GM Kevyn Adams - More Moves Coming Soon?

GASabresIUFAN

This thread is eerily similar to the "JBot, do something!" thread of last rotation.

I will say that although I find the lack of moves disturbing, I don't expect anything to happen until the Cup is claimed and we're closing in on the (10/6 ?) draft or even on draft day for the theatrics of watching a televised Zoom call get broken up by Bettman saying "Buffalo trades pick #8...."

46 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Oh the drama ...

200.gif

We are creating some because we envy those who have had news because of the extended playoff.  My friends in Detroit, New Jersey, and San Jose are griping the same way we are.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

This thread is eerily similar to the "JBot, do something!" thread of last rotation.

I will say that although I find the lack of moves disturbing, I don't expect anything to happen until the Cup is claimed and we're closing in on the (10/6 ?) draft or even on draft day for the theatrics of watching a televised Zoom call get broken up by Bettman saying "Buffalo trades pick #8...."

I think the concern is from the fact JBot usually only made one 'big' move and hoped that it would fix the issue. We need several decent ones to make waves next season.

Also the fact is has been over 6 months of nothingness. We're all desperate fro Sabres related material!!

• Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

I think the concern is from the fact JBot usually only made one 'big' move and hoped that it would fix the issue. We need several decent ones to make waves next season.

Also the fact is has been over 6 months of nothingness. We're all desperate fro Sabres related material!!

It's possible the Sabres are only several decent moves away from contending (making waves=contending?). But that would actually be an endorsement of the work of the previous two GMs, and that's heresy around here — that the team is pretty close.

The angst some feel comes from the deep-down realization that the team is fundamentally flawed and needs to be turned over 50% and then 50% again, but this time doing it right, not what Botterill did in consecutive seasons. So to see no progress so far on what looks like a huge project is unnerving to some.

Edited by PASabreFan

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

It's possible the Sabres are only several decent moves away from contending (making waves=contending?). But that would actually be an endorsement of the work of the previous two GMs, and that's heresy around here — that the team is pretty close.

The angst some feel comes from the deep-down realization that the team is fundamentally flawed and needs to be turned over 50% and then 50% again, but this time doing it right, not what Botterill did in consecutive seasons. So to see no progress so far on what looks like a huge project is unnerving to some.

Not the way I see it. 

Botterill made a ton of bad moves, but the most piercing frustration I had with the man is that I do believe that, in spite of everything, a big reason being because we have Jack Eichel, that we were only one big move (2C - the second most important position in a forward roster) away from doing something, and he showed complete ineptitude and seemingly desire in addressing the issue. 

I was more frustrated with him precisely because I DON'T think the task was impossible. 

The team can be relatively "close" to being a playoff contender and Botterill and co. still have done a bad job. It's all relative. Building a team around JE shouldn't be this difficult. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

JBott made tons of little moves. Sadly, they all amounted to "sign 3/4th liner or AHL-tweener" and hope that he'll achieve some previously untapped potential and become one with the Moulson. But from Antipin to Vesey to Lazar to Ruotsalainen, none of them have done that, (yet, because Arttu is still pending).

We really need a combination of 1 big move (the 2C) and probably 3 savvy minor moves that solidify the roster. GM Sheevyn can do all those things in one offseason, but it's a very tall order given that we also need to build around the top youth we have because we're not stocked with other desirable assets.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Not the way I see it. 

Botterill made a ton of bad moves, but the most piercing frustration I had with the man is that I do believe that, in spite of everything, a big reason being because we have Jack Eichel, that we were only one big move (2C - the second most important position in a forward roster) away from doing something, and he showed complete ineptitude and seemingly desire in addressing the issue. 

I was more frustrated with him precisely because I DON'T think the task was impossible. 

The team can be relatively "close" to being a playoff contender and Botterill and co. still have done a bad job. It's all relative. Building a team around JE shouldn't be this difficult. 

Precisely. We've had back-to-back hot-start seasons where .500 hockey the rest of the way would've resulted in playoffs. The glaring need each time was a two-way 2C to lighten the burden on the top line and push the right players to their appropriate spots in the lineup. (And also, last year we had a goalie with an eye condition.) But the 2C was always necessary. And JBot did nothing, waiting it out on the youth movement of puck-moving RHD to carry the team. (And I like the idea of stockpiling D prospects when your cupboard is barren because they take time to develop... but of 18 picks made by JBot, 8 of them were defensemen (and 6 of his final 12 picks). Granted, you always take Dahlin. But still, it went from prudent to overkill when you also factor in Antipin, Pilut, Beaulieu, Fedun, Redmond, Hunwick, Montour, Miller, Joker, Dougherty...  I mean, where were they all going to play, JBot?

• Thanks (+1) 1

The thought that we have good prospects in our organization and have not traded, or just given them away, makes me angry. We can get rid our young talent if we try. It will takes years for many of them to play in NHL. Who wants to wait? Trade or just release them! Anything! 

We could get bags of pucks back. Right? Look at all those players out there that played in the playoffs this year. Good thing we threw those players away, like Braydon McNabb, so happy he is gone. 

36 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The thought that we have good prospects in our organization and have not traded, or just given them away, makes me angry. We can get rid our young talent if we try. It will takes years for many of them to play in NHL. Who wants to wait? Trade or just release them! Anything! 

We could get bags of pucks back. Right? Look at all those players out there that played in the playoffs this year. Good thing we threw those players away, like Braydon McNabb, so happy he is gone. 

Crap, now you got me wanting the Isles to win it all.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:11 AM, freester said:

My point is if we don't address goaltending whereby we acquire a legitimate #1 goalie and Ullmark is the backup, than we are sure to be back in the lottery again.  Hutton does not belong in the NHL.

This reminds me of a segment Botterill did with Schopp and Bulldog in the latter part of our season, back in maybe January or February perhaps.  I don't really remember when it was.  

He was asked what bright, up and coming young players we have in the works, or something like that, and he answered:  UPL and SAM REINHART.

LMFAO.  

UPL is still a way's away.  I do agree Hutton looks like an American League guy these days.

If this were a different season, we'd currently be between the NHL Trade Deadline and the end of the playoffs, when trade are historically very, very rare, as no team in the playoffs can ice a player acquired after the deadline.

The draft is October 6/7 and free agency opens on October 9.  Trades historically happen leading into the draft and not before the end of playoffs.

Read between the lines.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.