2020 United States Presidential Election

LTS

It doesn't really matter how we define generations. The issue is that McConnell and Pelosi and ppl completely out of touch with how the world is now, keep making decisions. They don't understand the struggles of young people today, that's obvious in their policy choices. 

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It doesn't really matter how we define generations. The issue is that McConnell and Pelosi and ppl completely out of touch with how the world is now, keep making decisions. They don't understand the struggles of young people today, that's obvious in their policy choices. 

Young people should vote them out, then. Isn't that how it works?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Kamala Harris is GEN X or at least right on the edge of that generation divide. 1964 would be the edge of the baby boomers. 

You are correct.  I will revise:  I'd bet money that we never see a Gen X president of the United States who attains that office via election.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

On the contrary, I think McConnell is very in touch with the world.  Dude is a strategic genius, love him or hate him.

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You are correct.  I will revise:  I'd bet money that we never see a Gen X president of the United States who attains that office via election.

64 is still Boomer.  46-64.  I used to tease my mom about being a Boomer, since she was born Dec '64.

4 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

On the contrary, I think McConnell is very in touch with the world.  Dude is a strategic genius, love him or hate him.

64 is still Boomer.  46-64.  I used to tease my mom about being a Boomer, since she was born Dec '64.

I agree with you, but I want to cover my rear.

Also, Pelosi (yesterday I think) has asked her colleagues to vote for her as Speaker again.  Do they not realize that now is the time to replace her?

Edited by Eleven

56 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Young people should vote them out, then. Isn't that how it works?

Boomers are still the most populous generation and still have the ability to control elections just by their sheer numbers. 

It's frustrating because the only real option is to wait them out.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Boomers are still the most populous generation and still have the ability to control elections just by their sheer numbers. 

It's frustrating because the only real option is to wait them out.

Biden isn't even a boomer.  He's a member of the so-called "Silent Generation."  And yet we get him and a guy who is at the very oldest end of the boomers as our choices.

Edited by Eleven

Not able to turn on tv today but the internet says Biden wins 290 to 214 as of right now. Definitely not the guy I wanted but here’s to hoping the country goes in the right direction. If when it’s all figured out he truly becomes POTUS then he’s my Commander-in-Chief.

I figure that’s a more appropriate response to not getting ones way than what we saw in the streets after Trump won.

As long as the Republicans hold the Senate I’ll be fine losing Trump.

I wasn’t happy to vote for him either time, he’s a real ####### but he helped bring us a more conservative court, made us more energy independent  and at very least stood up to China. I think he did fine from an economic POV, where he failed was his demeanor was unbecoming of a president and he only seemed to get worse as time went on. (Granted the whole Russian collusion thing was a complete farce and he had a right to be angry.... but there are ways to express anger without tweeting like a teenager.)

Biden, I pray that you stay moderate and help bring our country back together. I fear for our nation’s future if he starts adopting far left ideas the the Green New Deal or trying to pack the court. All that will happen is a reverse of the last four years of angry yelling.

A more conservative court is a good thing because rarely due to conservative judges toe the party line. Hell the Chief Justice was put in by Bush and he sides with the more liberal judges quite often. The Supreme Court should always be there to keep the other branches from doing wild sweeping changes.

I do worry about Facebook and Twitter’s power over information however going forward. They both blatantly lean left and will leave leftist lies up while chasing down even accurate conservative counterpoints. Not to mention if a famous person in sports or what not says anything even construed as conservative they are lambasted whereas leftist ideals being espoused are met with wondrous applause. 

I would like to know however why people have been so bloody emotional about Trump winning in 2016 through to now? The vitriol they had before he even made an act as president was ridiculous. I wasn’t fond of him as a person and that didn’t improve as I got to watch his behavior but the over the top theatrics were unneeded. 

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

As long as the Republicans hold the Senate I’ll be fine losing Trump.

I wasn’t happy to vote for him either time, he’s a real ####### but he helped bring us a more conservative court, made us more energy independent  and at very least stood up to China. I think he did fine from an economic POV, where he failed was his demeanor was unbecoming of a president and he only seemed to get worse as time went on. (Granted the whole Russian collusion thing was a complete farce and he had a right to be angry.... but there are ways to express anger without tweeting like a teenager.)

Biden, I pray that you stay moderate and help bring our country back together. I fear for our nation’s future if he starts adopting far left ideas the the Green New Deal or trying to pack the court. All that will happen is a reverse of the last four years of angry yelling.

A more conservative court is a good thing because rarely due to conservative judges toe the party line. Hell the Chief Justice was put in by Bush and he sides with the more liberal judges quite often. The Supreme Court should always be there to keep the other branches from doing wild sweeping changes.

