Who should the Sabres target for a veteran defensemen?

SHAAAUGHT!!!

So I've been spending a lot of time looking at the Sabres roster to figure out what holes KA may be focusing on for a trade.  After moving Scandella and Bogosian last season the Sabres are fielding a very young blue line, and I see this as a new weakness that needs to be addressed.  We are all aware the Sabres need a LD, and may trade away one of our "older" RDs to get him or a forward, which further perpetuates the need to sign some experience on the backline.

image.thumb.png.94e3b82524ee48b4bfeed2d099b26fc9.png

I can't imagine the Sabres are looking to lock up a new Dman on a long-term contract with Dahlin and Joker in line for raises with significant term.  Is there anyone available out there that fits the mold of an experience LD that can be had for a season or 3?

The O’Rielly trade aside, Boterill‘s incompetence really comes through when you look at his stockpiling of RHD followed by his lack of ability to trade a RHD for help at forward.    Playing most of the season with 7 defenseman was ridiculous.  Probably a slight contributor to Pilut leaving.  

The trade of Scandella (now a solid top 4 LHD on the Blues), for a 4th rounder, was a panic move.  Then he trades a 4th rounder for a more expensive and way less useful Frolik.    Terrible moves.   

So yes, while still need help at forward and we could use a veteran LHD, a hole not there when we had Scandella.  

Adams -   I liked the trade for Staal, even if it is a one or two year stop gap, Staal will help us play better hockey.   With so many teams in financial trouble he might be able to benefit and get us some better players than in “normal” times.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

• nfreeman changed the title to Who should the Sabres target for a veteran defensemen?

From what I can read on Merrill, he seems to be a jack of all trades master of none defensive defenseman.  Strong defensive game, not inept offensively but nothing to write home about.  His profile and metrics actually remind me a lot of McCabe.

Seems like a solid bottom four D-man, who could be had for relatively cheap.  Could be a good complement to a more offense minded RD, or a solid partner for Borgen to develop with.  He got a lot of praise for how he worked with Zach Whitecloud as a rookie.

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why do you want to target a veteran D man? Is it based on an assumption that Montour and/or Risto are not on the roster? We need a third line first. 

The only lefties we have right now are Dahlin and McCabe.  I'd rather get another bottom 4 LHD than push someone like Montour to their off-hand.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Curt said:

Why?  His best skills are PP, which Buffalo doesn’t need.  Buffalo needs someone steady on defense who can contribute on the PK.  I don’t see him as a good fit.

Solid veteran leadership who may have the experience of winning the Cup soon, an affordable price, and could help spark an anemic 2nd PP unit. Especially if Risto or Montour are gone.

5 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I’m ok with the D we had last year and not interested in trading any of them away. 

Who are the 3 guys you want to play at LD then?  Dahlin, McCabe, and ...............?  You want to play Montour out of position again?  Bring Scandella back?  Play Jacob Bryson?

Right now, there are only 2 LD on the roster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.