Reports: Max Domi wants out of Montreal

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

... You are talking about Samson Reinhart correct? He's defensively sound from what I know. 

He's definitely improved, but I still think he's soft on the wall and it's definitely the weaker side of his game.  Skinner, and Olofsson are definitely less inclined for sure.  This is all opinion based.  I'm not a fan of Domi, I have never been. 

On 9/1/2020 at 11:02 AM, LGR4GM said:

Max Domi reportedly wants out of Montreal

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-on-sports-max-domis-days-with-canadiens-appear-to-be-over

SO the question is should the Sabres pursue a Max Domi trade?

Yes! But like eleven said it depends on the price. Montour, risto, and any pick besides 8 would be fine to go the other way.

He can stay with rob ray while he finds a house

On 9/1/2020 at 11:35 AM, Eleven said:

That's a little too much for me, and I'm still patient with Montour for whatever reason.  Mittlestadt and a third or fourth probably gets it done IMO.

That would be amazing 

Edited by Kr632

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's 4 of 6 top 6 players as left handed shots. I think if you want Hall you gotta move Skinner for contract reasons and position reason. 

Also Domi with Olofsson is just a defensive ***** show. 

Eh...I'm a handedness guy too, but not on this. I'd ideally like 2 right shots in the top 6, but you wouldn't NEED more. Even if you have everyone playing on the proper hand, if both your Cs are left shots, you have 4 left shots in the top 6 and 2 right. I'm not mandating a C of each hand in the top 6, for instance. 

As long as each line has at least one shot of each hand, I'm good. I don't really like the L - L - L or R - R - R set ups.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Eh...I'm a handedness guy too, but not on this. I'd ideally like 2 right shots in the top 6, but you wouldn't NEED more. Even if you have everyone playing on the proper hand, if both your Cs are left shots, you have 4 left shots in the top 6 and 2 right. I'm not mandating a C of each hand in the top 6, for instance. 

As long as each line has at least one shot of each hand, I'm good. I don't really like the L - L - L or R - R - R set ups.

You'd have jack and Sam as your only righties. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Ya, like assuming they are healthy, 2 right shots in the top 6 is good by me. It's not going to stop me from acquiring Hall. Do we need better left/right shot F depth balance? Yes. Especially cause injuries do happen.

Edited by Thorny

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

How big a deal is handedness? Is it a bigger deal than faceoffs, for example?

I ask from the bias of playing most of my hockey as a left-shot who was most comfortable on right wing.

It definitely matters more for defensive players. I do left W as a right shot whenever but it's much easier breaking out when playing defense being on the proper hand. 

My deal with handedness isn't so much that I need a left shot lw, and a right shot rw, more so that I don't like all the hands on one line to be the same side. I would guess having both would make things a little easier offensively, and both d-men, regardless of handedness, will have "open" blades on the breakout. 

I don't care if it's Right Shot - Right Shot - Left Shot, just like there being both hands on each line. 

I feel like our second line has been all left shots for 3 years. 

Edited by Thorny

10 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I would love a player like Domi on this team...

If I'm Adams, I'm on the phone now offering Montour, Hutton and 2021 2nd rd pick for Domi and Allen.

Seeing as they gave up a 3rd for Allen you're essentially offering up Montour Hutton and a 2nd for Domi and a 3rd. Ya, I'm sure they'll get right on that. 

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Right, left whatever, just bring in talent if you can and sort it out later. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seeing as they gave up a 3rd for Allen you're essentially offering up Montour Hutton and a 2nd for Domi and a 3rd. Ya, I'm sure they'll get right on that. 

Seriously. Does handedness even matter in the nhl anymore? Is LW, C ,RW evEn relevant anymore? I thought most teams used F1, F2, F3 now in terms of designing schemes.

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Seriously. Does handedness even matter in the nhl anymore? Is LW, C ,RW evEn relevant anymore? I thought most teams used F1, F2, F3 now in terms of designing schemes.

In the offensive zone, yes it is F1, F2, & F3 due to the way teams forecheck & cycle.

In the defensive zone, players still have their territory to cover & C, LW, & RW are relevant terms.  (Though defending a rush, the 1st F back initially assumes C duty until they have an opportunity to adjust back. )

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

In the offensive zone, yes it is F1, F2, & F3 due to the way teams forecheck & cycle.

In the defensive zone, players still have their territory to cover & C, LW, & RW are relevant terms.  (Though defending a rush, the 1st F back initially assumes C duty until they have an opportunity to adjust back. )

Exactly, and as long as they know where to go positionally, handedness really doesn’t matter all that much in the defensive zone for a forward. It probably matters maybe a little for defensemen (but only on the offensive zone as a positive if off hand).

I really believe that “handedness” is irrelevant. Just be good.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Exactly, and as long as they know where to go positionally, handedness really doesn’t matter all that much in the defensive zone for a forward. It probably matters maybe a little for defensemen (but only on the offensive zone as a positive if off hand).

I think there's definitely some truth to this. The system the team runs and how the players interact together is what really matters, not how they hold their stick. If you have a decent coach/system it is pretty easy to make good adjustments to fit the players you have. What we really need is players that fit together and complement each other to make each of them better, not just one type or one idea. 

