Cozens takes aim at WJC repeat, Sabres roster spot and a moose

Eleven

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Skim the 2019 draft thread, basically everyone liked the Cozens pick. 

of course, but I do not remember many as confident of it as I was based on what I knew about him because, if you remember, I talked about him and my daughter crossing paths in Yale Secondary when he attended their hockey academy. His dedication and drive to be a great hockey player is off the charts, which is why I am not in the least surprised he's already put on so much weight/muscle. The curve will be steep and quick. 

On 11/22/2020 at 7:59 AM, LGR4GM said:

So excited to see Cozens on the Sabres (I would say in camp but idk how much of camp he will see with the WJC). 

So much more excited for Cozens than I am Quinn.  Though if Cozens can usurp Staal after one season and Quinn can come in and play in the top nine that will be productive.  Cozens has the size, the moxy and the ability to be a Jeff Carter type player.  The more I watch him the more I see him do creative things, and also having the ability to score in multiple ways.  Szie, speed and character.  Yes, yes, yes.  I still want to see what Casey has to show in camp.  I want that kid so badly to make this roster and push some players out of the team 😄.   Aka Eakin.  If you can make Eakin a 4th line center, I'll feel a lot better about that terrible signing.

• Like (+1) 1

Quinn should be a top 6 forward. Really depends on his development though. 

Cozens is really good. He has a full year of development that Quinn doesn't. We shouldn't really be comparing the two. We should be happy if Cozens doesn't plateau in dramatic fashion like Mitts did. 

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Quinn should be a top 6 forward. Really depends on his development though. 

Cozens is really good. He has a full year of development that Quinn doesn't. We shouldn't really be comparing the two. We should be happy if Cozens doesn't plateau in dramatic fashion like Mitts did. 

Thankfully there is actually a 2C on the roster allowing us to bring along Cozens properly, but Cozens not replicating Mittelstadt's early years is to me a forgone conclusion. It goes back to why Cozens is a much surer lock than Quinn - his steady growth as a prospect over several years. 

Casey's stats were always questionable as he played high school hockey, and his college stats were nothing to write home about. Mittelstadt was hype, Cozens has foundation. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

Thankfully there is actually a 2C on the roster allowing us to bring along Cozens properly, but Cozens not replicating Mittelstadt's early years is to me a forgone conclusion. It goes back to why Cozens is a much surer lock than Quinn - his steady growth as a prospect over several years. 

Casey's stats were always questionable as he played high school hockey, and his college stats were nothing to write home about. Mittelstadt was hype, Cozens has foundation. 

Yes having a legit 2C is going to help.  If Cozens makes the team I hope he plays 3C.  I don't need him starting on the wing.  Every one of our future centres who started on the wing never went back.  Shelter him but let him learn the position at the NHL level.

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

Yes having a legit 2C is going to help.  If Cozens makes the team I hope he plays 3C.  I don't need him starting on the wing.  Every one of our future centres who started on the wing never went back.  Shelter him but let him learn the position at the NHL level.

Other than Sam, what future centers started at wing and never went back?

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Other than Sam, what future centers started at wing and never went back?

Sam was the main.  Mitts was the other one.  Maybe it was just a case that he wasn't good enough period.  But when drafted it was to be a centre and he did not work out being put on the wing (again maybe it wouldn't have worked at C either). 

We have two legit centres on the depth chart so I have no problem with him sliding into 3C rather then 2 or 3 winger.

5 hours ago, Derrico said:

Sam was the main.  Mitts was the other one.  Maybe it was just a case that he wasn't good enough period.  But when drafted it was to be a centre and he did not work out being put on the wing (again maybe it wouldn't have worked at C either). 

We have two legit centres on the depth chart so I have no problem with him sliding into 3C rather then 2 or 3 winger.

Mitts definitely had his share of chances at center.  I don't know how you could see otherwise.  The idea that this teams' front office has ruined centers by playing them at wing just doesn't have any real evidence behind it.

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Mitts definitely had his share of chances at center.  I don't know how you could see otherwise.  The idea that this teams' front office has ruined centers by playing them at wing just doesn't have any real evidence behind it.

I'd say at least 95 per cent of Casey's shifts have been at centre.

However nine games at age 18 and a similar stint at 21, the vast majority flanked by the likes of Benoit Pouliot and Seth Griffith was not a fair shot for Sam Reinhart.

Edited by dudacek

52 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t recall seeing him at Center very often, if at all.

28 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I don’t recall seeing him at Center very often, if at all.

Funny.  Pretty sure we could count his starts at wing on a single hand.

Except for that short callup at the end of his draft year he was rarely at wing.  Definitely that next year he was almost always a C.  Might try to go back & relook at where he played last year; thought he was almost always a C then again.

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Funny.  Pretty sure we could count his starts at wing on a single hand.

Except for that short callup at the end of his draft year he was rarely at wing.  Definitely that next year he was almost always a C.  Might try to go back & relook at where he played last year; thought he was almost always a C then again.

He was, I think they just letting him take faceoffs for a bit in there. 

Interview with Cozens in quarantine. He is on the food committee.  

https://www.tsn.ca/masters-dylan-cozens-on-how-team-canada-is-coping-with-quarantine-1.1557802

What's your video game of choice and who are you playing with?

"Right now, the game of choice is the new Call of Duty: Cold War and everyone's getting on that. I was back in London six weeks before this so my new gaming buddies are [Saginaw defenceman] Mason Millman and [Saginaw centre] Ryan Suzuki, but we're starting to play with everyone now."

Bob McKenzie today had Cozens as one of seven locks up front for Canada.

He had Quinn as one of five front runners for the final seven forward spots.

He also singled out Cozens as a one of three possible captains.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Bob McKenzie today had Cozens as one of seven locks up front for Canada.

He had Quinn as one of five front runners for the final seven forward spots.

He also singled out Cozens as a one of three possible captains.

Cozens def has a shot at captain but at the least will be an assistant captain. 

Quinn making the team is a bonus that I hope happens. He needs the experience and we need to see him against the best his age. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/24/2020 at 4:21 AM, TheCerebral1 said:

So much more excited for Cozens than I am Quinn.  Though if Cozens can usurp Staal after one season and Quinn can come in and play in the top nine that will be productive.  Cozens has the size, the moxy and the ability to be a Jeff Carter type player.  The more I watch him the more I see him do creative things, and also having the ability to score in multiple ways.  Szie, speed and character.  Yes, yes, yes.  I still want to see what Casey has to show in camp.  I want that kid so badly to make this roster and push some players out of the team 😄.   Aka Eakin.  If you can make Eakin a 4th line center, I'll feel a lot better about that terrible signing.

Or ....  when you see Casey play you may be dam happy that we did sign Eakin. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.