I do worry about Facebook and Twitter’s power over information however going forward. They both blatantly lean left and will leave leftist lies up while chasing down even accurate conservative counterpoints. Not to mention if a famous person in sports or what not says anything even construed as conservative they are lambasted whereas leftist ideals being espoused are met with wondrous applause. 

I would like to know however why people have been so bloody emotional about Trump winning in 2016 through to now? The vitriol they had before he even made an act as president was ridiculous. I wasn’t fond of him as a person and that didn’t improve as I got to watch his behavior but the over the top theatrics were unneeded. 

I love how it’s always up to the democrat coming in afterward to “stay moderate” and “bring the country back together?” Trump didn’t give a flying ***** about bringing the country together, but, that’s okay.

Boy, lots of force fed talking points in your post. Think I’ll just leave them alone.

3 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Not able to turn on tv today but the internet says Biden wins 290 to 214 as of right now. Definitely not the guy I wanted but here’s to hoping the country goes in the right direction. If when it’s all figured out he truly becomes POTUS then he’s my Commander-in-Chief.

I figure that’s a more appropriate response to not getting ones way than what we saw in the streets after Trump won.

Unfortunately, I think we will be seeing a lot of inappropriate responses to not getting ones way playing out in the streets this time too, in addition to and encouraged by the inappropriate responses from the White House itself.

I wonder if  Nancy Pelosi would be to offered Harris’s Senate Seat, so she would a graceful exit from the Speaker Position 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I love how it’s always up to the democrat coming in afterward to “stay moderate” and “bring the country back together?” Trump didn’t give a flying ***** about bringing the country together, but, that’s okay.

This a 1000% 

35 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder if  Nancy Pelosi would be to offered Harris’s Senate Seat, so she would a graceful exit from the Speaker Position 

As much as I think this is, like you say, a graceful solution, and as much as I want her out of any sort of powerful position, I just don't think she'd accept.  She is as power-hungry as Trump.  Maybe not motivated by the same set of insecurities, but she is one power-hungry woman.  Witness what she did in 2018 to get her chair back.

It is a brilliant freaking idea, though.  I love it.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Never said he shouldn't have. We need to stop the wild pendulum of political leanings. I like my presidents moderate, their job is supposed to be one of compromise and leadership to the entire nation. Also, I do wish Trump would of brought the country together but obviously many left-leaning people weren't going to unless he stepped down from day 1. When you throw temper tantrums in the streets over the other side's president winning ........  That being said I really hope that the conservatives don't start their own civil unrest over losing; can we act like adults and not like Vancouver after Cup losses?

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

Wookie, how was what happened over the last 4 years not packing the court?

They nominated and placed judges within the given judicial numbers. Obama put a couple judges I don't agree with in when he had the opportunity. There's a big difference between filling the court upon opportunity and creating new spots in order to force a certain stance. As I said before; the judicial branch should be more on the conservative side as it is meant to keep the country from merely following every popular idea that strikes a president's fancy. 

I fear for this country's future; my age group (18-35) seems to have no inkling to how absolutely terrible communism was for those who actually lived through it. They want to globalize our country out of existence in the name of "social justice." I want immigrants to melt into our melting pot; not continue to merely be Mexican or Middle Eastern while located here. I don't want what is happening in Europe to happen here; I don't want American culture to be destroyed by mass immigration overwhelming the melting pot and spilling it over. Is that wrong? I don't want to live in a world where being a white man is somehow deemed oppressive by mere existence and needs to be put in their place. I don't want a world where merely disagreeing with someone makes you racist, sexist or homophobic.

When I voted for Trump I had truly hoped he would crush the SJW stuff; instead both sides have merely become whiny children wanting to yell at the clouds.

21 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Never said he shouldn't have. We need to stop the wild pendulum of political leanings. I like my presidents moderate, their job is supposed to be one of compromise and leadership to the entire nation. Also, I do wish Trump would of brought the country together but obviously many left-leaning people weren't going to unless he stepped down from day 1. When you throw temper tantrums in the streets over the other side's president winning ........  That being said I really hope that the conservatives don't start their own civil unrest over losing; can we act like adults and not like Vancouver after Cup losses?

They nominated and placed judges within the given judicial numbers. Obama put a couple judges I don't agree with in when he had the opportunity. There's a big difference between filling the court upon opportunity and creating new spots in order to force a certain stance. As I said before; the judicial branch should be more on the conservative side as it is meant to keep the country from merely following every popular idea that strikes a president's fancy. 

