Jump to content

Rochester Americans (Hopefully) 2020-21 Thread


Recommended Posts

I'm really interested to see(assuming they have a season) how the Rochester roster is put together, how the new HC fares, and how players are used...AHL vets versus Sabres prospects.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • nfreeman changed the title to Rochester Americans (Hopefully) 2020-21 Thread
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My season seats have become a cash account that carries over to next season. It seems reasonable to me. There was no mention in the email about the early renewal gift/trinket they promise. This year it was a jacket which would have been pretty cool. Hopefully they come through eventually. Hopefully we get back to live hockey. It’s been a big part of my happiness.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we say yet that the rumours of the Amerks being abandoned this year are proving false?

Fogarty, CJ Smith, Dalton Smith, Oglevie, JS Dea and Brandon Davidson seem like a solid pack of veterans.

Dawson Dipietro, Ryan Jones, Brandon Biro and Jesper Olofsson as free agent additions

And some prospects like Casey, Asplund, Samuelsson and Lukkonen.

 

Roster looking something like this?

  • Ogelvie/Mittelstadt/Fogarty
  • Olofsson/Ruotsalainen/Dea
  • CJ Smith/Asplund/Murray
  • Dipietro/Pekar/Dalton Smith
  • Biro
  •  
  • Davidson/Borgen
  • Bryson/Fitzpatrick
  • Samuelson/Laaksonen
  • Jones
  •  
  • Johannson/Lukkonnen
  • Houser

 

Not sure if there are any other vets on AHL-only contracts. Looks like there is room for one or two more signings.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a very young d-corp. I wouldn't turn down an AHL contract on Paetsch (or equivalent) for practices/road trips. Not necessarily to play, just to be the grizzled wookiee on the ship.

Edit: Is MacWilliam (an AHL JAG) sticking around as D?

Edited by DarthEbriate
Link to post
Share on other sites

According to a very unreliable rumor site with the word "buzz" in it(from a couple days ago), one option the NHL is considering is that the minor league team will travel with the big club, and play a game against the AHL team of whomever the Sabres are playing that night.  Hockey day/night doubleheaders, I guess you could call them.  I'm sure this would be grouped with all regional opponents to reduce travel costs as much as possible.

 

Interesting thought, not sure how seriously it is being considered.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

According to a very unreliable rumor site with the word "buzz" in it(from a couple days ago), one option the NHL is considering is that the minor league team will travel with the big club, and play a game against the AHL team of whomever the Sabres are playing that night.  Hockey day/night doubleheaders, I guess you could call them.  I'm sure this would be grouped with all regional opponents to reduce travel costs as much as possible.

 

Interesting thought, not sure how seriously it is being considered.

Seems reasonable because you still need game ready call-ups when injuries/illness/etc start to happen. 

Injuries could have a much larger impact this season than normal without the A as an option as a feeder league, and with the anticipated condensed schedule.

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

According to a very unreliable rumor site with the word "buzz" in it(from a couple days ago), one option the NHL is considering is that the minor league team will travel with the big club, and play a game against the AHL team of whomever the Sabres are playing that night.  Hockey day/night doubleheaders, I guess you could call them.  I'm sure this would be grouped with all regional opponents to reduce travel costs as much as possible.

 

Interesting thought, not sure how seriously it is being considered.

That could be cool, but logistics and costs savings don't seem obvious.  Like, works for Buf / Roc but what about Utica and Vancouver?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

That could be cool, but logistics and costs savings don't seem obvious.  Like, works for Buf / Roc but what about Utica and Vancouver?

They would probably be based in their parent team facilities. Utica would move to Vancouver, Syracuse to Tampa, etc 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

According to a very unreliable rumor site with the word "buzz" in it(from a couple days ago), one option the NHL is considering is that the minor league team will travel with the big club, and play a game against the AHL team of whomever the Sabres are playing that night.  Hockey day/night doubleheaders, I guess you could call them.  I'm sure this would be grouped with all regional opponents to reduce travel costs as much as possible.

 

Interesting thought, not sure how seriously it is being considered.

Hope it gets some traction. Basically play the B team in an opening act, then the varsity in a nightcap.

Would be great for development and creating synergy within the program and would almost certainly help cut costs in the wake of empty arenas. Be nice if they relaxed waiver and roster size considerations as part of it and basically treated it as one big team with players moving back and forth between the squads as the coaches see fit.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Can we say yet that the rumours of the Amerks being abandoned this year are proving false?

Fogarty, CJ Smith, Dalton Smith, Oglevie, JS Dea and Brandon Davidson seem like a solid pack of veterans.

Dawson Dipietro, Ryan Jones, Brandon Biro and Jesper Olofsson as free agent additions

And some prospects like Casey, Asplund, Samuelsson and Lukkonen.

 

Roster looking something like this?

  • Ogelvie/Mittelstadt/Fogarty
  • Olofsson/Ruotsalainen/Dea
  • CJ Smith/Asplund/Murray
  • Dipietro/Pekar/Dalton Smith
  • Biro
  •  
  • Davidson/Borgen
  • Bryson/Fitzpatrick
  • Samuelson/Laaksonen
  • Jones
  •  
  • Johannson/Lukkonnen
  • Houser

 

Not sure if there are any other vets on AHL-only contracts. Looks like there is room for one or two more signings.

Do they have a single right shot in that forward group? 

Regardless, it probably looks better than Botterill's AHL roster and he professed to building through Rochester lol

Edit - Oglevie and Dea. 

Edited by Thorny
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...