Eichel to the NY Rangers?

Ruff Around The Edges

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

So once we are all finished crapping our pants and yelling at the rumour-mongering media. we should probably ask ourselves "why is this out there?"

Bob McKenzie didn't make this up to get clicks. Doesn't need to.

Somebody wanted that story out there. And wanted it out there now. Who? Why?

My possible theories:

1) Least likely: someone on Botterill's team is still stinging about the purge and wanted to make things uncomfortable for the Sabres.

2) More likely: Jack Eichel is not happy with suggestions the team might be pinching pennies this summer and wanted to send a pointed reminder to the franchise that they need to be making concrete steps to improve the team, now, because their meal ticket is fed up.

3) Most likely: A rival GM(s) is in talks about a significant trade and is trying pressure Adams into upping the offer.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

AN excellent point by ChadD and another reason why someone would want this out there:

Sounds as though the Sabres are less than pleased about today’s events as we’re just about a week out from free agency opening. Feel like we’re missing the point here. A lot of things are going to be happening here with player movement. A leak of an angry star week before UFA/trades where they may want players to waive doesn’t help. That’s the issue. Real bad timing.

It could be something from the former 3 but the UFA thing makes a lot of sense to me. 

2 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

“no real desire” - interesting phrasing.  Suggests a higher level of offer might lead to a higher level of desire...

I thought that was odd, too. 

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

So once we are all finished crapping our pants and yelling at the rumour-mongering media. we should probably ask ourselves "why is this out there?"

Bob McKenzie didn't make this up to get clicks. Doesn't need to.

Somebody wanted that story out there. And wanted it out there now. Who? Why?

My possible theories:

1) Least likely: someone on Botterill's team is still stinging about the purge and wanted to make things uncomfortable for the Sabres.

2) More likely: Jack Eichel is not happy with suggestions the team might be pinching pennies this summer and wanted to send a pointed reminder to the franchise that they need to be making concrete steps to improve the team, now, because their meal ticket is fed up.

3) Most likely: A rival GM(s) is in talks about a significant trade and is trying pressure Adams into upping the offer.

I don’t follow this logic. If the Sabres were shopping Eichel, Eichel asked for a trade, or Eichel wanted to be traded, I would think the first person in the organization to know this would be Adams. And he would hear this news and would be able to automatically dismiss it if it wasn’t true. It’s not like he’d say “Oh shoot, the Sabres are looking to trade Jack, I’d better do whatever I can to complete this trade!” 

23 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I don’t follow this logic. If the Sabres were shopping Eichel, Eichel asked for a trade, or Eichel wanted to be traded, I would think the first person in the organization to know this would be Adams. And he would hear this news and would be able to automatically dismiss it if it wasn’t true. It’s not like he’d say “Oh shoot, the Sabres are looking to trade Jack, I’d better do whatever I can to complete this trade!” 

That's not the scenario at all. It's not about an Eichel trade.

The scenario on the table is if the Sabres don't improve, Jack may ask for a trade. Which puts enormous pressure on Adams to make a deal in order to keep his star happy.

Say the best offer Brad Treliving has on the table for Gaudreau is Montour, Mittelstadt and next year's first. He wants it upped so Cozens or this year's first is included instead. Maybe some added pressure gets Adams to cave.

Edited by dudacek

I don't find it hard to believe and I don't think its some weird conspiracy/shady leak from a rival GM/Team

I would not be shocked to hear that the Sabres are listening on Everybody and the Rangers made a call to see what it would take for Jack. Knowing they have the #1 overall pick and are close to being a competitor that they may feel someone like jack will have a better impact now for them then the #1 overall pick and have some moveable pieces that they could use to make a huge splash. The have a young goalie they may have to move (if they cant move Hank) and the Sabres could use an upgrade in net.

