Sabres Acquire Center Eric Staal from Wild for Marcus Johansson

Brawndo

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Will this move get Skinner back to 30 goals? 

If you want Skinner to score more than 30 goals then put him on the Jack line. The Reinhart/Jack/Skinner line is one of the better first lines in the league. If the first line is going to get more minutes than the lower lines then put together a line that will produce the most. 

I like Krueger as a coach. I didn't like the way he handled Skinner last year. As a defensive player Skinner has a tendency to float. In utilizing Skinner he needs to accentuate his positive attributes as a sniper and not be so caught up with his defensive liabilities. When the calculation is made his assets trump his deficiencies. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you want Skinner to score more than 30 goals then put him on the Jack line. The Reinhart/Jack/Skinner line is one of the better first lines in the league. If the first line is going to get more minutes than the lower lines then put together a line that will produce the most. 

I like Krueger as a coach. I didn't like the way he handled Skinner last year. As a defensive player Skinner has a tendency to float. In utilizing Skinner he needs to accentuate his positive attributes as a sniper and not be so caught up with his defensive liabilities. When the calculation is made his assets trump his deficiencies. 

I think this post should be moved to the politics thread. Lol

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

Listening to it now. Staal does not sound happy to me.

I don't think he is happy about the trade. I think he was very comfortable where he was and intended to spend the rest of his life there.

I do think he has accepted it and intends to make the best of it.

At least that's the impression I got when I listened to him on the Instigators (haven't listened to the above yet). Laid-back public persona and a total pro.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

Listening to it now. Staal does not sound happy to me.

He was traded where he didn't want to go and it's far from home.....and it's the Sabres

45 minutes ago, Shootica said:

Oh he's probably pissed. He was settled down in Minnesota and very much poised to just coast into retirement.

But he's a pro.  I think he puts that aside and is a great player and mentor for us.

not every veteran player is a mentor. That term gets tossed around all the time. Has he mentored before?

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think he is happy about the trade. I think he was very comfortable where he was and intended to spend the rest of his life there.

I do think he has accepted it and intends to make the best of it.

At least that's the impression I got when I listened to him on the Instigators (haven't listened to the above yet). Laid-back public persona and a total pro.

Seems to be my impression as well. He wanted to stay in Minnesota where he has settled down and retire there. The trade was unexpected but I think he likes the idea of Buffalo because Eichel and his friend in GM. 

He sounds exactly like a laid back pro. Surprised to be traded but already excepted it and moved on. 

• Like (+1) 2

Pissed may not be the word I'd have chosen... he expected a possible trade at deadline... I think more disappointed it happened so early... though if hockey doesnt start till January... its going to be close to trade deadline anyway... Again he is a pro and appears to be keeping an open mind... If Sabres can get 2-3 years out of him that would be great...

I'd guess he's more hurt by how Minnesota unceremoniously dumped him more than disdain for coming to Buffalo. 

39 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I do believe that if any other Sabres GM besides Kevyn Adams makes this deal,  Staal decides to retire 

Very possible; the only other teams I could see him being willing to play for would be NYR and Carolina due to his brothers.  

12 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Pissed may not be the word I'd have chosen... he expected a possible trade at deadline... I think more disappointed it happened so early... though if hockey doesnt start till January... its going to be close to trade deadline anyway... Again he is a pro and appears to be keeping an open mind... If Sabres can get 2-3 years out of him that would be great...

I think they only get one season out of him... 

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Watch this video if you want to see the Sabres franchise in the eyes, face and voice of a player. "We'll see what happens." This is a guy who would rather retire but someone won't let him leave 3.25 on the table.

Serious question. Are you a Sabres fan? Just asking because you seem to really hate the organization. I'm not happy but if I had a total disdain for ownership and the organization I would not continue to follow them. I'm not a lover of the Pegulas but if I felt as you do about them and the organization I'd be out of here. Please don't take this personal.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/17/2020 at 8:48 AM, dudacek said:

I've come around to the 'why' on this one from the Wild's perspective.

It's a simple hockey trade. Bill Guerin wanted to get younger and faster and better in transition and Mojo does that.

Unlike most of the internet,  Guerin thinks Mojo is a better player than Staal, or at least a better fit with what they are trying to do.

Something to think about.

Or, following your own conclusion, he simply plans to resign Mojo and sees him as a better player next year and/or the year after etc. for another 5 or so years. Longer term thinking and planning. 

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Or, following your own conclusion, he simply plans to resign Mojo and sees him as a better player next year and/or the year after etc. for another 5 or so years. Longer term thinking and planning. 

I get that having a player on the team already can help when trying to resign him as a UFA, but Johansson is going to be a UFA.  Guerin probably would have a chance to sign him next offseason anyway.

If he does resign, it looks like a case of both teams getting what they needed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'm about there and my investment in watching them has gone down significantly. I come here to crack jokes and poop on their incompetence. That's about the only part of the Sabres experience that is fun any more.

It's certainly not fun watching the hockey.

Well if you don't watch the games then no one should care about your opinion, you just couldn't know enough.  At that point the jokes and poop are on you.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Watch this video if you want to see the Sabres franchise in the eyes, face and voice of a player. "We'll see what happens." This is a guy who would rather retire but someone won't let him leave 3.25 on the table.

Watch this video if you want to see Eric Staal seem generally positive & content with the move. Comes across as he's looking forward to the new opportunity to make an impact this season. Having to play vs our 2005-2006 team on the way to the Stanley Cup, he remembers how we had 1 of the best teams in the league at one point & im sure he remembers how excited our fan base was. I imagine a player of his skill & confidence feels he can be someone to turn this team around. I for one look forward to what he can do, in addition to whatever other moves we make

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'm about there and my investment in watching them has gone down significantly. I come here to crack jokes and poop on their incompetence. That's about the only part of the Sabres experience that is fun any more.

It's certainly not fun watching the hockey.

You only come here for that? Why a hockey forum?  Sorry but that sounds like a pretty pathetic reason for being here. And you think that's fun?

Edited by Radar

24 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

Watch this video if you want to see Eric Staal seem generally positive & content with the move. Comes across as he's looking forward to the new opportunity to make an impact this season. Having to play vs our 2005-2006 team on the way to the Stanley Cup, he remembers how we had 1 of the best teams in the league at one point & im sure he remembers how excited our fan base was. I imagine a player of his skill & confidence feels he can be someone to turn this team around. I for one look forward to what he can do, in addition to whatever other moves we make

You're not going to convince him. Nice try though. About to get my next slap by the mods here but they are here to crap on the team and it's owners. Not the trade or hockey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.