Sabres Acquire Center Eric Staal from Wild for Marcus Johansson

Brawndo

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

I don't have vendettas against you or anyone else.

I will point out that you always see the bottom side of the coin.  Always.

Not true, but so what? What's it to ya? And if I need some kind of intervention, it's hilarious that you're the one always trying to lead the way.

(Obvious example: I was an early and maybe the first adopter of Krueger, while most others were Debbie Downers. I still think he's the best hope for a turnaround. I tried to have a little fun with a nickname, and the board management chose to auto correct it to his full title and name.)

Edited by PASabreFan

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Not true, but so what? What's it to ya? And if I need some kind of intervention, it's hilarious that you're the one always trying to lead the way.

(Obvious example: I was an early and maybe the first adopter of Krueger, while most others were Debbie Downers. I still think he's the best hope for a turnaround. I tried to have a little fun with a nickname, and the board management chose to auto correct it to his full title and name.)

RaKru!!

On 9/19/2020 at 3:40 PM, Curt said:

If you don’t know who is getting pooped on, maybe the poops on you.

Weak

Follow the dialogue properly or butt out.

23 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

You're welcome to enjoy to try to enjoy the team however you see fit.  The Sabres organization right now is a corpse and all of us are at the wake.  I assume you've been to a wake before.  There will be some people at a wake who recount pleasant happy memories and tell wonderful stories about the deceased, there will be some who are desperately hoping it's all a prank and the deceased will leap out of the casket at any moment, there are some who will look at the deceased and say things like "They look good", there are some who will cry and make emotional declarations, and there will be some people who try to cope with the situation by making themselves, and possibly some others, laugh by making jokes and being inappropriate.  Figure out which person you are.  I know which one I am.  Go hang out at whichever part of the wake makes you the most comfortable it really doesn't concern me. When I say my posts aren't made for you I genuinely mean that.  When I post in a topic asking whether I believe in Mitts or Thompson it's going to be a smart alecky response of some nature because the fact that those are probably our top two prospects not named Dylan Cozens is truly sad.  Making a joke out of distracts me from the fact that our prospect pool is trash and that in and of itself means that the wake will be longer.  Most of the posts I make are trying to make light of a situation that is such an ongoing mess that if you don't make fun of it it's just beyond bleak.

I don't post for you. I post for myself. If you find value in my posts and they help you get through your day that's fine.  If you don't, well I guess that's just too bad because I'm going to keep doing it. You're welcome to make use of the ignore button and go stand in a different corner of the funeral home. You be a Sabres fan however you want to and I'll do the same.  Thanks.

That's pretty embarrassing, IMO.  You go to funerals (using your analogy and words), to make fun of and poop on the deceased?

Edited by 7+6=13

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Anyone seen any comments from Johanson on the trade? I've seen Staal stuff but nothing from Marcus anywhere not even on Minnesota sites. Just curious. 

Minnesota fan sites range from indifferent to unhappy. 

Maybe he just vanished into thin air! Maybe he never even existed!

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Anyone seen any comments from Johanson on the trade? I've seen Staal stuff but nothing from Marcus anywhere not even on Minnesota sites. Just curious. 

Minnesota fan sites range from indifferent to unhappy. 

https://www.nhl.com/wild/video/johansson-joins-familiar-mn-faces/t-277437412/c-5416884

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Just reading up on Staal and looks like we could see a few milestones (if things go well).

Currently he has 436g, 585a in 1240 games.

I'd be hoping to see goal number 450, and 600th assist this year. Possiblt 1300 nhl games too depending on the length of this season. 

Go Sabres 

Really hope he comes in refreshed and fired up, as opposed to tired and asking himself 'why?'

Can see it going either way.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Really hope he comes in refreshed and fired up, as opposed to tired and asking himself 'why?'

Can see it going either way.

Staal is a mature person who has been in the hockey business for a long time. He's well aware that being traded and having his family moved is very often an inescapable part of the unsentimental profession he is. That doesn't mean that he is fully happy with what has transpired but he has no choice other than to retire. And I have no doubt that his financial status would allow him to do so if he wanted to take that course. Staal is a very down to earth and low maintenance person. The issue with him is not whether he is going to enthusiastically adapt to his new location but rather is his tank still full? I believe that although he isn't what he was a few years ago he is still a very good player. When you are in a very lucrative profession it is very rational even at the end of one's professional lifespan to eek out another year, and another year. My point is that he's not a person that I am worried about how he is affected about this move. 

Its amazing how a tank can empty when enthusiasm diminishes.  I don’t think we should underestimate this.  Even hardened pros can lose enthusiasm in the wrong environment and begin to lose effectiveness. 

Looking at you, ROR.

