2020 United States Presidential Election

LTS

23 hours ago, Weave said:

I’m hoping that means crowds will be light on election day.  I won’t get home until after 6 and I sure won’t want another 30-40-90 minutes in line after that.

You might have a 90 minutes wait. Voter turnout to this point is historic. Vote like your country depends on it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not to start another fight...the election results are unsettling so far, but at least I can say that I'm not feeling quite so alone this morning seeing that only one county in WNY voted for Biden(Monroe). Even Erie county seems to have voted for Trump.  So this BB doesn't seem representative of WNY.    Islander's country seems to be split (Nassau and Suffolk voting for Trump).  Rangers country, well, there's no saving NYC; enough already, make them their own state.  Just saying. 🤫

1 hour ago, etiennep99 said:

Not to start another fight...the election results are unsettling so far, but at least I can say that I'm not feeling quite so alone this morning seeing that only one county in WNY voted for Biden(Monroe). Even Erie county seems to have voted for Trump.  So this BB doesn't seem representative of WNY.    Islander's country seems to be split (Nassau and Suffolk voting for Trump).  Rangers country, well, there's no saving NYC; enough already, make them their own state.  Just saying. 🤫

Premature. 

Also outside of Buffalo which is leaning Trump currently, every other major metro area in the state went for Biden. Land doesn't vote, ppl do. 

1 hour ago, etiennep99 said:

This is a particularly narrow take.  You are associating the majority vote getter with the county being 100% for that candidate.  50.1-49.9 accomplishes a majority without there being a clear split.  In the case of Erie County it appears to be ~204k to ~174k... a whopping 30k votes of separation. 

7 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Hate to admit it but I think Biden wins in the end. Whenever that is.

Nevada and recounts seem to be all that is remaining.  Man is this close.

I have to say, the only way I could stomach another 4 yrs of Trump is with a D majority in the Senate.  With an R majority Senate likely, Biden has to come out on top or the next 4 yrs will be even more insufferable than the first.

I'm really disappointed that the Senate didn't change hands.  I really wanted to see the GOP punished for falling in line behind Trump.  I needed that party get a message sent to them so they never make the mistake again.  That clearly didn't happen here.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I think it’s the same really.  Has it actually gotten more extreme?

Does the same divide exist in Canada?

The same divide exists everywhere and has for about forever.  It's less than 100 years since Europe had serfs.  (Source:  https://www.amazon.com/Russia-1000-Year-Chronicle-Wild-East/dp/1468305018 ; see also Bertolt Brecht's Caucasian Chalk Circle).  Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if some nations that consider themselves to be European still have them.

Whether rural people vote in their own best interests, or in the best interests of their descendants, is another question.  They purposely are left uneducated and in fear that their meager economy will disappear if the group that actually wants to help them wins.

This is not new, nor is it particularly American (the sources I posted above are Eurasian).

Collin Peterson (D-MN) was defeated last night.  Now, I am not sorry to see a Boomer who spent WAY TOO LONG (30 years) in Congress go, but the fact is, he was the chair of the Congressional Ag Committee for a long time.  Goodbye to that voice; he's been replaced by another career politician, who may as well be a Boomer (1965) and who has no command whatsoever of the international issues that matter to her district and who won't chair anything.  She'll screw up the farmers, all right.  Peterson wasn't even a true Dem; he was DFL (Democrat-Farm-Labor), which is a Minnesota-only thing as far as I know. 

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

1965 is most definitely not a boomer.

Boomer hate,… that's cute.

Hate the idea, not who it comes from.

The idea comes from an outdated world view 

On 11/4/2020 at 10:04 AM, etiennep99 said:

Buffalo has flipped to be Biden after the left numbers I saw. 

On 11/4/2020 at 7:02 PM, Curt said:

I think it’s the same really.  Has it actually gotten more extreme?

Does the same divide exist in Canada?

Its definitely similar in Canada. We have some regional differences and at times northern rural areas have been (and some still are) quite progressive but overall there is a city mouse country mouse difference. We also have a bible belt believe it or not. Huge geographies like both countries have give you that.  Is it more extreme? It seems so to me, and both Georgia and Pennsylvania strongly argue for that, but I could be wrong. 

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

1965 is most definitely not a boomer.

Boomer hate,… that's cute.

Hate the idea, not who it comes from.

I don’t hate them.  I just want to see them step aside and let the next generation do their thing.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I don’t hate them.  I just want to see them step aside and let the next generation do their thing.

They are welcome to do that now. They’d rather complain about boomers.

Pretty sure that once they do start doing their thing, they’ll be the age the boomers are now,... and there’ll be the next generation complaining about them.

Edited by SwampD

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Pretty sure that once they do start doing their thing, they’ll be the age the boomers are now,... and there’ll be the next generation complaining about them.

I'd bet money that we never see a Gen X president of the United States.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Well, that’s part of the problem.  Unlike previous generations, This generation has refused to let the next generation lead.  By the time age has taken its course gen X will be at a point where they need to step aside as well.

I think a key difference is gen X is willing to see what the next generation  can do and won’t box them out.  And unlike  the boomers we probably don’t have the numbers to do it if we wanted to.

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'd bet money that we never see a Gen X president of the United States.

And there is this as well.

One more point to make my point.   How many consecutive elections have we heard some variation of “if elected President he’d be the oldest president ever to start a term”?  

Their moment had passed.  Its time to let the next group have its moment.

• Like (+1) 1