Jump to content
Brawndo

Sabres Acquire Center Eric Staal from Wild for Marcus Johansson

Recommended Posts

Just now, Pimlach said:

Replace Sobotka with a Selke Trophy type of player.  Sure,  but who and for how much.  

Oh, I don't think they can get that, but they might be able to get the Jochen Hecht version.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don’t like Staal. I’ll be happy when he puts up points for the Sabres. Other than that, he can pound sand.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I really don’t like Staal. I’ll be happy when he puts up points for the Sabres. Other than that, he can pound sand.

LOL. This is how I felt about acquiring Skinner.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh, I don't think they can get that, but they might be able to get the Jochen Hecht version.

Valeri Nichushkin is an RFA. How about him. The Avs have a ton of free agents and about 2.5 million dollars to work with.

And re-sign Larsson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First words out of my mouth were, "I hate that dude but I'll root for him on the Sabres" good trade 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Execute... order 4!

Save cap space, get trade value at the deadline, no need to protect him in the expansion draft, mentor for Cozens, can play in all situations, can handle 2nd PP minutes, not an undersized/lightweight center like Ruotsalainen, and although he has declined statistically he hasn't fallen off a cliff statistically---he can still play, and we only need him to play well for one year, maybe two. It's a really solid single move. Now... stack a couple more good moves.

You may fire at will, GM Kheevyn.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Who would you rather have... Bjugstad or Staal?

Staal, every day.  He's proven.

Also, if things don't totally pan out in Buffalo, he's worth more at the deadline than Johansson or Bjugstad.  He'd net a return just for his leadership and experience.

Why does Minnesota want him gone?  He's not a Guerin guy and Minnesota is about to rebuild, hard.  They want something younger.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, LTS said:

Staal, every day.  He's proven.

Also, if things don't totally pan out in Buffalo, he's worth more at the deadline than Johansson or Bjugstad.  He'd net a return just for his leadership and experience.

Why does Minnesota want him gone?  He's not a Guerin guy and Minnesota is about to rebuild, hard.  They want something younger.

Yes, I think Minnesota wants to go younger and faster. Perhaps they see Donato taking a leap forward and they plan to use Johanson as a winger. If they see Johanson as a center they are likely making a mistake. 

Now I want them to give us back Marcus Foligno. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, I think Minnesota wants to go younger and faster. Perhaps they see Donato taking a leap forward and they plan to use Johanson as a winger. If they see Johanson as a center they are likely making a mistake. 

Now I want them to give us back Marcus Foligno. 

According to Russo they intend for Johansson to be a C in Minnesota. 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minnesota were talking about bringing in Minnesota guys to the team.  I wonder if they wanted Mitts for Staal and Adams balked at it and they settled for  Johansson.

Edited by Flashsabre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric can pass, but I like that he's a bit more of a shooter. Skinner feasts on rebounds in close - it's why he scored 40 with Jack - who even as a playmaker is also a volume shooter. I just really like the Skinner - Staal fit. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Eric can pass, but I like that he's a bit more of a shooter. Skinner feasts on rebounds in close - it's why he scored 40 with Jack - who even as a playmaker is also a volume shooter. I just really like the Skinner - Staal fit. 

I'm pretty sure they rarely played together in Carolina. Which is weird because I agree with your point.

Prime Eric Staal was a pretty similar package to Jack, in that he had all the tools.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about it, I think Skinner-Eichel-Kahun  would be a decent line. Kahun is good at primary assists, and would likely thrive on a line with 2 good scorers. That would free up a second line of Olofsson-Staal-Reinhart, which should be really solid. The third line though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Thinking about it, I think Skinner-Eichel-Kahun  would be a decent line. Kahun is good at primary assists, and would likely thrive on a line with 2 good scorers. That would free up a second line of Olofsson-Staal-Reinhart, which should be really solid. The third line though...

Third liners are much easier to pick up, so a much better position to be in.

I would quite like McCann or Copp or someone like that on the third line - a player who could step up to the second for short stints 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broadly I really like this move. It fills the gap we needed and is clearly a show of confidence in Cozens. Johnson was a fine player for us, but nothing special so the cost was great.

I have two concerns with it. Firstly Staals age. He has played well last few years but you can’t not think on a rapid decline happening. Two, he was reportedly very comfortable in Minny and I worry he will be less productive because he doesn’t want to be here (a comment on Minny or Buffalo). But he is always touted as a professional and will help Jack and Dylan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Thinking about it, I think Skinner-Eichel-Kahun  would be a decent line. Kahun is good at primary assists, and would likely thrive on a line with 2 good scorers. That would free up a second line of Olofsson-Staal-Reinhart, which should be really solid. The third line though...

3rd line is easy.   You put the best prospect not in the NHL  that is Cozens as 3 C and get him a UFA winger.

Thompson - Cozens - craig smith.   But all depends on what kind of ufa RW we can get.   Kahun will slide to 3rd line where he should be if we sign dadonov or hoffman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I'm thinking more like this now.   But also depends on what we do with our 8OA -  I'm really hoping Holtz drops to us and we fix our RW hole.

VO - Eichel - Samson

Skinner - Staal - Thompson

Kahun - Cozens - Craig smith / ufa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Personally I'm thinking more like this now.   But also depends on what we do with our 8OA -  I'm really hoping Holtz drops to us and we fix our RW hole.

VO - Eichel - Samson

Skinner - Staal - Thompson

Kahun - Cozens - Craig smith / ufa

Or Jarvis, Raymond at 8. That would do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

Broadly I really like this move. It fills the gap we needed and is clearly a show of confidence in Cozens. Johnson was a fine player for us, but nothing special so the cost was great.

I have two concerns with it. Firstly Staals age. He has played well last few years but you can’t not think on a rapid decline happening. Two, he was reportedly very comfortable in Minny and I worry he will be less productive because he doesn’t want to be here (a comment on Minny or Buffalo). But he is always touted as a professional and will help Jack and Dylan.

It's a 1 year deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

3rd line is easy.   You put the best prospect not in the NHL  that is Cozens as 3 C and get him a UFA winger.

Thompson - Cozens - craig smith.   But all depends on what kind of ufa RW we can get.   Kahun will slide to 3rd line where he should be if we sign dadonov or hoffman.

Thompson is a right wing, there's no reason to play him on his off wing. I would be very hesitant to play a line of ???? - Cozens - Tage

1 hour ago, Sabre1974 said:

Or Jarvis, Raymond at 8. That would do

None of them are NHL ready. Raymond in particular is probably 2 years away (1 more SHL year, 1 full AHL year). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Yawn.

 

Tired Britney Spears GIF

Welcome back! 

🍺

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Thompson is a right wing, there's no reason to play him on his off wing. I would be very hesitant to play a line of ???? - Cozens - Tage

We’ve done it before with great success.  Vanek Roy and Max for example.

Maybe there is a stop gap RW to play with Staal and we can move Kahun to Cozens line.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I saw this trade, it didn't move. I'll wait to judge until I see the old bastard play a handful of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...