Report Sabres Considering Internal Salary Cap

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't believe that the Sabres will spend to the cap. Paul Hamilton made the point that Terry Pegula stated that he has spent a lot of money without getting a commensurate return on the ice. The very unsubtle comment/s indicate that for the near term at least he will no longer be a profligate spender in his hockey business. That shouldn't be surprising as evident by the slimming down of the organization. 

With respect to your question about all the billionaires gaining money during the covid I would say no, especially someone like him who is in the energy, hotel, Nashville production and hospitality business. He's adjusting to the harsh economic reality like a lot of other businesses are. 

If I remember correctly, he IS worth more, but it is not liquid.  From what I heard, he should sit on that stuff while his other normal revenue streams (energy, entertainment, hospitality) take a bath for a year or two.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

If I remember correctly, he IS worth more, but it is not liquid.  From what I heard, he should sit on that stuff while his other normal revenue streams (energy, entertainment, hospitality) take a bath for a year or two.

He may be worth more but as you noted he is not liquid. With respect to his energy business he will be sitting on his resources until it will be worth drawing from. I have no complaint with how the Pegulas are adjusting to the financial environment in the hockey business. They simply are being prudent. 

• Like (+1) 2

Here's my roster with a cap set at 73 mil

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1911741

We are going to have to shift the way we play with the loss of Larsson going unaddressed (or rather, replacing him with Asplund). Pretty weak 4th line. Letting Montour's rights go for picks. But if we can make that one big deal that has alluded us, I wound't put playoffs beyond the realm of possibility for this team. If that 3rd pair on D can hold up somehow. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Figured I'd take a stab at it as well...

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/363470?post_id=1742545

I bit the bullet and went for a Reinhart - Danault trade.  Probably is an overpay on our end, but Danault is cheap this year and we'd have to cross our fingers and hope the team's financial outlook is better by the point when we'd be looking at re-signing him.  And the rest of the lineup relies heavily on the young guys.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I bit the bullet and went for a Reinhart - Danault trade.  Probably is an overpay on our end, but Danault is cheap this year and we'd have to cross our fingers and hope the team's financial outlook is better by the point when we'd be looking at re-signing him.  And the rest of the lineup relies heavily on the young guys.

You roster would be worse, but it's at least feasible - I forgot to account for at least 2 bench players haha. We couldn't afford my roster. 

We'd have to dump Johansson or something for futures. Use his 4.5 mil to bring in three 1.5 mil players or something. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You roster would be worse, but it's at least feasible - I forgot to account for at least 2 bench players haha. We couldn't afford my roster. 

Honestly, I would expect them to run with 20 on the active roster as long as we're home next year, and have 21 or maybe 22 on road trips.  Easy way to pinch pennies with Rochester an hour down the road.

I guess that depends on what the AHL does about their season though.  To my knowledge, no plans have been released there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shootica said:

Honestly, I would expect them to run with 20 on the active roster as long as we're home next year, and have 21 or maybe 22 on road trips.  Easy way to pinch pennies with Rochester an hour down the road.

I guess that depends on what the AHL does about their season though.  To my knowledge, no plans have been released there.

That would help. Liquifying Mojo into three 1.5 mil players would be feasible I suppose (getting my 20 to 22). 21 even more so, Mojo into two 2.25 mil guys gets us to 21. 

23 minutes ago, Shootica said:

Not a wise trade as it not only makes our opponent stronger and us weaker even if I like Danault. If you trade Reinhart you need to send him out west and then use other asset types to acquire Danault from Montreal. Not to mention Danault has only one year on his deal and we cant afford to trade Reinhart for him and then lose him due to ridiculous cap stuff.

