OT: sports and politics - more nuance than we think

bob_sauve28

33 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Looks like hockey is the only sport being played now 

I'm surprised that it took this long for the Bucks and Brewers to step up.  (Actually, maybe they didn't have games the last couple of days, although that would be weird for a baseball team.)

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm surprised that it took this long for the Bucks and Brewers to step up.  (Actually, maybe they didn't have games the last couple of days, although that would be weird for a baseball team.)

Several baseball games cancelled tonight.    Players are paid to play, not make social statements. I am losing interest in all sports.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Several baseball games cancelled tonight.    Players are paid to play, not make social statements. I am losing interest in all sports.  ?

You should see what's happening in Belarus.

General strikes are effective.

If all you want is for the black man to perform for you, well, I don't know what to say.  It doesn't seem consistent with what I think your ethos is, though.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You should see what's happening in Belarus.

General strikes are effective.

If all you want is for the black man to perform for you, well, I don't know what to say.  It doesn't seem consistent with what I think your ethos is, though.

What?  Black man perform?  That’s BS and not what I said.   The color of the athlete doesn’t matter.  They are paid to play, not anything else. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

What?  Black man perform?  That’s BS and not what I said.   The color of the athlete doesn’t matter.  They are paid to play, not anything else. 

That's why I said it seems inconsistent with your ethos.  But "stick to sports" is BS whether it's Chris Paul or Rex Ryan.  They have a platform and should use it, just like John Carlos and Tommy Smith did.  Do you complain when NHL coaches wear poppies every November?  No.

Problem is, when players raise a fist, people complain.  When players kneel, people complain.  When players have slogans on their jerseys, people complain.  So now they're taking it up a notch.  The power structure that controls how we police is made up of millionaires and billionaires.  So the players are hitting them where it hurts, finally.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Eleven said:

That's why I said it seems inconsistent with your ethos.  But "stick to sports" is BS whether it's Chris Paul or Rex Ryan.  They have a platform and should use it, just like John Carlos and Tommy Smith did.

Problem is, when players raise a fist, people complain.  When players kneel, people complain.  When players have slogans on their jerseys, people complain.  So now they're taking it up a notch.  The power structure that controls how we police is made up of millionaires and billionaires.  So the players are hitting them where it hurts, finally.

Whatever.  I’m out of here.  ?

I really only see this causing more strife as truly racist people will gain fuel to their fires. What happened was wrong but rioting only opens up the doors for opportunists and further hatred to form. 

Racism is a horrible thing but it stems from a combination of fear, ignorance, and some genuine reasons. You can’t end it via fighting because it will only further entrench the motivations of both sides. 

Cops are placed in a serious predicament every time they are sent on a call; they have to make split second decisions that could mean life or death for themselves or others. Even the most non-racist person would have to admit that being in an inner-city region isn’t  exactly a safe place to go as a cop or anyone for that matter. African Americans are more likely to be in gangs thus cops are going to unconsciously be more wary of unusual or seemingly threatening behaviors. That all being said shooting a man in the back 7 times at point blank range is absurd. Shoot his leg or something non lethal then pull him out of the vehicle. 

The saddest part is I have no clue how to solve racism. It’s a vicious cycle with no straight forward solution. For instance, if African Americans stopped joining gangs and selling drugs and focused on schooling they would be far better off. Problem is that to some degree, gang activity stems from poverty and many city schools are inferior all around. To fix that we would need money to improve everything however we cannot exactly force them to use their money in a way more beneficial to them in the long term. Not to mention general corruption and legitimately racist people involved in government. Which leads to further dangerous conditions, dropping home values and continued crime escalation thus bringing in more cops in an effort to keep people safe. Which then leads to new problems which eventually leads us back to them joining gangs for a familial entity and protection. 

Edited by thewookie1

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I really only see this causing more strife as truly racist people will gain fuel to their fires. What happened was wrong but rioting only opens up the doors for opportunists and further hatred to form. 

Well, yeah, we saw that last night.  Which may have been the catalyst for what happened today.

11 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

What about humans? Are they allowed to make social statements or are they just whatever their job is and nothing more?

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

They might not get paid for the games they don’t play.

They can make a stand whenever they want, like any US citizen can.

25 minutes ago, shrader said:

Meanwhile, around the NHL...

I was thinking about this last night.  Are there many black American players in the NHL?  Also there's no team in Wisconsin.

EDIT:  Looks like Seth Jones and Okposo might be it.  And neither is in the playoffs right now.  Etem is out of the league right now, as is Bailey.

Edited by Eleven

36 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I was thinking about this last night.  Are there many black American players in the NHL?  Also there's no team in Wisconsin.

EDIT:  Looks like Seth Jones and Okposo might be it.  And neither is in the playoffs right now.  Etem is out of the league right now, as is Bailey.

There's another black player on our own team...

14 hours ago, Eleven said:

There have been 113 homicides in Milwaukee in 2020. 74% of them have been black. Why haven’t they “stepped up” to this?

https://projects.jsonline.com/apps/Milwaukee-Homicide-Database/

35 minutes ago, kas23 said:

There have been 113 homicides in Milwaukee in 2020. 74% of them have been black. Why haven’t they “stepped up” to this?

https://projects.jsonline.com/apps/Milwaukee-Homicide-Database/

Surely you can acknowledge that government sanctioned killings are quite a different issue than civilian killings, and government may actually listen when there is protests.  How does one reach individual citizens with this sort of protest?

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Surely you can acknowledge that government sanctioned killings are quite a different issue than civilian killings, and government may actually listen when there is protests.  How does one reach individual citizens with this sort of protest?

This is a heated topic and statements can be taken out of context.  Would you please expand why you use the term "government sanctioned"?  In my eyes that equates to the government telling police officers (all of them) that they should be killing. 

12 minutes ago, LTS said:

This is a heated topic and statements can be taken out of context.  Would you please expand why you use the term "government sanctioned"?  In my eyes that equates to the government telling police officers (all of them) that they should be killing. 

The right word isn’t at my fingertips, but government accepted killings is close enough I guess.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

The right word isn’t at my fingertips, but government accepted killings is close enough I guess.

People who the government employs to protect and serve who murder instead. How’s that? 

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Meanwhile, around the NHL...

Boston is behind in their series ?