Thats not to say the Sabres would make the move, but you never 'don't listen' to the offer. If the Sabres have an internal Cap crunch and don't think its possible to make serious upgrades needed next year to make them competitive, maybe they look to moving the one big piece for a bunch of smaller pieces that make them a better 'Team'. Lafreniere is talked about as being a very highly rated player and would definitely be the centerpiece of the deal, but throw in a few more pieces and maybe they see it as a move to save some cost but make them better in the long term (possibly in a year or to depending on how Lafreniere adjusts)

• Like (+1) 1

So a theory is that Jack Eichel, a person who literally has Adams phone number, isn't happy that b4 the draft and ufa have even started that the Sabres have only traded for a #2 center, so he leaked the idea he wants out instead of just talking to his GM, to apply pressure to that GM, all while weakening his bargaining power... so he can get a better team because he's sick of losing which apparently the GM doesn't know.

seems legit martin freeman GIF

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Radar said:

Would be the last time I ever would think about the Sabres ever again. I haven't totally got over the ROR deal. Jack? I'd totally be a anti fan hoping they never win.

The deal to be had could completely change the fortunes of the franchise but im with you on that. I think I'd be out.

Eichel posted on Instagram about how happy he is that Bogo won a Cup. Makes sense, as they seem to be quite good friends. After the message from the Bogo side that it was more less agony being here and he was practically begging to get out, let's just say I'm just hoping it's not a common conversation between the two haha

""“I was like praying this season was going to resume for Zach’s sake, after all he’s been through and what he’s put himself through to get out of Buffalo,” Bianca said. “I was praying that he had the opportunity to play in the playoffs this season.”

Edited by Thorny

57 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Eichel posted on Instagram about how happy he is that Bogo won a Cup. Makes sense, as they seem to be quite good friends. After the message from the Bogo side that it was more less agony being here and he was practically begging to get out, let's just say I'm just hoping it's not a common conversation between the two haha

""“I was like praying this season was going to resume for Zach’s sake, after all he’s been through and what he’s put himself through to get out of Buffalo,” Bianca said. “I was praying that he had the opportunity to play in the playoffs this season.”

Hockey heaven

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

If McKenzie was hearing it in calls this morning, there's most likely something there. McKenzie isn't prone to putting crap out there.

Regardless of both the team and Eichel's agents response, I'm looking at dudacek's response on page 1 of this thread and thinking the same thing.

There is absolutely no way to know the truth on the whole thing. If - stress IF - Jack did ask for a trade they may have agreed to keep it quiet to facilitate best value. Or they are simply considering offers for a maybe if the offers are good enough. Maybe Jack said we have to spend big in free agency and get better now or I will want out next year and so they're looking at offers now since they don't want to spend and know they likely won't be good next year. Maybe the owner's have decided 50 years over the best plan moving forward is the cheapest one and a complete reboot (again) there is simply no way to know BUT, I agree that McKenzie rarely talks total BS so it means in the least the Rangers have kicked the tires and thrown out some sort of offer (likely involving that first they lucked into). Whether Adams has ANY interest, who can say and if he's smart he will say Eichel is not being traded period, while privately taking phone calls.

I don't want to trade Eichel, but I do remember Quebec/Colorado won the deal for Lindros so if the deal is sweet enough why not.   IFF Eichel was traded I think I'd also want Reinhart, Skinner and most veterans gone too. Full start over if at all. Pointless if you just ditch your top player to save money. Better a full cultural and personnel reboot IFF you went that way.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Radar said:

Would be the last time I ever would think about the Sabres ever again. I haven't totally got over the ROR deal. Jack? I'd totally be a anti fan hoping they never win.

I  can’t believe I’m saying this.  Same here.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am sure that Eichel has opinions about the Sabres organization that would cause him to not be unhappy if he was traded to a major market team that was a contender for the playoffs and the Stanley Cup.  He has experienced multiple coaches and GMs in his relatively short time with the Sabres, and he likely is well aware of how the potential cost cutting can impact the amount of money spent on players this offseason or even potential trades, including players he is close to, such as Reinhart.  I don't think the surfacing of this rumor is without a basis in some reality.

If the Sabres do not make the playoffs next season, I do think that Eichel will ask to be traded either privately or publicly.  That seems somewhat inevitable at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

Put me in the camp of people who think it's enormously significant that Bob McKenzie was the one to put this out there.