I fear for this country's future; my age group (18-35) seems to have no inkling to how absolutely terrible communism was for those who actually lived through it. They want to globalize our country out of existence in the name of "social justice." I want immigrants to melt into our melting pot; not continue to merely be Mexican or Middle Eastern while located here. I don't want what is happening in Europe to happen here; I don't want American culture to be destroyed by mass immigration overwhelming the melting pot and spilling it over. Is that wrong? I don't want to live in a world where being a white man is somehow deemed oppressive by mere existence and needs to be put in their place. I don't want a world where merely disagreeing with someone makes you racist, sexist or homophobic.

When I voted for Trump I had truly hoped he would crush the SJW stuff; instead both sides have merely become whiny children wanting to yell at the clouds.

Trump had no intention of bringing the country together. He said as much when he was running. You voted for him anyway.

"Drain the swamp." Give me a ***** break! That guy is the swamp.

And it pisses me off,… CUZ I AM THE SWAMP!!!!!

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Weave said:

Wookie, how was what happened over the last 4 years not packing the court?

I'm not Wookie, obviously, but "court packing" refers to expanding the Supreme Court to more than 9 members in order to get a majority of one's political party in.

The president who is most famous for trying to do it was FDR.  It failed.

I'm against court packing.  

I'm also against the BS that McConnell pulled with Garland in 2016.

16 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

You have misread the last eight years.  He started with hatred in 2012 and he continues hatred now.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I don’t believe that Trump ever showed any inclination to try to bring the country together, he consistently tried to do the opposite.  That’s precisely one of the reasons for the “temper tantrums”.  To try to pin the responsibility for Trump failing to bring the country together on the nations democrats would be laughable.

Who is proposing communism???!!!

I can understand a desire to limit immigration, but do you think that immigration of yesteryear had little impact on American culture?  They tipped over the melting pot big time.  Isn’t Italian/Irish/Polish/etc cultures still alive and active in America?

I can certainly sympathize with you to an extent though.  I do often feel like the world is changing faster than people know how to handle and it can be a bit destabilizing.

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd buy your outrage over court packing if you showed any outrage over what was done with Garland in 2016, followed by the the 180 turn this September with Barrett.  That's court packing too, regardless of the total number of judges.  The intent was 100% the same.  You don't get to do it and then claim the other side cannot.

If you think what the Democrats stand for now is communism, or even socialism then you don't know what it is and how absolutely terrible it was either.  Hint, noone is proposing state ownership of the means of production.

And as already touched upon above, none of the previous immigration groups abandoned their cultures when they came here, why should the non-Europeans have to do it?  Or is that the real issue, you don't want just the brown skinned cultures to grow here?

9 hours ago, Weave said:

I'd buy your outrage over court packing if you showed any outrage over what was done with Garland in 2016, followed by the the 180 turn this September with Barrett.  That's court packing too, regardless of the total number of judges.  The intent was 100% the same.  You don't get to do it and then claim the other side cannot.

If you think what the Democrats stand for now is communism, or even socialism then you don't know what it is and how absolutely terrible it was either.  Hint, noone is proposing state ownership of the means of production.

And as already touched upon above, none of the previous immigration groups abandoned their cultures when they came here, why should the non-Europeans have to do it?  Or is that the real issue, you don't want just the brown skinned cultures to grow here?

To be honest I honestly didn't expect them to cram Barrett in there. Technically they had control of the senate both times but I do understand the sentiment. I'm not a fan of shifty political posturing domestically.

I'm not saying the Democratic party stands for communism or socialism but there seems to be quite the ambivalence amongst the younger generation based on Sanders' success with his Democratic Socialism and the fact plenty of the younger generation felt he wasn't going far enough. All this "Eat the Rich" BS and the like. When people are claiming governments like Venezuela's model is ideal, with the caveat of "we'd do a better job," there is a major disconnect between wishful thinking and reality.

I am not trying to say that I want them to abandon their culture; I want them to adopt our cultural influences if they are here. Pride in one's heritage is no problem to me. I have a problem when illegal immigrants put up Mexican flags on USPS offices or proclaim they are retaking over the South Western states. Same goes with completely incompatible cultural differences such as very strict Islamic practitioners that don't believe in women's rights whatsoever. They need to either leave or conform to the law of the land. 

I will admit however that I am concerned by those who come to American with the intention of fundamentally changing our country. Just look at Europe for examples of how mass immigration from the Middle East has effected European culture. The European armies of old didn't fight back the Turks outside Vienna for them to waltz over the border 600+ years later unopposed. (I know most immigrants are truly good people looking for a fresh start but there are some who look to force us to change to their beliefs; they do exist and need to be accounted for.)

