Can we add to the mod team?

Eleven

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure, other than the 2 that actually are moderators here, nobody that has posted in this thread.

You hit it on the mark. It is a thankless responsibility that less than a few people are willing to do. Regardless who is monitoring the room there will be some dissatisfaction on how it is run. I'm not denigrating anyone who has a complaint about how the job is being done. There is validity to some of the criticisms. But as someone else noted unless the monitoring is grossly erratic and unfair (and that is not the case here) the most reasonable remedy would be to adjust to the umpire. 

To those who step up and volunteer to be monitors I say thank you. 

13 hours ago, shrader said:

So spamming when they’re told to stop. So you mean topics just like this thread or everything you’re ranting about now? Seriously folk, it a hockey message board. Let’s continue to whine like it’s North Korea. Bitch bitch bitch. This place is so much better when we get over ourselves. With each passing day I keep expecting the plug to be pulled   Fortunately others can handle a lot more whining than I can.  

keep looking for that works without bias. It exists in the same place as that world without a sun. 

I texted the dear leader to see if he was interested in serving as a monitor. He quickly said yes. He also stated that he has no qualms with dissenters because he has a disposable and vanishing way of handling the dissenters. ☠️

https://www.bing.com/search?q=picture+of+north+korea+leader&cvid=f72cc3078fdb42eb830b6616cc8d7591&pglt=43&FORM=ANSPA1&PC=HCTS

As one who received a slap on the wrist (warning) once for a post I see no serious problems. Moving the posts to another forum is not muting a post, if that's what this is about. Would I have deemed it po!itical? No but could see it heading that way. Maybe hasty but not completely unreasonable.

29 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh I'd gladly volunteer but I do not think I've earned it or have the internet capabilities/expertise to carry it off. I suspect there are a number of people that feel the same way as that. 

Let's get back to talking hockey. It's more enjoyable than talking about the imperfect process of a forum. 

Moderators should enforce the rules. We have no rules. I've always felt that was a problem.

Also, is there a moderating philosophy and do the two moderators share it? Is it the board owner's philosophy?

What would this board look like without moderators?

What do the moderators do on a daily basis?

Just food for thought.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t notice the moderators doing anything biased or wrong.  No one is perfect or needs to be.   Then again I do not put much emphasis on internet sports forums and how they operate.  

This place provides lots of hockey information and that’s what I like about it.  

Agreed. That's why I come here. The amount of knowledge here far exceeds mine. I even enjoy the guys that throw out the fancy stats and multicolor charts that are way above my ability to comprehend. 

I just deleted an additional 150 words that none of you wanted to read. 

It's a game. We are fans. Keep it in perspective. 

Edited by irregularly irregular
Forgot to say "Thank you to SDS, 'chz and freeman for what they do to keep this site up and running as well as it does.
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Moderators should enforce the rules. We have no rules. I've always felt that was a problem.

Also, is there a moderating philosophy and do the two moderators share it? Is it the board owner's philosophy?

Just food for thought.

Are you available? The reason I ask is that I'm not. I wouldn't want to do it. So I'm hesitant to critique someone who has volunteered to do it. Frankly I'm not all that unhappy the way the site is run. Unfortunately we all are effected by issues affecting every area of our lives. It's just a difficult time to keep a balance on things.

• Like (+1) 4

14 hours ago, Radar said:

Are you available? The reason I ask is that I'm not. I wouldn't want to do it. So I'm hesitant to critique someone who has volunteered to do it. Frankly I'm not all that unhappy the way the site is run. Unfortunately we all are effected by issues affecting every area of our lives. It's just a difficult time to keep a balance on things.

I wasn't offering a critique. But if we're going to have a debate about moderators, it would be useful to know more about it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Just food for thought.

You might be careful in what you ask for. I feel that there is one rule and that's to allow as much freedom as possible and step in when things heat up.

There might be some bias toward people or groups that are more often obnoxious than others but, in general I think they are pretty fair about things. There have been times where they easily could've stepped in sooner (but they probably have their life to live too).

I just try to appreciate that we have this board. It can be fun and a learning experience as well as a battleground. I've seen other boards disappear or push people away when things get going in the wrong direction.

I know I could have been better at times and decided to be stubborn instead and push the limits. If I didn't I likely would have left a long time ago. Sometimes you have to realize how good we have it.

Thank you to the mods/ owner for doing what you do in this thankless hobby.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/29/2020 at 2:30 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

I'm not sure what to think about this.  Mods with biases are not good, but the place seems to work pretty well.

I like @MattPie a lot, but if one of your reasons for adding 2 mods is that one is very busy, then Matt may not be a good choice for that reason alone.  He is good, but I don't think he is active here that much these days.

Aww, shucks.

But yes, as much as I'm flattered I don't feel like I'm on here enough to mod. If you need a moderator in absentia I'm your guy.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Aww, shucks.

But yes, as much as I'm flattered I don't feel like I'm on here enough to mod. If you need a moderator in absentia I'm your guy.

Sorry to LOL at this, but the in absentia made me laugh.  It's kind of like that now and it's working out well, IMO.  So, your hired!!  But not in the hired for pay sense ...

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
*you're ... my typing is not very goodly, my English is not very goodly either ...
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

You might be careful in what you ask for. I feel that there is one rule and that's to allow as much freedom as possible and step in when things heat up.

There might be some bias toward people or groups that are more often obnoxious than others but, in general I think they are pretty fair about things. There have been times where they easily could've stepped in sooner (but they probably have their life to live too).

I just try to appreciate that we have this board. It can be fun and a learning experience as well as a battleground. I've seen other boards disappear or push people away when things get going in the wrong direction.

I know I could have been better at times and decided to be stubborn instead and push the limits. If I didn't I likely would have left a long time ago. Sometimes you have to realize how good we have it.

Thank you to the mods/ owner for doing what you do in this thankless hobby.

This.  As Rouseau once wrote, and I paraphrase, one has to give up some natural born rights in order to participate in a society.  And a society that contains extensive rules and laws is a society in which the individual person maintains few, if any, natural rights.  

I don't know if I've seen any instances of this forum preventing one from expressing their thoughts or opinions.  And in general, overbearing bias is an indication that someone is attempting to control a narrative due ones inability to articulate their point of view to another, or to accumulate and/or maintain power.  I don't think the later is the case here (at least from what I've seen), which is why I'm not overly concerned about having additional mods. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.