In that way, Jack clearly made Skinner better but not the reverse. I'm not a believer that Sam makes Jack better. Without Jack he's very very ordinary and I think most GMs will feel that way if we do try to trade him. Honestly I'm not sure ANYBODY on our roster is particularly good without Jack. 

We need talent, plain and simple. 

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

And why would Montreal give up a goaltender they just traded for? They want a capable (good) backup that can allow Price more time off during the season. Not a 30+ year old with one good season in his career. Thats the type of goalie they have gone with the last few years and hasn't worked out for them.......

If Domi came here, does he have to fight Rays kid (Does he have one?)

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

And why would Montreal give up a goaltender they just traded for? They want a capable (good) backup that can allow Price more time off during the season. Not a 30+ year old with one good season in his career. Thats the type of goalie they have gone with the last few years and hasn't worked out for them.......

If Domi came here, does he have to fight Rays kid (Does he have one?)

Son and a daughter.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, SwampD said:

It definitely matters in the defensive zone and especially for d-men. 

It's much easier to play defence, in the defensive zone, on your proper hand. It's why nearly all NHL teams do prioritize handedness in the D-setups. Except on the lower pairs, it's not very common at all to see a left D shot on the right side and vice versa. Even on lower pairs it's not very common. Mostly just because there are more left shots, you get left hand D playing the right side on a lower pair occasionally, for example (except in Buffalo where we have the opposite issue).

Forward handedness is definitely all over the place. But the league, at least, prescribes pretty ardently to handedness being important on D. 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

It definitely matters in the defensive zone and especially for d-men. 

It's much easier to play defence, in the defensive zone, on your proper hand. It's why nearly all NHL teams do prioritize handedness in the D-setups. Except on the lower pairs, it's not very common at all to see a left D shot on the right side and vice versa. Even on lower pairs it's not very common. Mostly just because there are more left shots, you get left hand D playing the right side on a lower pair occasionally, for example (except in Buffalo where we have the opposite issue).

Forward handedness is definitely all over the place. But the league, at least, prescribes pretty ardently to handedness being important on D. 

I know that they prioritize it on D. And they most likely do from the time they are kids playing D. Just because they have practiced it for years doesn’t mean it is the reason they are better on their “proper” hand.

I still think it doesn’t matter and I bet there is a study or two that proves it.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I know that they prioritize it on D. And they most likely do from the time they are kids playing D. Just because they have practiced it for years doesn’t mean it is the reason they are better on their “proper” hand.

I still think it doesn’t matter and I bet there is a study or two that proves it.

Sweet, let me know if you come across one

😉

Thinking of it practically on D, if you are a right shot playing the left, a turnover off your stick finds the puck mid-ice, prime opposition scoring opportunity, and on the proper hand, it's closer to the boards. Being the proper hand on D helps me keep the puck away from the danger areas moreso, I have found over the years. It's also much easier getting the puck out along the boards, and the breakout pass is easier.

Being on the off-hand on D makes skating back into my zone to play it easier, though, the old "make 'em turn!" Danny Bylsma thing, but more often in the D zone I find I'm facing forwards than skating back in. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Thinking of it practically on D, if you are a right shot playing the left, a turnover off your stick finds the puck mid-ice, prime opposition scoring opportunity, and on the proper hand, it's along closer to the boards. Being the proper hand on D helps me keep the puck away from the danger areas moreso, I have found over the years. 

And yet how many times have you protected the puck from the forward along the half boards and had to center the puck for the breakout on your backhand?

I think the are pros and cons to both, and correlation is not causation. Just because kids have learned to play that way since they were ten doesn’t mean that their handedness is the reason they are better at It.

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Thinking of it practically on D, if you are a right shot playing the left, a turnover off your stick finds the puck mid-ice, prime opposition scoring opportunity, and on the proper hand, it's along closer to the boards. Being the proper hand on D helps me keep the puck away from the danger areas moreso, I have found over the years. 

For sure. Playing the proper side allows you to protect the puck better when you are on the wing too.

But the flip side is also true, playing on your off wing gives you more options and better angles when shooting and making plays. One way favours offence the other defence.

Adherence to handedness is simply a coach wanting to lean to the conservative side.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

For sure. Playing the proper side allows you to protect the puck better when you are on the wing too.

But the flip side is also true, playing on your off wing gives you more options and better angles when shooting and making plays. One way favours offence the other defence.

Adherence to handedness is simply a coach wanting to lean to the conservative side.

So, in general, with D prioritizing D over O, I see why proper handedness for D would be preferred. The first thing a capable coach will do with players who play defense is maximize their ability to play proper defense, as a unit. 

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

And yet how many times have you protected the puck from the forward along the half boards and had to center the puck for the breakout on your backhand?

I think the are pros and cons to both, and correlation is not causation. Just because kids have learned to play that way since they were ten doesn’t mean that their handedness is the reason they are better at It.

To me it comes down to whether or not I'm most often facing forward or backwards in the D zone, and it's forward.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.