Jake Allen (G) traded to Montreal

LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, jsb said:

My guess is MC is about to trade a G & C together

Now who might need both of those??

Price and Domi to the Sabres for #8 and Risto and Casey and that other guy and probably someone else.

E5

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
my typing is never ever goodly enough ...
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I would hate that deal. Mainly because I’m extremely allergic to paying goaltenders a stupid level amount of money. And Price is for sure at a stupid level… For years.

What if we unload Okposo or Skinner's contract?  

27 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

How long have I known you Inky?  10 years, or so, and I still don't know if you are meaning this in a good way, or not.

We I don't want a big log in my pants...make that another one. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, inkman said:

What if we unload Okposo or Skinner's contract?  

We I don't want a big log in my pants...make that another one. 

Still no thanks. I just don’t like huge bloated contracts for goalies. Just my preference. 
?‍♂️

if Montreal was going to retain 25%-35% at least… Then I would consider it. For a while. A long while.

Edited by Zamboni

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Good thinking. I would have hoped we were interested in Allen, maybe we'll snag him and a C from Montreal now. 

That would seem more plausible than trading for Price. 

Since it doesn't make sense for Moe-ray-all to have $14MM tied up between the pipes figure 1 of the 2 will be shipped out.  Since the trade was made while the playoffs are ongoing, figure they have to already have a trade partner lined up and that it's one of the 23 that weren't playing this round.

Why not have it be the Sabres?

13 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Price and Domi to the Sabres for #8 and Risto and Casey and that other guy and probably someone else.

E5

LMFAO, oh ya Price is going to waive his no trade to come to this great contender. 

Lots of goalies in play this off season. Impossible to speculate on an actual landing spot if in fact Price is moved. If Colorado doesn't keep going wouldn't surprise me if history repeated. 

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said he was willing to spend to get a backup goaltender, one of the top priorities on his off-season to-do list.

Turns out, it didn’t cost much to acquire Jake Allen, who can capably spell Carey Price to ensure Montreal’s $10 million man gets the proper res. Just a third-round pick – the one acquired from Washington for Ilya Kovalchuk, essentially found money anyway with his January signing – and some of the Canadiens’ ample cap space.

It was a win-win-win for Bergevin. Allen may just be the best backup in the NHL next season, in what figures to be an uncertain year with a condensed schedule chock full of back-to-back grinds and more slates of three games across four nights. He finished fourth in the league in save percentage this season among netminders with a minimum of 20 appearances.

Yes, the Habs might be spending $4 million more on goaltending than any other team next season, but Allen’s expensive deal has just one year on it and expires before Montreal runs into any sort of cap crunch.

Plus, the Blues moving Allen and his $4.35 million salary cap hit just happened to increase the cap space and chances St. Louis could afford to re-sign captain Alex Pietrangelo, which lessens the chance a Canadiens’ division rival like Toronto might be able to take a run at him in free agency.

“We’d love to get Alex signed,” Blues GM Doug Armstrong said Wednesday. “At the end of the day, it’s a math equation.”

So too is the NHL’s annual game of goaltending musical chairs. Allen became the first goalie domino to fall in an off-season unlike any other for the position. It’s going to be a wild ride.

“I understand the business side of it very well and I knew coming into this off-season after being eliminated that there was a chance I was going to be traded,” Allen said. “I didn’t really have an idea where or when, that kind of came out of the blue for me. I definitely knew that I was potentially going to be dealt.”

The Canadiens and Blues are a rarity in NHL circles. With Price and Allen in Montreal, and Jordan Binnington and Ville Husso in St. Louis, they are two teams who have now firmed up their tandem.

https://www.tsn.ca/jake-allen-trade-hits-play-on-nhl-s-goalie-musical-chairs-1.1518384

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.