Reports: Max Domi wants out of Montreal

LGR4GM

Max Domi reportedly wants out of Montreal

Fires agent Pat Brisson, who is a longtime close friend of Habs GM Marc Bergevin, shortly before becoming a restricted free agent.

The relationship between Domi and Claude Julien hasn’t been great and it certainly didn’t improve after the Canadiens head coach put Domi on the fourth line during the postseason. Domi, who is a Type 1 diabetic, missed the first week of the Return to Play training camp to evaluate his health concerns during the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-on-sports-max-domis-days-with-canadiens-appear-to-be-over

SO the question is should the Sabres pursue a Max Domi trade?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I would give the Habs Montour or Mittlestadt (and probably both of them) for Domi in a heartbeat.

That's a little too much for me, and I'm still patient with Montour for whatever reason.  Mittlestadt and a third or fourth probably gets it done IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

Like a lot of potential trade acquisitions, Domi has his warts.

His game lacks discipline, in that he likes to freelance, his attention to detail without the puck is lacking, and he will take stupid penalties. He also strikes me as entitled: his being available is due to him wanting to play a top 6 centre role and he wants a big contract. Montreal's coach preferred to use two 20-year-olds who have 80 career points combined ahead of him.

With the caveats out of the way, he's easily a top six forward on the Sabres, is a legitimate centre despite playing most of his career at wing, can drive offence on his own, has a mean streak and had great chemistry with Reinhart at the WJC.

So hell yeah, if the price is right on both acquisition and contract.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Like a lot of potential trade acquisitions, Domi has his warts.

His game lacks discipline, in that he likes to freelance, his attention to detail without the puck is lacking, and he will take stupid penalties. He also strikes me as entitled: his being available is due to him wanting to play a top 6 centre role and he wants a big contract. Montreal's coach preferred to use two 20-year-olds who have 80 career points combined ahead of him.

With the caveats out of the way, he's easily a top six forward on the Sabres, is a legitimate centre despite playing most of his career at wing, can drive offence on his own, has a mean streak and had great chemistry with Reinhart at the WJC.

So hell yeah, if the price is right on both acquisition and contract.

If you had a choice between trading for Danault or Domi which player would you deal for?  Factoring in the selection would be the cost for the deal and the contracts carried now and in the future for each player. My sense is that Krueger does not like players who freelance compared to responsible two way players. Skinner seems to be a less favored Krueger player because he is more inclined to float.. Maybe Danault would be a more favored target by the Sabre braintrust? 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you had a choice between trading for Danault or Domi which player would you deal for?  Factoring in the selection would be the cost for the deal and the contracts carried now and in the future for each player. My sense is that Krueger does not like players who freelance compared to responsible two way players. Skinner seems to be a less favored Krueger player because he is more inclined to float.. Maybe Danault would be a more favored target by the Sabre braintrust? 

Domi also brings physical play too.  Something this team sorely lacks.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That's a little too much for me, and I'm still patient with Montour for whatever reason.  Mittlestadt and a third or fourth probably gets it done IMO.

I too like Montour and am in no rush to give up on him.  I just think there will be sufficient interest in Domi that it will require at least an asset at Montour's level to get him.

I'm also in no rush to unload Mittlestadt for that matter -- he's young, cost-controlled and has upside -- but if another team wants him in a package for a #2C, I'm fine with including him.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, IvanPutski said:

Domi also brings physical play too.  Something this team sorely lacks.

The future contract issue is something that I am concerned with. I'm open to trading for any player/s that improves the roster. There is no debating that the second line and especially the 2C position needs to be addressed. 

I'm excited about what the transactions will be this offseason to upgrade and rework the roster. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Danault easily. More rounded and reliable and probably cheaper contract. Danault is a rental, however.

Danault would be a great centre for Skinner in Ralph's system, IMO. Has all the supposed defensive pluses of Sobotka without being a black hole for offence. Add a RW with a prime Wayne Simmonds skillset and that would be a perfect complement to Jack Sam and Victor.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Meh, offense only, no defensive zone presence.  He took a step down after a career year.  Undersized left wing.  Pass!  I do want to upgrade this roster, but with players that actually improve faults.  Overpay for Cirelli over trading for Montreal scrubs. 

1 minute ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Taylor ***** Hall.

Suddenly a top-five 1st line and a top-ten top six forward group.

That's 4 of 6 top 6 players as left handed shots. I think if you want Hall you gotta move Skinner for contract reasons and position reason. 

Also Domi with Olofsson is just a defensive ***** show. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LGR4GM said:

That's 4 of 6 top 6 players as left handed shots. I think if you want Hall you gotta move Skinner for contract reasons and position reason. 

Also Domi with Olofsson is just a defensive ***** show. 

Exactly, not to mention you add in that Sam Reinhart, and Skinner are not defensive end forwards either.  The fundamental problem is, that our team defense is ATROCIOUS.  

7 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Exactly, not to mention you add in that Sam Reinhart, and Skinner are not defensive end forwards either.  The fundamental problem is, that our team defense is ATROCIOUS.  

... You are talking about Samson Reinhart correct? He's defensively sound from what I know. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Just now, LGR4GM said:

... You are talking about Samson Reinhart correct? He's defensively sound from what I know. 

Yeah, there's data and analysis available that concludes that the top line has a better GA/60 with Reinhart on it, suggesting he's defensively useful.

https://www.expectedbuffalo.com/buffalo-sabres-myth-busting-sam-reinhart-cant-produce-without-jack-eichel/

One reason that would make sense for the Sabres to insist on playing Reinhart with Eichel is to help improve the defensive side of the game for that top line and still maintain a high level of offensive output. Over the last three years, Eichel has had better defensive numbers when he’s played with Reinhart. His 5 on 5 shot quality against (xGA/60) improves from 2.42 to 2.28. Actual goals-against improve from 3.31 to 2.57, according to Natural Stat Trick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.