At the end of the day if you immigrate to America, you either need to adapt to or tolerate American society; you have no right to come here and then start imposing your ideas on us.

You must really have an issue with elements of the south that to this day refuse to accept, adapt or tolerate the USA that they rose against.  I mean, at least the immigrants coming in want to be a part of this nation and not impose their ideas on it.....

Edited by Weave
  • Haha (+1) 1

Trump wasn't interested in being President, he was interested in being Dictator. Remember that next time you defend him. The man didn't care about you or the country. He only cares about himself and his ego. He's a narcissist. While you wax poetic about socialism you ignore the totalitarianism literally attempting to destroy our country. 

F#ck Trump, that pile of hate did nothing but hurt this country for 4 years. Good riddance. 

Edited by LGR4GM

On 11/7/2020 at 9:52 PM, thewookie1 said:

Perhaps you shouldn't be looking to Trump or Biden?  Thinking that Trump was interested in pulling the country together is definitely an interesting belief you had. The guy has always existed for himself.  The fact that Republicans then caved to him said all I ever needed to know about their entire party.  I can't find a defense of voting for Trump. Willingly doing so was saying "I support hatred, bigotry, and racism." over anyone else and what they might bring to the table.  The country did not fall apart the 8 years Obama was in office, despite what people want others to believe.  It did not fall apart when Bush or Clinton or Reagan were in office. 

For what it's worth, if you don't want to live in a world where being a white man is deemed oppressive, then perhaps you should not vote for white men who represent and spout those oppressive ideals every chance they get.

20 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

To be honest I honestly didn't expect them to cram Barrett in there. Technically they had control of the senate both times but I do understand the sentiment. I'm not a fan of shifty political posturing domestically.

I'm not saying the Democratic party stands for communism or socialism but there seems to be quite the ambivalence amongst the younger generation based on Sanders' success with his Democratic Socialism and the fact plenty of the younger generation felt he wasn't going far enough. All this "Eat the Rich" BS and the like. When people are claiming governments like Venezuela's model is ideal, with the caveat of "we'd do a better job," there is a major disconnect between wishful thinking and reality.

I am not trying to say that I want them to abandon their culture; I want them to adopt our cultural influences if they are here. Pride in one's heritage is no problem to me. I have a problem when illegal immigrants put up Mexican flags on USPS offices or proclaim they are retaking over the South Western states. Same goes with completely incompatible cultural differences such as very strict Islamic practitioners that don't believe in women's rights whatsoever. They need to either leave or conform to the law of the land. 

I will admit however that I am concerned by those who come to American with the intention of fundamentally changing our country. Just look at Europe for examples of how mass immigration from the Middle East has effected European culture. The European armies of old didn't fight back the Turks outside Vienna for them to waltz over the border 600+ years later unopposed. (I know most immigrants are truly good people looking for a fresh start but there are some who look to force us to change to their beliefs; they do exist and need to be accounted for.)

At the end of the day if you immigrate to America, you either need to adapt to or tolerate American society; you have no right to come here and then start imposing your ideas on us.

Your view points here really are in line with the old, white dude mentality.  You don't want to accept change. You want everyone to stay where they are and deal with things.

The Eat the Rich BS happened before...  it's kind of what led to this country. The whole taxation without representation, royal families owning the land and forcing peasants to work for them and not make their own way.

You do want people to abandon their culture. You want immigrants to come here and be American.  imagine if the Irish had done, or the Italians, or the British, or the French, or really any of the other immigrant families that originally came here.  I bet the Native Americans would have really loved it if those cultures had not just shown up and taken over. Mexicans should be proud of their heritage.  It's their right to take over the South Western states, if they choose to live there and have entered the country legally. The law of the land once said black people were property and women had no rights.  Imagine if everyone had continued to conform to those laws of the land? 

People come to America, not to fundamentally change America, but to have a chance they did not have elsewhere.  You are free to leave this country to find your way elsewhere as well. Do you think the people in the Middle East loved when the US showed up and interfered in their politics?  When our country caused wars to happen to further business interests there?  Do you think the Japanese loved the infiltration of Western culture?  The Chinese?

I mean, the things I am referencing happened much more recently than the 600+ year ago battles between Ottomans, Goths, Turks, etc.

What is an American belief anyway?  Honestly, how could you define it without reaching back into history into one of the many different cultures that have settled here over time? You can't.  Immigrants have every right to come here and impose their ideas because welcome them into the country, as we always have, with the expectation that here, in the United States, we can blend all cultures together to create a better place.

Everything you have said above is against that concept. 

• Like (+1) 2