the Sabres should consider trading him, but if the Rangers came to the table with #1 overall and a long list of quality/proven players (such as the list quoted in the post directly above this one), I suppose you at least listen.

Rational, well-reasoned discourse has no place here.

TERRY PEGULA MADE KEVIN ADAMS PICK UP THE PHONE

• Haha (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

This just proves absolutely nothing. Those trade offers are not realistic. Of course those offers would be accepted.

Now, turn it around....

Buffalo offers Oilers Eichel, Cozens and #8 and retains 50% of Eichels salary for McDavid, Draisaitl, and their 1st, does Edmonton say yes?

Pitt offers us Crosby for Eichel, Dahlin, and #8...does Buffalo day yes?

You missed my point: the other side has to play "Santa Claus" -- of course they are unrealistic.  I would move Eichel if the trade made me say, "well, of course I will make the trade."  That does not mean I am looking to move Eichel, I am looking to move Eichel, I want to move Eichel, I expect to move Eichel, etc.

My point is that you "never say never".  You move Eichel for a Lindros-type return, not an ROR-type return.  And the return has to be so obvious that we would want to charge the arena with pitch-forks and torches if he turned it down.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Just listened to Craig Button on 10-40am out of Vancouver. He had no problems laying the blame where many on Sabrespace have pointed the finger in the past. Ownership. In short they’ve bungled their way through the first 10 years of owning the team with no end in sight. Poor hires, 3 gms and what 4 coaches. Yada yada yada.

Agreed. And if the Pegulas are ever dumb enough to let Adams trade away Eichel, they might as well sell the team the following day. To me that would be the last nail in their coffin as owners. It would finally expose them as moronic owners they are with no one left to defend them as so many like to do. This team is one of the monumentally historically most awful teams in league history these past 9 years. How they don’t get more of the blame for all this is beyond me. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Agreed. And if the Pegulas are ever dumb enough to let Adams trade away Eichel, they might as well sell the team the following day. To me that would be the last nail in their coffin as owners. It would finally expose them as moronic owners they are with no one left to defend them as so many like to do. This team is one of the monumentally historically most awful teams in league history these past 9 years. How they don’t get more of the blame for all this is beyond me. 

Who do you see really complimentary of the owners? I haven't seen it. 

I know it's hard to believe, but buckle your safety belts for this zaniness: it turns out that other teams are interested in acquiring good players.  I know, it's crazy.  And here's the really crazy part- they express interest by using -wait for it- the telephone.

Who ever heard of such a thing.  I mean one day you're GM and you sitting at your desk wondering how to improve your team, when your telephone (of all things!) rings and it's another GM calling you.  They then mention some player of yours.  Suddenly you're like woahwoahwoahwoah.  WOAH.  Slow down there.  They should have written you a letter.  And just by the very act of them saying that player's name via telephone(!) -without you even responding- suddenly you're taking calls about this playerInquiries are being made about this player.  This player could be available and teams are interested.  Lord Jesus Stanley himself.  You didn't even say hello and some Jeffrey Gorton of the New Amsterdam Gortons is breaking decorum by making a lewd telephonic suggestion that could be misconstrued as taboo, illegal roster sillynannery by the local printing press and carrier pigeon service.

Now you're embroiled in a massive scandal only eclipsed by the owner's wife showing ankle and trying to vote: THE GM WANTS TO TRADETH THE ONLY UNTRADETHABLE ATHLETIC will be scrawled across the yellow journals.  You should expect to be pistol dueled by both the player and player-agent, and bludgeoned by a couple of GMs on the windy sands of Lake Erie, and then, if you survive, lynched.

How DARE this happen.  How DARE it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billznut said:

I don't think many have exonerated the Pegulas

34 minutes ago, Radar said:

Who do you see really complimentary of the owners? I haven't seen it. 

It's come to the point where national media and national audiences generally look past the Sabres unless they are central to the story, and when they are central to the story, negative slants/questions are generally associated with every move.

When Botterill was fired, the conversation wasn't about his job performance, it was about that of ownership. When it was reported the Sabres might be among the teams with a self-imposed cap, it was easily and universally accepted as a done deal. When they made a trade for Eric Staal the first reaction for many was that Staal was going to retire.

The Pegulas have slid into the category of irrelevance or assumed incompetence as the default. There is no more complimentary and there won't be until the team starts to compete again.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You missed my point: the other side has to play "Santa Claus" -- of course they are unrealistic.  I would move Eichel if the trade made me say, "well, of course I will make the trade."  That does not mean I am looking to move Eichel, I am looking to move Eichel, I want to move Eichel, I expect to move Eichel, etc.

My point is that you "never say never".  You move Eichel for a Lindros-type return, not an ROR-type return.  And the return has to be so obvious that we would want to charge the arena with pitch-forks and torches if he turned it down.

I didn't miss your point any more than you missed mine. 

I think we actually agree. I'm just one that likes to bring both sides of the equation to the forefront for argument sake.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's come to the point where national media and national audiences generally look past the Sabres unless they are central to the story, and when they are central to the story, negative slants/questions are generally associated with every move.

When Botterill was fired, the conversation wasn't about his job performance, it was about that of ownership. When it was reported the Sabres might be among the teams with a self-imposed cap, it was easily and universally accepted as a done deal. When they made a trade for Eric Staal the first reaction for many was that Staal was going to retire.

The Pegulas have slid into the category of irrelevance or assumed incompetence as the default. There is no more complimentary and there won't be until the team starts to compete again.

I'm making the point in response to a poster implying support for ownership. I don't see a lot of posters supporting our owners.

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea which makes it highly suspect. He basically started a tweet by suggesting Eichel might be traded and concluded the thread by saying it wasn't happening. It was complete trash beginning to end. His entire group of tweets amounted to "The Rangers called on Eichel and the Sabres aren't trading him." He manufactured drama and clearly did so deliberately. Otherwise he would have tweeted the Sabres part first instead of waiting 6-10 minutes or whatever it was to get to the ***** point.  

Honestly, my first reaction was that it was a rare instance of Bob dropping the ball outright. I think close to retirement he for a moment cared less about being unbiased, putting something out there he knew was a self-fulfilling prophecy, which would harm the Sabres, even if that wasn't his intent. 

Clicks. 

Maybe that's not the case, and I'm not slandering the guy, but I think it was a bit of hubris. Just my reading. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1