Who should the Sabres target for a veteran defensemen?

SHAAAUGHT!!!

20 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Risto will be in his 8th season. That's pretty veteran, isn't it?

19 hours ago, SabresFanInRochester said:

Rasmus Ristolainen

I've played in as many NHL playoff games as Risto.  There are low cost veterans that are still serviceable on the market that would help this team on the ice - and in the locker room.  Could Risto be the mentor to these younger Dmen?  Probably.  Is he the best guy for that role?  Probably not.

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
  • Like (+1) 1

How about Alec Martinez as an LHD stopgap?

Here's Pierre Lebrun on Martinez:

From talking to other sources around the league, defenceman Alec Martinez, 33, and his $4-million AAV is a possibility to move. Which makes sense not only because he’s UFA in a year but also because if Vegas hopes to sign Pietrangelo it also needs to create a spot on the right side in its top four (Martinez is a left-hand shot who played the right side in the playoffs).

It should be noted Martinez doesn’t have any no-trade protection.

Martinez just turned 33 a couple of months ago.  He's one year away from UFA.  6'1", 209 lbs, doesn't score much but is a good, solid defensive LHD (he's listed as an LHD by dailyfaceoff.com; based on Lebrun's quote above I expect he can play either side) and has played over 21 min per game for the last 5 years.  And no NTC.

If he's a cap dump with 1 year until UFA, he won't cost much.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

How about Alec Martinez as an LHD stopgap?

Here's Pierre Lebrun on Martinez:

Martinez just turned 33 a couple of months ago.  He's one year away from UFA.  6'1", 209 lbs, doesn't score much but is a good, solid defensive LHD (he's listed as an LHD by dailyfaceoff.com; based on Lebrun's quote above I expect he can play either side) and has played over 21 min per game for the last 5 years.  And no NTC.

If he's a cap dump with 1 year until UFA, he won't cost much.

No thanks.  I'd rather sign someone on a fringe 1 year prove me deal, than use draft capitol on someone that isn't a fit past a season or two at most. 

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think the Sabres should keep Risto.  He is not part of the problems with the Sabres.

That said, if he needs to be part of a trade to bring in top 6 forward help then so be it.

It's not as much Risto outright that's been the problem, it's his usage. Which has indisputably been a pretty big problem and a direct detriment to being a good team. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

It's not as much Risto outright that's been the problem, it's his usage. Which has indisputably been a pretty big problem and a direct detriment to being a good team. 

So, would not the solution be to keep a good player, but put him in a position to use his strengths?

8 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, would not the solution be to keep a good player, but put him in a position to use his strengths?

It's a tricky question. I don't think he's a "good" player, but I do think he'd be a good third pair d-man, and hopefully an adequate 2nd pair player. 

Hypothetically yes, to your question. The issue arises in my mind from the feasibility of that scenario - I'm not sure how wise it would be (getting into, "fool me...7 times, shame on me, territory) to expect that from an organization that clearly has a hard on for him, and has yet to show, in 7 years, that they are willing to adjust his usage in a meaningful way. 

It might just be that if Risto is here, he's first pair. If that's the case, I'd absolutely move him, as we wouldn't win that way - but of course, that wouldn't even be an option, to them, in that scenario. In which case, I'm looking to see if he chooses to cut bait with the team in 2 years when his deal is up, despite what I'd imagine would be their fervent attempts to lock him up to a long term deal, keeping him as one of the faces of the franchise. Him wanting to go to UFA would be my last best hope, then. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's a tricky question. I don't think he's a "good" player, but I do think he'd be a good third pair d-man, and hopefully an adequate 2nd pair player. 

Hypothetically yes, to your question. The issue arises in my mind from the feasibility of that scenario - I'm not sure how wise it would be (getting into, "fool me...7 times, shame on me, territory) to expect that from an organization that clearly has a hard on for him, and has yet to show, in 7 years, that they are willing to adjust his usage in a meaningful way. 

It might just be that if Risto is here, he's first pair. If that's the case, I'd absolutely move him, as we wouldn't win that way - but of course, that wouldn't even be an option, to them, in that scenario. 

He is not 1st pair guy, so bring in someone who is and keep Risto as a #4.

I only trade him for top 6 forward help.

36 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He is not 1st pair guy, so bring in someone who is and keep Risto as a #4.

I only trade him for top 6 forward help.

The problem arises from the fact that first pair RHD aren't easy to acquire, right? So I'm operating under the assumption we aren't going to be adding a bonafide 1RHD this offseason. In which case, I'm highly, highly skeptical of the team deciding anyone other than Risto, on this roster, should be playing on the top pair with the most minutes. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/5/2020 at 8:43 AM, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I've played in as many NHL playoff games as Risto.  There are low cost veterans that are still serviceable on the market that would help this team on the ice - and in the locker room.  Could Risto be the mentor to these younger Dmen?  Probably.  Is he the best guy for that role?  Probably not.

Risto is relegated to a serviceable D-man? I think naught.

And, when the team needs an edge, I hate the idea of the guy who plays that way mentoring the younger players. [sarcasm]

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.