It will suck royally if the Sabres squander Eichel. While the chances of that happening seemed somewhat marginal to me as of February 2020 (~25%), those chances now seem closer to even or even better than 50% given the havoc that the pandemic has wrought on pro sport finances.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

There is absolutely no way to know the truth on the whole thing. If - stress IF - Jack did ask for a trade they may have agreed to keep it quiet to facilitate best value. Or they are simply considering offers for a maybe if the offers are good enough. Maybe Jack said we have to spend big in free agency and get better now or I will want out next year and so they're looking at offers now since they don't want to spend and know they likely won't be good next year. Maybe the owner's have decided 50 years over the best plan moving forward is the cheapest one and a complete reboot (again) there is simply no way to know BUT, I agree that McKenzie rarely talks total BS so it means in the least the Rangers have kicked the tires and thrown out some sort of offer (likely involving that first they lucked into). Whether Adams has ANY interest, who can say and if he's smart he will say Eichel is not being traded period, while privately taking phone calls.

I don't want to trade Eichel, but I do remember Quebec/Colorado won the deal for Lindros so if the deal is sweet enough why not.   IFF Eichel was traded I think I'd also want Reinhart, Skinner and most veterans gone too. Full start over if at all. Pointless if you just ditch your top player to save money. Better a full cultural and personnel reboot IFF you went that way.  

Or maybe... Mackenzie heard the rangers called about Eichel and decided to run with it because in the end he literally reported a giant nothingburger. It was 4 poorly worded tweets that ended up being nothing. So in essence it was BS. 

Eichel isn't being traded and to think otherwise is delusional. 

1 hour ago, miles said:

honestly the media loses its credibility more and more every day

all media or do you have specific examples?

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Or maybe... Mackenzie heard the rangers called about Eichel and decided to run with it because in the end he literally reported a giant nothingburger. It was 4 poorly worded tweets that ended up being nothing. So in essence it was BS. 

I think that’s an obtuse reading of what McKenzie put out there. I’m not saying there’s a fire or will be a fire, but I am confident based on who McKenzie is that there’s some smoke there.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Eichel isn't being traded and to think otherwise is delusional. 

The thing is, Bob didn’t tweet out the rumor, look into it further, then later clarify that it wasn’t anything of substance.

He tweeted the whole thing, rumor and nothingburger, out all at the same time.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think that’s an obtuse reading of what McKenzie put out there. I’m not saying there’s a fire or will be a fire, but I am confident based on who McKenzie is that there’s some smoke there.

Yea, smoke from the rangers. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

The thing is, Bob didn’t tweet out the rumor, look into it further, then later clarify that it wasn’t anything of substance.

Yea which makes it highly suspect. He basically started a tweet by suggesting Eichel might be traded and concluded the thread by saying it wasn't happening. It was complete trash beginning to end. His entire group of tweets amounted to "The Rangers called on Eichel and the Sabres aren't trading him." He manufactured drama and clearly did so deliberately. Otherwise he would have tweeted the Sabres part first instead of waiting 6-10 minutes or whatever it was to get to the ***** point.  

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

Bob is very good at not cluttering the interwebs with junk.

He often tweets stuff in a string from start to finish if there was say 30 minutes of fact checking.  He seldom puts out a rumour then refutes it later.  He does his homework on a big story then puts it all out there in one shot, unless it is just a stand alone thing.

• Like (+1) 1

Believe what you want but this was the dumbest set of tweets Bob may have ever tweeted out. NHL team calls other NHL team about player and they say no. End of story. 

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

Bob is very good at not cluttering the interwebs with junk.

He often tweets stuff in a string from start to finish if there was say 30 minutes of fact checking.  He seldom puts out a rumour then refutes it later.  He does his homework on a big story then puts it all out there in one shot, unless it is just a stand alone thing.

And yet he started a rumor and then proceeded to meander his way to saying it wasn't true. Completely unnecessarily. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 4