Sabres Acquire Center Eric Staal from Wild for Marcus Johansson

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He was their #1 center... why on earth did Minnesota trade him for peanuts? 

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

He's old and has one year left, is all I can think.

If they think they can re-sign Johansson, or if they expect 36 to be where the cliff shows up, the trade might make sense.  Also, we don't know what they expect to get back in the rumored Dumba trade.  They might expect their new 1C to be the return from that.

Paul Hamilton is great at coming up with a question we want answered but awful at asking the actual question. He asks 3 questions at once and then suggests an answer AND THEN asks a question based off his provided answer. Ask the freaking question and have the follow up ready.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Paul Hamilton is great at coming up with a question we want answered but awful at asking the actual question. He asks 3 questions at once and then suggests an answer AND THEN asks a question based off his provided answer. Ask the freaking question and have the follow up ready.

How does he enter into this?  I thought he was laid off or something.  And is there actually a press conference about this trade?

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm always less worried about players dropping off due to old age when they've already proven themselves to be very successful as older farts. 

He’s obviously looked after himself well to have played 18 years of professional hockey.

I like the move, he can be a great mentor for Cozens and provide Jack with some solid leadership tips.

I liked Mojo but he didn’t really improve the team.

I think Staal will have an impact. Heck, he may even like the team and sign on for a few more years to be a 3C.

1 minute ago, In The Buff said:

Btw was Staal the player that was subject in the rumor about a trade deal being worked out with a team currently still in the playoffs or was that someone else?

Wondering if anyone has any idea about that, or if that rumor still exists in any way

I've seen a rumor that he refused to waive his no trade clause prior to his last contract extension.

34 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He's old and has one year left, is all I can think.

He's likely to retire at the end of the contract. Guerin was committed to changing the dressing room of a stagnant team. Staal was said to be very comfortable and he certainly had a voice. And maybe they have a Dumba for a centre (Monahan?) deal pending.

Meanwhile, what's this chatter about maybe him retiring instead of reporting? Anything to it, or just typical "we can't have nice things" sabre doom and gloom?

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

He's likely to retire at the end of the contract. Guerin was committed to changing the dressing room of a stagnant team. Staal was said to be very comfortable and he certainly had a voice. And mayber they have a Dumba for a centre (Monahan?) deal pending.

Meanwhile, what's this chatter about maybe him retiring instead of reporting? Anything to it, or just typical "we can't have nice things" sabre doom and gloom?

I don't think he'd screw Kevyn Adams over like that.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

How does he enter into this?  I thought he was laid off or something.  And is there actually a press conference about this trade?

He got caught up in WGR's downsizing. Shortly thereafter he found a job with WGRZ as a hockey contributor. 

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/paul-hamilton-sabres-wgrz/71-5973aee8-218b-45d5-99c7-4df613a9267b

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.