Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

Curtis Lazar Signs Two Year Extension with Sabres

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

 

9C975ED2-950F-4073-8555-86A9C8793BCA.jpeg

The Sabres are just so dumb.  It isn't even funny the stupid things that they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our 4th line has not been a problem.  We had enough players for two 4th lines.  
 

Hoping to see us bring in another center.  One that could eventually push Staal to 3C. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Hoping to see us bring in another center.  One that could eventually push Staal to 3C. 

I believe that eventually will be 2021-22. I don't envision Staal re-signing with us unless he's totally rejuvenated and reborn in his transition from 1C in MIN to the 2C here. And that would mean another big season (which, could we then afford if he's worth a 2-yr $5M/yr deal on the UFA market as his swan song). Granted, that's best-case scenario for our team. But the eventually is either by this season's trade deadline (hopefully not) or at the conclusion of this upcoming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I get it man; Sbotoka was a perfect example.  On paper he should not have been that effective in a second line role, but they were getting things done those 2 weeks where Skinner - Mojo - and Sbotoka were all healthy.  We need bottom 6 guys like Lazar that provide flexibility when injuries happen or lines need to be mixed up.  Vesey and Frolik were not the type of players that can help with that, Lazar does. 

 

 

 

People keep forgetting Sobotka was injured in November.  The Skinner/ Johansson early season magic was already dissipating by the time Sobotka's season ended in Sweden.

Sobotka was ALWAYS a boat anchor on the Sabres & should never have been anywhere close to a top 6 role.  Skinner/Johansson worked IN SPITE of Sobotka, not because of him.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JohnC said:

As you seem to suggest Lazar is a utility player. There certainly is a role for that type of player. His signing to a reasonable contract is a good move but it is not an influential move. That's what I will be looking for as the offseason advances with the conclusion of the playoffs and the approaching of the draft. 

Utility yes but it bears remembering he's currently our 3rd Centre. I expect another add, though. But my guess is Lazar starts as the 4th C by ice time. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Utility yes but it bears remembering he's currently our 3rd Centre. I expect another add, though. But my guess is Lazar starts as the 4th C by ice time. 

I know you get irritated when it is suggested but I still believe that there is a possibility that Cozens will be our 3C. As you indicate regardless of the position there still needs to be a few more upgrades added to this roster to make this a credible team. We have the wherewithal to get it done. It's up to this new staff to have the wisdom to execute the plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol no I'm not irritated. 

Cozens will hopefully allow a level of flexibility in that it's conceivable to me he'd be ready to shoulder THIRD line C duties this season - it was penciling in for 2nd line C I've always found to be ill-advised. I think the best avenue is for us to acquire a defensive C so Cozens can start on the wing, maybe even on line 3 if we bring in a defensive winger, but a scenario where Cozens starts at 3C and we bring in a couple defensive wingers, where we are looking at a 3rd line of Kahun - Cozens - Fast or something is also something I could see working out. 

It would be a mistake to start Cozens at C on a line with Thompson at RW I think, or Thompson at 2RW. I'll could learn to live with Thompson at 2RW I guess (assuming it's not a massive stretch for him) assuming they do bring in that C for the third line. Counting on a rookie to be 3C AND a player who hasn't established as an NHLer to fortify the top 6 is no bueno and asking for trouble. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

lol no I'm not irritated.

Cozens will hopefully allow a level of flexibility in that it's conceivable to me he'd be ready to shoulder THIRD line C duties this season - it was penciling in for 2nd line C I've always found to be ill-advised. I think the best avenue is for us to acquire a defensive C so Cozens can start on the wing, maybe even on line 3 if we bring in a defensive winger, but a scenario where Cozens starts at 3C and we bring in a couple defensive wingers, where we are looking at a 3rd line of Kahun - Cozens - Fast or something is also something I could see working out. 

It would be a mistake to start Cozens at C on a line with Thompson at RW I think, or Thompson at 2RW. I'll could learn to live with Thompson at 2RW I guess (assuming it's not a massive stretch for him) assuming they do bring in that C for the third line. Counting on a rookie to be 3C AND a player who hasn't established as an NHLer to fortify the top 6 is no bueno and asking for trouble. 

Congratulations! Right in public view you are morphing into a mellow commentator.  Let's celebrate. 🍺

The third line with Kahun/Cozens/Fast that you composed is intriguing. Krueger will have a challenge fitting together the right pieces to the line puzzle. I suspect that there will be a lot of line juggling in the early part of the season. 

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Congratulations! Right in public view you are morphing into a mellow commentator.  Let's celebrate. 🍺

The third line with Kahun/Cozens/Fast that you composed is intriguing. Krueger will have a challenge fitting together the right pieces to the line puzzle. I suspect that there will be a lot of line juggling in the early part of the season.

My expectation is that Krueger will decide during training camp what lines he expects will work & will stick with them unless forced to change due to injuries.  Kind of like what he did last season.

Third pairing & 4th line (by ice time) will be on bit of permanent shuffle rotation, but pretty sure he trusts his own judgment on the other lines and regardless of how much fans might want to see Skinner w/ Eichel (or Staal should he actually be on Jack's line), Ralph will GZF's and stick to his plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taro T said:

My expectation is that Krueger will decide during training camp what lines he expects will work & will stick with them unless forced to change due to injuries.  Kind of like what he did last season.

Third pairing & 4th line (by ice time) will be on bit of permanent shuffle rotation, but pretty sure he trusts his own judgment on the other lines and regardless of how much fans might want to see Skinner w/ Eichel (or Staal should he actually be on Jack's line), Ralph will GZF's and stick to his plan.

What the heck is GZF? I am totally perplexed.  

Assuming there are more additions made to the roster I think there is going to be some line juggling. But that's based on conjecture. Only time will tell how he puts together the top two lines. For what it is worth I still believe that Skinner should be on the Jack line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What the heck is GZF? I am totally perplexed.  

Assuming there are more additions made to the roster I think there is going to be some line juggling. But that's based on conjecture. Only time will tell how he puts together the top two lines. For what it is worth I still believe that Skinner should be on the Jack line. 

Sorry, slightly modified a shorthand from around here to describe GM Murray's attitude: ZFG (zero f#### given).  So, was saying Krueger hives zero ####s.

And, fwiw, still believe that Skinner being at his most useful at the side of the opposition's net forces Eichel to stay higher in the offensive zone than is ideal so my preference is keeping Olofsson or some other LW that may be brought in on Jack's line.  Put Jeff on Staal's line.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Sorry, slightly modified a shorthand from around here to describe GM Murray's attitude: ZFG (zero f#### given).  So, was saying Krueger hives zero ####s.

And, fwiw, still believe that Skinner being at his most useful at the side of the opposition's net forces Eichel to stay higher in the offensive zone than is ideal so my preference is keeping Olofsson or some other LW that may be brought in on Jack's line.  Put Jeff on Staal's line.

I’ve assumed since the trade that that is exactly why Staal was traded for. We have to get Skinner going

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...