Tonight's NHL Games Have Been Postponed Until Saturday

bob_sauve28

The Hockey Diversity Alliance on Thursday formally requested the NHL suspend its slate of playoff games scheduled for that evening, as pro athletes in other North American leagues continue to refuse to play in unprecedented numbers to protest the shooting of Jacob Blake.

San Jose Sharks’ Evander Kane, a co-founder of HDA, made the request public on Thursday, tweeting: “We the [HDA] have formally requested the [NHL] to suspend all playoff games today. We strongly feel this sends a clear message that human rights take priority over sports.”

The league was criticized, including by some of its own players, for not joining the NBA, WNBA, MLS and some MLB teams on Wednesday in postponing games.

The NHL has two playoff games scheduled for Thursday night, with Philadelphia and the New York Islanders playing in Toronto and Las Vegas and Vancouver playing in Edmonton. Thursday’s pregame media availability for Las Vegas and Vancouver were both delayed, with no official start time as of 1 p.m. Islanders Coach Barry Trotz said Thursday morning that his players were going to have a discussion about whether or not they’ll play Thursday night. He believed that the Islanders-Flyers game would go on as planned.

When asked on his thoughts of other leagues choosing to sit out Wednesday and if he expects anything similar with the Flyers Thursday night, Coach Alain Vigneault told reporters via Zoom that he has “really no idea what is going on in the outside world” and that he is invested 24/7 on his team.

“We’re all for equality and social justice ... but right now we’re here to play a game,” Vigneault told reporters via Zoom.

Kane, as well as Minnesota Wild’s Matt Dumba, had expressed disappointment Wednesday that the shooting of Blake wasn’t a topic of conversation among players in a league that consists of predominantly White and Canadian players.

“The NHL, we’re always last to the party, especially on these topics,” Dumba said in a Wednesday interview on Sportsnet 650, a Vancouver-area radio station. “It’s kind of sad and disheartening for me and for other members of the HDA [Hockey Diversity Alliance] and I’m sure other guys across the league. If no one stands up and does anything, it’s the same thing. It’s that silence that you’re just outside looking in on actually being leaders and invoking real change when you have such an opportunity to do so.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/27/nhl-protests-jacob-blake/

Edited by bob_sauve28

37 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Hey Evander what about the human rights of the 3 women you choked in Buffalo then got arrested for?

What a stupid comment.

Because black men never get arrested for crimes they didn't commit.

I'd say you should stay out of this thread

Edited by erickompositör72
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SwampD said:

I think it was a good move. I’m glad the NHL joined the cause.

It’s not the end times. Hopefully, it’s the beginning of better times.

They didn't "join the cause".  They were shamed into this decision so as to not look like racists or totally socially inept.

All of these leagues will go right back to business as usual as soon as they can, believe me.

They are interested in making money, not changing society.

I'm stating the obvious, I know.

• Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

They didn't "join the cause".  They were shamed into this decision so as to not look like racists or totally socially inept.

All of these leagues will go right back to business as usual as soon as they can, believe me.

They are interested in making money, not changing society.

I'm stating the obvious, I know.

I think it's not a unity in that way. There's money involved and owners and league officials and various players don't all share the same view. But when you hear (for example) that Vancouver Canuck players were calling up Ryan Reaves (a guy they're basically at war with on the ice) and asking him for his opinion on what to do that night it tells you that there's more than just shame and optics in this for some at least. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.