Not saying this is the case here.  Am saying there is a real possibility that it could play out this way.  As Duda mentioned, very plausible it goes either way.  He didn’t want to be here. He’s coming because right now it is the preferred option for him.  That isn’t a permanent condition.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Staal is a mature person who has been in the hockey business for a long time. He's well aware that being traded and having his family moved is very often an inescapable part of the unsentimental profession he is. That doesn't mean that he is fully happy with what has transpired but he has no choice other than to retire. And I have no doubt that his financial status would allow him to do so if he wanted to take that course. Staal is a very down to earth and low maintenance person. The issue with him is not whether he is going to enthusiastically adapt to his new location but rather is his tank still full? I believe that although he isn't what he was a few years ago he is still a very good player. When you are in a very lucrative profession it is very rational even at the end of one's professional lifespan to eek out another year, and another year. My point is that he's not a person that I am worried about how he is affected about this move. 

The part you are missing here is that even the most professional and grounded hockey player still comes to a point where they see the end and the sacrifice stops being worth it.

It can arrive at any time. it almost did for Staal four years ago.

Gil Perreault could still play when he called it quits, but he didn't want to. Staal has to continue to see playing for the Sabres as worthwhile.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Its amazing how a tank can empty when enthusiasm diminishes.  I don’t think we should underestimate this.  Even hardened pros can lose enthusiasm in the wrong environment and begin to lose effectiveness. 

Looking at you, ROR.

Not saying this is the case here.  Am saying there is a real possibility that it could play out this way.  As Duda mentioned, very plausible it goes either way.  He didn’t want to be here. He’s coming because right now it is the preferred option for him.  That isn’t a permanent condition.

Just now, dudacek said:

The part you are missing here is that even the most professional and grounded hockey player still comes to a point where they see the end and the sacrifice stops being worth it.

Gil Perreault could still play when he called it quits, but he didn't want to. He has to see playing for the Sabres as worthwhile.

Totally agree with these and would just add that motivating Staal will be a good challenge for RK’s talents.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Gil Perreault could still play when he called it quits, but he didn't want to. Staal has to continue to see playing for the Sabres as worthwhile.

I understand your point but Staal has agreed to the trade. If he said after he was informed of the trade that he needed more time to think this over then I would be more receptive to your point. But that's not what happened here. There is no doubt that he would prefer staying in Minnesota. That's understandable for this family man. But as I stated before this grounded man has been in the business for a long time, and he is well aware that he, like everyone else, is subjected to the vagaries of this lucrative but also unsentimental business. He's one player that when he puts on the uniform of his new team that I have little worry about his state of mind. I'm more worried about someone his age having his physical abilities drop of the clift. Based on his performance last year I'm hopeful that he still has enough juice in him. 

Edited by JohnC

37 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I understand your point but Staal has agreed to the trade. If he said after he was informed of the trade that he needed more time to think this over then I would be more receptive to your point. But that's not what happened here. There is no doubt that he would prefer staying in Minnesota. That's understandable for this family man. But as I stated before this grounded man has been in the business for a long time, and he is well aware that he, like everyone else, is subjected to the vagaries of this lucrative but also unsentimental business. He's one player that when he puts on the uniform of his new team that I have little worry about his state of mind. I'm more worried about someone his age having his physical abilities drop of the clift. Based on his performance last year I'm hopeful that he still has enough juice in him. 

I understand your point and acknowledge you may be correct. But for me, I am less concerned about his physical state than his mental state.

Perreault agreed to come back for the 86-87 season after initially suggesting he was going to retire. Six weeks of bad Sabres hockey later, and he changed his mind.

People make decisions they later regret all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I understand your point and acknowledge you may be correct. But for me, I am less concerned about his physical state than his mental state.

Perreault agreed to come back for the 86-87 season after initially suggesting he was going to retire. Six weeks of bad Sabres hockey later, and he changed his mind.

People make decisions they later regret all the time.

Do you know what the difference between the Perreault era and the Staal era? It is the humongous salary scale of the current era versus the relative paltry salary scale of the past Perrault era. When your bank account is overflowing with today's money that certainly is a factor to influence your decision to extend your hockey lifespan. Trust me, there is no need to be concerned with our new 2C's attitude. He is a man of integrity who plays with integrity. Garnering an extra year or so of bonanza money will allow him to be free of regrets when he does decide to leave the game. When Staal is ready to walk away he will do it with his head held up high. And let's not forget that he's the one who has made the decision to stay in the game.   

Although I disagree with your central point you do bring up another point that is very legitimate and also potent: A team that is competitive is more likely to have players who are happy. A team that has been middling for a decade needs a jolt and needs to experience success in order to break the negative psychology of losing. That is an argument for the organization to exhibit urgency to upgrade the talent level and become successful sooner rather than later.  I'm sure on that point you and I are in accord. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I understand your point but Staal has agreed to the trade

I don’t understand this.  It wasn’t for Staal to agree or disagree.  Buffalo wasn’t on his no fly zone list.  They were free to trade him here.   His choice was accept the trade or retire.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t understand this.  It wasn’t for Staal to agree or disagree.  Buffalo wasn’t on his no fly zone list.  They were free to trade him here.   His choice was accept the trade or retire.

FWIW, the only reason Buffalo was not on his M-NTC,  he never expected Buffalo to trade for him.

Let's hope we can get another centre to help cushion the entry of Cozens et al into the league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.