Eichel to the NY Rangers?

Ruff Around The Edges

Replying to
“I hear that (trade talk) a lot,” Eichel’s agent Peter Fish said. “Jack wants to win, he’s frustrated (not winning) but, no, he doesn’t want out. Jack is preparing to head to Buffalo at some point here and prepare for the season, whenever that may be. That’s all he controls.”
  • Like (+1) 1

So once we are all finished crapping our pants and yelling at the rumour-mongering media. we should probably ask ourselves "why is this out there?"

Bob McKenzie didn't make this up to get clicks. Doesn't need to.

Somebody wanted that story out there. And wanted it out there now. Who? Why?

My possible theories:

1) Least likely: someone on Botterill's team is still stinging about the purge and wanted to make things uncomfortable for the Sabres.

2) More likely: Jack Eichel is not happy with suggestions the team might be pinching pennies this summer and wanted to send a pointed reminder to the franchise that they need to be making concrete steps to improve the team, now, because their meal ticket is fed up.

3) Most likely: A rival GM(s) is in talks about a significant trade and is trying pressure Adams into upping the offer.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So once we are all finished crapping our pants and yelling at the rumour-mongering media. we should probably ask ourselves "why is this out there?"

My possible theories:

1) Least likely: someone on Botterill's team is still stinging about the purge and wanted to make things uncomfortable for the Sabres.

2) More likely: Jack Eichel is not happy with suggestions the team might be pinching pennies this summer and wanted to send a pointed reminder to the franchise that they need to be making concrete steps to improve the team, now, because their meal ticket is fed up.

3) Most likely: A rival GM(s) is in talks about a significant trade and is trying pressure Adams into upping the offer.

Whether this alleged story has substance or not it is not too difficult to imagine that this "I want out of here" storyline coming from Jack  to be a farfetched consideration. If the Sabres continue to be mired in this decade long muck of irrelevancy and if the team prospects don't change soon then this probably meritless report can develop into a actual story. Does anyone doubt that being stuck in this systematic losing was a factor in ROR becoming disillusioned wearing the Sabre sweater? I not saying that ROR was not without some fault in that departure scenario but long-term losing understandably does have a corrosive effect on an individual. 

Jack is a highly competitive individual who openly exhibits his frustrations. What is called for in order to forestall such a thin rumor from becoming a reality is for the front office to take aggressive actions this offseason to upgrade this roster. If trading our first round pick can accelerate the roster upgrade then I would be receptive to making that move. 

I think it’s pretty strange that Bob tweeted this out at all.  He tweeted the rumor and refuted the rumor all in one sweep.  It’s not like the rumor was out there from other sources and Bob refuted it.  Why did he tweet out a rumor that he investigated and found to not have merit?

Like Dudacek said, Bob doesn’t need the clicks, so why is he even tweeting it at all?

• Like (+1) 5

Jacks sitting there watching these other teams playing and I bet that is frustrating. If we don’t make the playoffs next season I bet this gets turned up into a real thing. 

Turns out it’s not that easy recovering from a tank, and if we don’t figure it out this year the whole reason we tanked, to get Jack, might be gone with the wind. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just listened to Craig Button on 10-40am out of Vancouver. He had no problems laying the blame where many on Sabrespace have pointed the finger in the past. Ownership. In short they’ve bungled their way through the first 10 years of owning the team with no end in sight. Poor hires, 3 gms and what 4 coaches. Yada yada yada.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think it’s pretty strange that Bob tweeted this out at all.  He tweeted the rumor and refuted the rumor all in one sweep.  It’s not like the rumor was out there from other sources and Bob refuted it.  Why did he tweet out a rumor that he investigated and found to not have merit?

Like Dudacek said, Bob doesn’t need the clicks, so why is he even tweeting it at all?

Imagine my surprise when I started making calls today and heard Jack Eichel trade rumours, including unverified chatter he may have at some point recently requested a trade out of BUF and that NYR were amongst interested teams. This, of course, required further investigation.

“I hear that (trade talk) a lot,” Eichel’s agent Peter Fish said. “Jack wants to win, he’s frustrated (not winning) but, no, he doesn’t want out. Jack is preparing to head to Buffalo at some point here and prepare for the season, whenever that may be. That’s all he controls.”

The messaging out of BUF is Sabres aren’t shopping Eichel, there’s no real desire to trade him, but since Kevyn Adams became new GM several clubs have called about Eichel’s availability. NYR believed to be one of the teams that called. So calls were made; calls were taken.

None of those talks with other clubs resulted in Eichel trade traction. But it’s also believed there has been dialogue between Eichel and BUF to ensure they both want the same thing (to get better obviously) and share the same timetable (sooner rather than later).

So, the face-value review appears as follows: Eichel doesn’t want out of BUF; BUF doesn’t want to trade Eichel; move along, nothing to see here. Fair enough. But some rumours are worth checking out/mentioning. Which I’ve now done. Now back to draft prep.

That's ^^^ Bob's complete set of Tweets.

My best answer to your question is "because both the rumour and the answers to it were interesting." I think Bob has illustrated very well through that series of Tweets that there is a great deal of pressure on the Sabres to be better this year.

I will definitely be waiting for Bob's next appearance to see how he expounds on it. Which, of course, is also an equally valid answer to your question.

Edited by dudacek

AN excellent point by ChadD and another reason why someone would want this out there:

Sounds as though the Sabres are less than pleased about today’s events as we’re just about a week out from free agency opening. Feel like we’re missing the point here. A lot of things are going to be happening here with player movement. A leak of an angry star week before UFA/trades where they may want players to waive doesn’t help. That’s the issue. Real bad timing.
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

AN excellent point by ChadD and another reason why someone would want this out there:

Sounds as though the Sabres are less than pleased about today’s events as we’re just about a week out from free agency opening. Feel like we’re missing the point here. A lot of things are going to be happening here with player movement. A leak of an angry star week before UFA/trades where they may want players to waive doesn’t help. That’s the issue. Real bad timing.

Interesting.

I can see this being leaked by a rival GM who might want to sign the same FA or trade for the same guy as KA wants.

The problem is that the Sabres have squandered their credibility as a franchise by tanking, stinking for so long, trading ROR, hiring and firing a bunch of people, etc. -- so this kind of rumor is given more credence than it would if it were instead being said about a respected franchise.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

My possible theories:

I think this is the most likely scenario.  Jack wants TP to spend to get some better forwards and this is a reminder to KA and TP that Jack wants to win and win now or could ask for a trade sooner then later.  The NYR are a great team to spread the rumor about because they have two first rd pick including the first overall pick giving the idea some credibility.   Throw in additional young talent and you have something are discuss in an Eichel trade.  Still not happening.

That said could the Rags be a trading partner for an experienced D man?  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The scary thought is that if TP really IS trying to pinch some pennies, trading Jack for the 1st overall, Kakko, and one of the young goalies, all on entry level contracts - would be an excellent way to go cheaper and save some money. 

Would be the last time I ever would think about the Sabres ever again. I haven't totally got over the ROR deal. Jack? I'd totally be a anti fan hoping they never win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Is that the guy who said that sheery just had bad puck luck, thought Rodriquez deserved a long term deal and called  Josh Allen a clown??