Who are you betting on? Tage or Mitts?

LGR4GM

Which one of these players will:

1. Be better this season and why?
  2. Have a better career and why?
  3. Have the better work ethic?

As we get into 2020 it in noticeable that there is some buzz around Tage. He was very good for Rochester before being injured and all the reports say he has added muscle in his down time. He was roughly 6'5" 215 but now I am hearing around 225-230 and I bet that is a leaner more muscular version. Does it matter or is Casey Mittelstadt the more talented player and we should be patient? Answer away. 

Tage was trending up prior to his injury, is older, and by all accounts is much stronger. He looked ready to make the jump a year ago. I expect him to be on the roster whenever the next season starts and think he will probably contribute.

After a bad start in Rochester, Casey showed underrated improvement: good production (I believe it was 23 points in 27 games) and improved play, getting used in all situations. But while he was making more positive plays, he also continued to make too many negative plays. I think he still thinks the game in terms of being a dominant pond hockey player and needs to learn the pro game. We've had no indication whether or not he has spent his time off becoming a pro, or if he is maintaining his laissez-faire lifestyle with mom's cooking and dad's speedboat. I don't expect him to start the season in Buffalo.

Both players are physically talented enough to useful 2nd-line NHLers. Neither has shown the maturity to this point. Tage appears to working hard at correcting his flaws. We haven't seen that yet with Casey.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is it? I thought it was 2 points in his first 9 down there, and I did the math from that.

But it was from memory.

2 in his first 6, 23 in his next 30. He had 5 in the first 9 you mentioned. 

2 goals in his last 15 games, if people care specifically about goals. 

https://theahl.com/stats/player/7230

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

I think that's reasonable AHL production that pertains to a reasonable depth NHL winger position. Scoring 3rd line winger. I don't see him as balanced enough to be the type of top 6 player I'd want on my team, but he has value. 

He could be Sheary. Could be nothing - but could be Sheary. 

Edited by Thorny

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Tage appears to working hard at correcting his flaws. We haven't seen that yet with Casey.

This is the deciding factor for me. If casey comes back and is a step behind harder working peers then I think its game over for him and perhaps a move will give him the kick up the arse he needs.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Neither brings anything but offence. Sheary as a Sabre averaged 33 points over 82 games, Casey 28.

Better make it a shot of whiskey.

I can't in good conscience look at what Casey averaged, potentially, over 82 when he proved himself beyond a shadow of a doubt unfit to play 82 at the NHL level. 

Sheary proved himself capable of being a supporting piece on a cup roster, we aren't seriously thinking Casey is at that level, right? Sub Casey in for Sheary and that team misses zero beats? Highly questionable.

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I can't in good conscience look at what Casey averaged, potentially, over 82 when he proved himself beyond a shadow of a doubt unfit to play 82 at the NHL level. 

Sheary proved himself capable of being a supporting piece on a cup roster, we aren't seriously thinking Casey is at that level, right? Sub Casey in for Sheary and that team misses zero beats? Highly questionable.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sheary's advanced stuff blows Casey's out of the water, if anyone cares about that crap. 

With the exception of the final month before he was sent down, I think Casey marginally outplayed Conor Sheary during Sheary's tenure a Sabre. That's more of a reflection of how bad Sheary was to my mind than anything else.

Conor Sheary was my least favourite Sabre over the past two seasons. Which wasn't an easy achievement.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Neither brings anything but offence. Sheary as a Sabre averaged 33 points over 82 games, Casey 28.

Better make it a shot of whiskey.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Sheary's advanced stuff blows Casey's out of the water, if anyone cares about that crap. 

Over the past 2 seasons, ES scoring from Mitts and Sheary.

Mitts- 22 pts in 108 games, 17 per 82

Sheary- 44 pts in 133 games, 27 per 82

Mitrs was consistently bad and often awful.  Sheary was generally ok, sometimes bad and occasionally awful.

Mitts did not outplay Sheary for any significant period of time.  Mitts was not an NHL caliber player.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

My money is on Tage being the better player.  I'm not certain Tage will have much of an NHL career, but I am putting better odds on Tage than I am on Mitts.  Tage was physically outmatched at times, but looked like the kind of player that could make it happen.  Casey, to me, just looked overwhelmed most of the time.

Didn't Casey go through a huge stretch last season getting all secondary assists and no primaries?  Or was that Nylander the season before?

Edited by Weave

1. ST - Thompson - He was likely ready last season, so he gets the edge here.

2. LT - Mittelstadt - He dominated the WJC like Niedereiter & Couturier did.  Both took some time to get going, but both got there.  Not giving up on him yet.

3. Work ethic - ??? - Finding out Baby Giraffe is significantly more focused could very likely flip the 2nd answer.  Not expecting that.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Over the past 2 seasons, ES scoring from Mitts and Sheary.

Mitts- 22 pts in 108 games, 17 per 82

Sheary- 44 pts in 133 games, 27 per 82

Yeah, 2nd unit PP and shootouts were the only areas Casey made a marginal contribution.

Sheary couldn't even do that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.