Seattle Expansion Thread

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Did this name change just happen?  I would have sworn that I saw the name Key Arena just a few days ago.

Yes. It’s been the Key Arena since the ‘90s I think.

Amazon bought the rights and chose this name over slapping their own name on it.

20 hours ago, Taro T said:

It's their money; they can call it what they want.

The history of this concept is quite interesting here in Buffalo.

Many know that the Rich Products Corporation wanted the stadium to be called "Coffee Rich Park," and the Bills vetoed that.

But the dispute went on far after it was named "Rich Stadium."  The Bills refused to use that name in any official literature, any communications, on game tickets, etc.  So Rich had to sue.  And won.

Also, I think "Lemon Scented Pledge Arena" has a nice aroma to it.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The history of this concept is quite interesting here in Buffalo.

Many know that the Rich Products Corporation wanted the stadium to be called "Coffee Rich Park," and the Bills vetoed that.

But the dispute went on far after it was named "Rich Stadium."  The Bills refused to use that name in any official literature, any communications, on game tickets, etc.  So Rich had to sue.  And won.

Also, I think "Lemon Scented Pledge Arena" has a nice aroma to it.

Yep.  Pretty sure Rich Stadium was the very 1st major stadium in NA to have the naming rights sold.  And Ralph Wilson absolutely despised that decision to sell the naming rights.  He did everything he could to minimize the value of the naming rights which is why the stadium had very small black block letters identifying it as such.

But you really think an arena in Seattle will have a nice aroma?  Flannels infused with coffee, patchouli,  vape smoke, and most likely a lack of deodorant smell nice? Maybe after being sprayed with a can of Lemon Pledge, but not before.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I used to be able to go down to the Key to watch women's roller derby league. I'm curious as to what we'll call it locally. Check out the taxation on trade routes at the CPA? Catch a game at the CliP? Salute your local team at the Pledge?

A lot of corporate stuff doesn’t roll off the tongue very well.

The one that hurts my ears is Fifth Third Bank.

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

But you really think an arena in Seattle will have a nice aroma?  Flannels infused with coffee, patchouli,  vape smoke, and most likely a lack of deodorant smell nice? Maybe after being sprayed with a can of Lemon Pledge, but not before.

You're aware that Kurt Cobain died in like 1994 or something, right?

Vogl's protected list from The Athletic (I can't seem to cancel the subscription):

Skinner (mandatory)

Eichel

Reinhart

Olofsson

Mittlestadt 

Kahun

Thompson  OR a forward signed in free agency

Dahlin

Jokiharju

Ristolainen

Ullmark

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Vogl's protected list from The Athletic (I can't seem to cancel the subscription):

Skinner (mandatory)

Eichel

Reinhart

Olofsson

Mittlestadt 

Kahun

Dahlin

Jokiharju

Ristolainen

Ullmark

Unless we see significant progress from Mitts soon, I'm betting he gets dealt before the expansion draft.

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Skinner (mandatory)

Eichel

Reinhart

Olofsson

Mittlestadt 

Kahun

Dahlin

Jokiharju

Ristolainen

Ullmark

Well, on the off chance that there's no '20-'21 season then at minimum Mittelstadt, Olofsson, & Dahlin don't need to be protected; possibly also Jokiharju, & less likely Kahun & Thompson.  (None of them would have the extra year of experience to make them have to be exposed/protected.

So, that could be a silver lining to this whole mess.  (But would have money on them playing some form of a season.)

33 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, on the off chance that there's no '20-'21 season then at minimum Mittelstadt, Olofsson, & Dahlin don't need to be protected; possibly also Jokiharju, & less likely Kahun & Thompson.  (None of them would have the extra year of experience to make them have to be exposed/protected.

So, that could be a silver lining to this whole mess.  (But would have money on them playing some form of a season.)

I bet the PA would get them that extra year of service through the negotiations that would have to happen if the season is lost.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I bet the PA would get them that extra year of service through the negotiations that would have to happen if the season is lost.

But there are different definitions of a year of service even within the CBA when looking at different matters.  (Pensions, FA, waiver exemptions, ELC's just ottomh.)  There are 29 teams that absolutely don't want that year of service (or lack thereof) to count against their roster exemption rules.  One team probably wants to side with those 29 & only 1 wants it to go the other way.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

That's fine as long as that year does not count towards expansion. Teams like Buffalo are going to get screwed already by expansion being pushed back a year. My only hope is Adams is clever. 

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

How come there are a few uncertainties (Joki, Kahun, etc)?

Edited by Thorny

On 6/26/2020 at 5:15 PM, Eleven said:

You're aware that Kurt Cobain died in like 1994 or something, right?

April 5/94. 

I wore the flannel in the early 80s. Highschool. Cobain / Seattle stole that look from me lol. Theres an area of Nanaimo called Harewood that at one time was considered the wrong side of the tracks. They call the flannel a Harewood dinner jacket. 

Now back to your regular programming.

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Unless this is elsewhere, I was hoping for a one stop shop record of everything Kevyn Adams has done as the Sabres General Manager. I know people like to make individual threads for one move. And that's fine, but how about a catch all thread that posters can click on that has a full accurate record of everything he's done.

I am the last one to know everything he's done since his GM start date of June 16th, 2020. This first post will hopefully stay current throughout his tenure. It may take a day or two or three depending when i get a chance to update it. So posters ... help me out. Who has he hired? Who has he fired? Who has he acquired? Who has he drafted? Who has he traded? Any and all things he's done since June 16th 2020. And the date of it too would be great! Thanks!

June 16th 2020 ... Sabres Acquire Center Eric Staal from Wild for Marcus Johansson.

July 31st 2020 ... Sabres sign Brett Murray to ELC. Two year deal.

August 14th 2020 ... Seth Appert Hired as Amerks HC/Adam Mair and Mike Weber Named Asst Coaches

June 16?

Just now, Zamboni said:

Ah ok. Yea, if you could track down the dates and who he let go (names or titles). I’m having trouble finding that info. Weird...

Yeah, that's not happening.  But am fairly certain somebody w/ more time on their hands WILL track that down for us.  The peeps o n this site are usually helpful that way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.