Brawndo

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Eric Stall

• Cheaper
  • Bigger
  • Veteran
  • Former "C"
  • Stanley Cup Champion

Cozens is a young 6'3 center.  Staal is 6'4.  I could see similarities in their games and I bet it doesn't hurt to bring him in to help mentor the young kid.

I love this move.

I haven't watched Staal so I would be very curious to know if they play similar styles. 

Two years ago, I would have traded 2 firsts for him after the 10 game winning streak.  Aside from the Skinner trade, which was a gift, Botterill didn't do half as well his entire tenure on the trade front.

Dare I say it: IMHO, this greatly improves the chances that Larry and Zemgus stay and we can play 3 lines at will.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Connor McDavid. 

Consider you probably have to give up Jack Eichel, another roster player or high prospect, and a 1st or two to get him.. does that make the Sabres a playoff team?  I mean, adding McDavid for nothing?  sure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Haven't made the playoffs in a decade lol show me more. Good move, sure. It's not making us a playoff team though. 

Neither would Cirelli, Monahan, Danault or any other good 2C addition.  In the NHL, almost no single move is a game changer.

There needs to be more, but this is a good start.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Connor McDavid. 

And how exactly does Adams get him?  If this includes trading the rights to Larsson right after your Swedish supermodel wife finishes providing a backrub... 😉

(And actually agree w/ you on this.)

Edited by Taro T

Just now, LTS said:

Consider you probably have to give up Jack Eichel, another roster player or high prospect, and a 1st or two to get him.. does that make the Sabres a playoff team?  I mean, adding McDavid for nothing?  sure.

That's how I interpreted the question. 

Just now, Taro T said:

And how exactly does Adams get him?  If this includes trading the rights to Larsson right after your Swedish supermodel wife finishes providing a backup... 😉

(And actually agree w/ you on this.)

blackmail. 

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

What 1 single move in a vacuum would make the Sabres a playoff team?

A ton that have been discussed on here. Staal is freaking old, he can easily lose a step and not be nearly as productive. He's here for 1 year, so we're back to relying on Cozens to be ready in his sophomore year, something that is so far from a given. It's a stop-gate that is only getting worse, in a condensed season, and there's nothing after him, especially if Larsson is gone.

You think Marcus Johansson just buys legitimate 2Cs? Staal is a fine piece, relying on him to be an integral one with Kahun and Reinhart as his wingers is setting yourself up for failure

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Neither would Cirelli, Monahan, Danault or any other good 2C addition.  In the NHL, almost no single move is a game changer.

There needs to be more, but this is a good start.

Cirelli or Monahan would give you years of viable young talent and offensive production. That would be 80% to making us a playoff team, and with Staal we get what, 25%? Again, good move and all that, but this can't be it for the center position

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

A ton that have been discussed on here. Staal is freaking old, he can easily lose a step and not be nearly as productive. He's here for 1 year, so we're back to relying on Cozens to be ready in his sophomore year, something that is so far from a given. It's a stop-gate that is only getting worse, in a condensed season, and there's nothing after him, especially if Larsson is gone.

You think Marcus Johansson just buys legitimate 2Cs? Staal is a fine piece, relying on him to be an integral one with Kahun and Reinhart as his wingers is setting yourself up for failure

Care to be more specific?  Don't recall a sure fire single move (even multiplayer) that gets them there by itself.

And, apparently, 1 year of Marcus Johansson DOES buy 1 year of a legit 2C.  Who knew?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Cirelli or Monahan would give you years of viable young talent and offensive production. That would be 80% to making us a playoff team, and with Staal we get what, 25%? Again, good move and all that, but this can't be it for the center position

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Care to be more specific?  Don't recall a sure fire single move (even multiplayer) that gets them there by itself.

And, apparently, 1 year of Marcus Johansson DOES buy 1 year of a legit 2C.  Who knew?

Feels just like when we gave T.O. the keys to the city lol 

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

OK, totally get how 3 years of Botterill make it seem like this will be the only good move, but it is actually possible for Adams to make another move, possibly even for one of the guys you just mentioned.  And 80% + 25% gives you a smidge of room to spare. 😉

Just now, Taro T said:

OK, totally get how 3 years of Botterill make it seem like this will be the only good move, but it is actually possible for Adams to make another move, possibly even for one of the guys you just mentioned.  And 80% + 25% gives you a smidge of room to spare. 😉

he also cleared 1.25mil I believe in cap and salary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.