10 minutes ago, #freejame said:

***** Terry Pegula. 

I wish someone would have the stones to walk up to Terry and tell him "Do you realize that if you were to tragically pass away and they did a moment of silence for you before the next home game it would get the Old Man Wirtz treatment?" Maybe that would end up being a moment of clarity and cause him to pull his head straight out of his ass and start behaving like a serious and credible owner

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Here's my roster with a cap set at 73 mil

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1911741

We are going to have to shift the way we play with the loss of Larsson going unaddressed (or rather, replacing him with Asplund). Pretty weak 4th line. Letting Montour's rights go for picks. But if we can make that one big deal that has alluded us, I wound't put playoffs beyond the realm of possibility for this team. If that 3rd pair on D can hold up somehow. 

Excellent work. I looked at your proposal and the other proposals made by the members. What's apparent is that there are a lot of pieces to the roster puzzle. Adams has a lot of considerations/judgments involving players and contracts. With some creativity and boldness this roster can be reshaped and made into a competitive team. The linchpin is coming away with a genuine 2C. And if that is accomplished then some of the other pieces will fall into place. 

Edited by JohnC

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I wish someone would have the stones to walk up to Terry and tell him "Do you realize that if you were to tragically pass away and they did a moment of silence for you before the next home game it would get the Old Man Wirtz treatment?" Maybe that would end up being a moment of clarity and cause him to pull his head straight out of his ass and start behaving like a serious and credible owner

You are being unfairly harsh. The judicious fiscal approach that the Pegulas will be taking will be the same approach that a lot of owners will be taking. The stress that this organization is subjected to is the same stress that other organizations are subjected to. Few organizations will be untouched by the Covid era. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are being unfairly harsh. The judicious fiscal approach that the Pegulas will be taking will be the same approach that a lot of owners will be taking. The stress that this organization is subjected to is the same stress that other organizations are subjected to. Few organizations will be untouched by the Covid era. 

Unless you are just waking up from a coma you have been in since 2011 you are probably aware of the fact they are just about the least successful NHL owners of the modern era and that this is just the latest strike against them.

"Nine Years, ***** All!!!"

#PegulasOut

Edited by sabremike

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Imagine a flat cap and then taking another $100-200 million out of the pot.

• If several teams (a majority?) are looking to go this route, who will be taking the cap dumps from those teams who need to make them?
  • How will there be any money to pay free agents anywhere near what they would have been worth pre-COVID?
  • And no wonder there is such fear of arbitration.

Going to be a strange off-season.

First, all teams should have some form of self-imposed cap of about 2-3M in spare below the limit for in-season flexibility. Factor in loss of gate revenues league-wide and it's good business to save some bucks here and there.

These are the right questions to ask!

But yes! The Fear of Arbitration. What a season to be a RFA! Those AAVs being tossed about by models for Reino to get 8x8 are simply out of the picture for this season. He can go to arbitration all he wants but no team should make that deal if we're looking at a three-year period of flat cap/ threatened lost gate revenue. This is the offseason for players to choose Colorado on the cheap, or glom onto some other contender on a prove-it deal. And to make a bid on an RFA --- TBL can't sign a player to even a modest $5M deal because they self-impose a cap. Nab him! Will draft picks even have great value in the next few years if WHL, NCAA, and European leagues all also have consistent and prolonged stoppages?

12 hours ago, Weave said:

OSP strikes again.

In a way, we should be so lucky.

I am legitimately numb to this sort of news. Professional spectator sports are going through some major changes -- they always are, I guess. Like, when I was a kid, freakin' prize fighting (boxing), horse racing, and even tennis were frickin' kings of the industry.

Anyhoo. I'll just be taking stuff as it comes.

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

Unless you are just waking up from a coma you have been in since 2011 you are probably aware of the fact they are just about the least successful NHL owners of the modern era and that this is just the latest strike against them.

"Nine Years, ***** All!!!"

#PegulasOut

You are not very educated and obviously don’t understand the financial ramifications the NHL teams face without fan attendance. The Pegulas made a huge mistake hiring Botteril but we are fortunate to have them as our owners. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.