Seattle Expansion Thread

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Out of curiosity, when will their name be announced? Wonder if they will have a community poll like we did.

The Seattle Times did a poll of the names known to have been submitted for trademark. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/sockeyes-or-totems-announcing-the-winner-of-our-unofficial-tournament-to-name-seattles-nhl-team/

Sockeyes won locally.

Edit: As to when... it's got to be soon. Probably after football season ends and before spring training reports. (No basketball, so there's ample down time for hockey to take center ice)

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The Seattle Times did a poll of the names known to have been submitted for trademark. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/sockeyes-or-totems-announcing-the-winner-of-our-unofficial-tournament-to-name-seattles-nhl-team/

Sockeyes won locally.

Edit: As to when... it's got to be soon. Probably after football season ends and before spring training reports. (No basketball, so there's ample down time for hockey to take center ice)

Seriously? Sockeyes?

That might be even more demeaning than the Scheisskopfen.

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

Seriously? Sockeyes?

That might be even more demeaning than the Scheisskopfen.

Ach, der Scheiβkopf! Nicht, nicht, und immer nicht. Der Kopf? Das Kopf? I had it right, der Kopf.

Seattlelites are really big into their alliteration. Sounder/Sonic/Storm/Seahawk. So Sockeye works. (And I'd go Sockeye, no s. Refer to it as a school of spawning sockeye.) They're beautiful fish. edit: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... they're sorta crazy fish, but beautiful.

Just no kraken or metropolitan for me. I'd love to see them be the geoducks just for a larf. For those of you who don't know a geoduck: it's a clam. Delicious clams that you can saute or eat as sushi. Local to the Puget Sound. However, if you look up an image of a geoduck, then you'd realize the joke and why the one local college with a geoduck as its mascot is having fun with it. Go ahead, look up an image of a geoduck.

Edited by DarthEbriate

7 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Ach, der Scheiβkopf! Nicht, nicht, und immer nicht. Der Kopf? Das Kopf? I had it right, der Kopf.

Seattlelites are really big into their alliteration. Sounder/Sonic/Storm/Seahawk. So Sockeye works. (And I'd go Sockeye, no s. Refer to it as a school of spawning sockeye.) They're beautiful fish. edit: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... they're sorta crazy fish, but beautiful.

Just no kraken or metropolitan for me. I'd love to see them be the geoducks just for a larf. For those of you who don't know a geoduck: it's a clam. Delicious clams that you can saute or eat as sushi. Local to the Puget Sound. However, if you look up an image of a geoduck, then you'd realize the joke and why the one local college with a geoduck as its mascot is having fun with it. Go ahead, look up an image of a geoduck.

After dropping their entry back a year, they'll always be den Scheiβkopfen zum mir. ?

• 5 months later...

So post-season i was thinking about this... what does this look like?

FWD-Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner (NMC, must be protected), Olofsson, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Okposo

D-Dahlin, Jokiharju, Montour/Risto (still holding out hope they trade one), McCabe, Borgen, Miller

G-Ullmark

The protected forwards are probably not even on the roster, and it doesn't make sense to protect 8 skaters unless they still have both montour and risto - or borgen shows some usefulness.  I don't think it matters either way as i think this team will be reshaped a bit before 2020-2021 anyway.  

On 6/22/2020 at 4:17 PM, Drag0nDan said:

So post-season i was thinking about this... what does this look like?

FWD-Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner (NMC, must be protected), Olofsson, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Okposo

D-Dahlin, Jokiharju, Montour/Risto (still holding out hope they trade one), McCabe, Borgen, Miller

G-Ullmark

The protected forwards are probably not even on the roster, and it doesn't make sense to protect 8 skaters unless they still have both montour and risto - or borgen shows some usefulness.  I don't think it matters either way as i think this team will be reshaped a bit before 2020-2021 anyway.  

Kahun is going to be protected.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Botterill’s last move going to be his best? 
I think it might be.

better then Jokiharju for Nylander?

Interesting fact on Kahun from the Hockey News

In two NHL seasons, Kahun, 24, quietly ranks 30th in first assists per 60 and 66th in points per 60 among 683 NHL skaters with at least 500 minutes played at 5-on-5.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Honestly, I think the jury is still out on Kahun. We've seen so little. 

Right now, I view Kahun as a good 3rd liner that's likely gonna get stuck playing 2RW, where he likely won't quite be up to snuff. I have a feeling we won't view him quite so positively next season, but that's more due to not having 2 good top 6 Rw than him being bad.

6 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Right now, I view Kahun as a good 3rd liner that's likely gonna get stuck playing 2RW, where he likely won't quite be up to snuff. I have a feeling we won't view him quite so positively next season, but that's more due to not having 2 good top 6 Rw than him being bad.

I definitely see this being the case if we don't bring in a true 2C. With a good C there, and one of Skinner or Reinhart, I'd think Kahun has a fighting chance to slide into the top 6 adequately. Left wing/right wing. But if we're looking at a Johansson-Kahun type 2C-2RW pairing, where Kahun is arguably the 2nd/tied for 2nd best player on the line, I don't think we'll be looking at him in the same way. 

He's the EXACT type of player (a good, useful asset with strong utility) we've been manually mitigating the results of for so long by asking too much of them. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.