NHL season 20/21

steveoath

17 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If there are no fans they should just keep playing bubble hockey for the whole year instead of having a season. Maybe have 4 bubbles, Each division plays in a bubble, has a round robin sort of thing, prize to the winner. Then mix it up like in the worlds where the top teams go to one bubble and play, etc. Winner of the loser bowl gets to move up, loser of the next tier down, and then the top 24 of all that has a playoff for the Stanley cup. 

Something like that. Everybody plays. Lots of games, lots of stuff for each team at each level and only 4 (and then 2) safer locations. maybe all 4 in Canada. Just don't see how it'd work with extensive travel and cross border.

I’m in favor of this idea. 

Lots of rivalry to be bred and developed in this concept. 63-70 game season, with 9-10 games against each of the Leafs, Bruins, Canadiens, etc...could be fun. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Curt said:

From a TV standpoint, I don’t think having fans in the seats vs not makes that much of a difference.

It doesn't from a TV standpoint.  But the NHL, as opposed to the NFL, is a gate driven league with TV making up a far smaller percentage of revenue.  They're going to get as many butts in the seats as the governments will allow.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

is your enjoyment / interest in the games on TV affected by having no fans in the stands?  Surprisingly, mine hasn't nearly as much as expected.

Yes, there is definitely an energy and atmosphere that lacks. I love every bit of the cinematic aspect. It's not nearly as important as in Baseball, but...the noise as the teams come out...during momentum swings...it does hit a bit different. 

I'm still enjoying the games, but the product is not an equal product to the one with fans. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.