Sabres Acquire Center Eric Staal from Wild for Marcus Johansson

Brawndo

My lineup from what we have now:

Skinner-Eichel-Kahun?

oloffson-Stall-Reinhart

Ruostallainen?-Cozens-Thompson

xxx?-Lazar-Okposo

this team still has a lot left to do, adding a top 6 Rw would make a rather large difference though. Pushing Kahun down to line 3 would help significantly. I would like another solid 3rd liner and another solid 4th liner after that, but there’s only so much you can do in one offseason.

1 minute ago, sabresparaavida said:

Skinner-Eichel-Kahun?

oloffson-Stall-Reinhart

xxx?-Lazar-Okposo

this team still has a lot left to do, adding a top 6 Rw would make a rather large difference though. Pushing Kahun down to line 3 would help significantly. I would like another solid 3rd liner and another solid 4th liner after that, but there’s only so much you can do in one offseason.

Would still like to see a younger 2C brought in &/or a 2RW, but am perfectly fine w/ Kahun in the top 6 provided he earns it.

More talent is always a good thing.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I don't see how this changes anything honestly. If he's not a 3C we still suck

Not really.  This it makes it possible for Skinner to return to Eichel's wing, maybe.  Or at the very least, Skinner plays on Staal's wing, which is a giant improvement.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Listening to Schopp and the Bulldog. They are stunned.

The whole schtick is the Sabres "the Sabres are broken...but this seems to be a good deal...what are we missing?" 😄

There is the first proof that the Sabres might be an analytics team moving forward 

9F3BA141-9AE9-446A-95D7-1E25F8D6116F.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, WildCard said:

They definitely still in an ideal world need at least 1 more C (& possibly 2 if Larsson leaves).  But Staal IS a 2C and the Sabres now have 2 top 6 C's.  With the exception of Eichel's 1st 3 seasons (2 of which there was exactly 1 top 6 winger) they haven't had that since at least when Roy & Hodgson were here.  They now have wingers to support both C's.  This is new and different.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm not sure what you mean here, but Staal finished 37th in NHL scoring for centres. From a production standpoint, he's a good 2C.

Johansson had 30 points and isn't a centre. We also gained more than a million cap space. I'm not following at all.

• Like (+1) 3

Oh damn!  There is a legit 2C stop gap.  Looks like something that someone here might actually propose.

Awesome first move!  Adams coming out strong.

I don’t get why Minny did this one for one with no retained salary or picks involved.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

This also opens up an opportunity for Cozens to play minutes on a lower line.   Staal is old, and isn't the permanent solution at 2C, but this team is better than it was an hour ago.

Just now, Curt said:

There is a legit 2C stop gap.

I almost used the exact phrase in the above post.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I'm not sure what you mean here, but Staal finished 37th in NHL scoring for centres. From a production standpoint, he's a good 2C.

Johansson had 30 points and isn't a centre. We also gained more than a million cap space. I'm not following at all.

The cap space can't be overlooked.  They now, assuming they end up with a $75MM roster, effectively have what had been on pace to be a $76MM team.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Skinner-Eichel-Kahun?

oloffson-Stall-Reinhart

xxx?-Lazar-Okposo

Need to add someone to replace Larsson, or a top 6 wing. If we add a top 6 wing, I'd imagine our top 2 lines would be good enough to drastically alter how the lineup was being deployed. 

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

How does this change that? 

Perfect stop gap 2C. It's veteran leadership from a player who still commands respect with their play, at both ends of the ice. 

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Skinner-Eichel-Reino

VO-Staal-Cozens

XXX-Kahun-TT

Zemgus-Lazar-KO

I'd watch that team.

We are going to need to add a defensive C if this is the configuration. Lazar I don't think would be enough to replace Larsson, Kahun has little experience at C, and if Cozens is on line 2, that line probably won't get defensive matchups. 

Lots of possibilities now though because of the Staal addition. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.