Sabres Acquire Center Eric Staal from Wild for Marcus Johansson

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He's likely to retire at the end of the contract. Guerin was committed to changing the dressing room of a stagnant team. Staal was said to be very comfortable and he certainly had a voice. And mayber they have a Dumba for a centre (Monahan?) deal pending.

Meanwhile, what's this chatter about maybe him retiring instead of reporting? Anything to it, or just typical "we can't have nice things" sabre doom and gloom?

I think it is doom and gloom. Adams already talked to him and they know eachother. 

59 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What 1 single move in a vacuum would make the Sabres a playoff team?

A goaltender. I don’t trust Carter Hutton’s eyes. 

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Two years ago, I would have traded 2 firsts for him after the 10 game winning streak.  Aside from the Skinner trade, which was a gift, Botterill didn't do half as well his entire tenure on the trade front.

Dare I say it: IMHO, this greatly improves the chances that Larry and Zemgus stay and we can play 3 lines at will.

Getting Joki was a good move

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

He has to sign a goalie that can play if Hutton can’t, period. Aside from that I don’t know what to do, spend a lot and have three goalies? That doesn’t sound good. Waive Hutton? 

Adams definitely has to address goaltending.  Just not sure I'd agree that move alone would put them in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Who knows Tage Thompson might be a beast, too. Lol 

Even if Thompson & Johnson BOTH reach their ceilings, the O'Reilly trade was a disaster.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Adams definitely has to address goaltending.  Just not sure I'd agree that move alone would put them in the playoffs.

Even if Thompson & Johnson BOTH reach their ceilings, the O'Reilly trade was a disaster.

Not sure if it would have in a full season, but no doubt, we would have been in this years playoffs if Carter Hutton’s eyes didn’t go to the bad. We lost a lot of points because of that. 

And yes, the ROR trade was still a disaster 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

Not sure if it would have in a full season, but no doubt, we would have been in this years playoffs if Carter Hutton’s eyes didn’t go to the bad. We lost a lot of points because of that. 

True, but was talking a real playoff qualifier, not this version that the Sabres very well could've qualified for if everything g shutdown 1 day later.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This move just continues to sit so well with me

We now have a viable short-term 2C option.

But we also have all of our "good" trade chips still available AND the flexibility of $35 million in cap space to make another significant move .

Yeah, only losing what was expected to be a throw in piece to address 2C is an underrated point.

• Like (+1) 1

This a friggin' awesome move.  A real no.2 C, a mentor for Jack, a Cup winner and still a legit player and we pick up cap room to boot.  He will also help develop Cozens and Mitts and even Lazar.  This move also buys time for Cozens and Mitts to develop more without the pressure of carrying a significant piece of the team.

I've been dumping on the Adams hiring, but this is truly a very smart value move. What a great first acquisition for our rookie GM.  This really gives me hope.  Wow.  I'm impressed.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Cheap and somehow his salary is less... this trade legit makes no sense.  I truly don't understand.

Well, Minny’s GM is the green Bill Guerin.  You know what they say about rookie GMs always getting raked over the coals by the leagues’ other GMs.  I guess it’s true.

VO - Eichel - Samson

Skinner  - Staal - 8OA holtz / cozens

Kahun - 8OA lundell/rossi / cozens- Tage

Casey   -   Asplund -  Okposo

Guess that could be our team as of now, would really like Larsson back as 4C but he'll get nice offers elsewhere I'm sure.  If he wanted to be back he would have signed already.

Maybe his next move is Ristolainen straight up for monahan 😄

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

VO - Eichel - Samson

Skinner  - Staal - 8OA holtz / cozens

Kahun - 8OA lundell/rossi / cozens- Tage

Casey   -   Asplund -  Okposo

Guess that could be our team as of now, would really like Larsson back as 4C but he'll get nice offers elsewhere I'm sure.  If he wanted to be back he would have signed already.

Maybe his next move is Ristolainen straight up for monahan 😄

I would think it looks more like this

Skinner Jack Samson

VO Staal Kahun

Mitts Cozens Tage

Asplund Lazar KO

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I would thing it looks more like this

Skinner Jack Samson

VO Staal Kahun

Mitts Cozens Tage

Asplund Lazar KO

This is an impressive first move.  I have a similar lineup: 

VO - Eichel - Samson

Skinner - Staal - TBD

Kahun - Cozens/Casey - Tage

Lazar - Larson/Girgs - Okposo

My guess is they are looking for a top 4 winger in free agency if they can't make another trade.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.