Rochester Americans 2020-21 Thread

Brawndo

One of the first things the Org said about Quinn when he was drafted was that they viewed him as being able to play wing and centre. That bugged me b/c if they wanted a C Lundell was right there, so I'd imagine C isn't common with Quinn going forward, but who knows. Maybe they see that as a spot for him. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

One of the first things the Org said about Quinn when he was drafted was that they viewed him as being able to play wing and centre. That bugged me b/c if they wanted a C Lundell was right there, so I'd imagine C isn't common with Quinn going forward, but who knows. Maybe they see that as a spot for him. 

He's got the 2way game and skating to do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Does Quinn's game translate to Center? It's not often a Wing goes to Center, but maybe it would work?

I'm not sure but I don't think it was a coincidence that Adams and Pegs came down and watched his debut at C. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

I'm not sure but I don't think it was a coincidence that Adams and Pegs came down and watched his debut at C. 

Pegula going to Rochester for a game with the GM?  He really has too much free time on his hands...and gives further credence that there is some level of meddling going on.

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Does Quinn's game translate to Center? It's not often a Wing goes to Center, but maybe it would work?

Yes. Quinn drove his line in the OHL and he plays a very underrated 2way game that took a bit to get going in the AHL. He has the talent to do it but I hope he doesn't have to in the NHL because we have multiple centers ready to go and he can wing it up. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Good to hear he is progressing.  Because of his pestiness/grit, I'm hoping he can be an NHL 3rd line/4th line tweener by 22-23...and his OHL scoring numbers over two years were good enough that he has some promise in that regard also.

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Good to hear he is progressing.  Because of his pestiness/grit, I'm hoping he can be an NHL 3rd line/4th line tweener by 22-23...and his OHL scoring numbers over two years were good enough that he has some promise in that regard also.

I love how he talks about him being a pest and a rat like it's a good thing.

I think you're right on, let him marinate and develop that puck execution Appert mentions. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Maybe it's just house radio blowing smoke, but that actually sounds like there is some actual coaching being done to turn our rat into an NHL player.

I like Appert with the kids.

They've had some tough luck lately but he has them in every game for the most part with a rotating lineup. 

There has been no indication the Sabres aren't happy with Appert so far. The responsibility falls to Karmanos to evaluate him as well as Mike Weber and Adam Mair and decide if they are the best teachers for the next generation of Buffalo Sabres. 

So far this season the Amerks have played
In 19 games the team is 8-8-2 good enough for 19 points or a point per game pace and 5th in the North. Goals for are 61, against 76.

The power play has been a bright spot and led the league for most of the year.
They currently sit at number 3 overall with 21 goals on 76 attempts or 27.6%

The penalty kill is another story, hovering near the bottom of the league and is currently dead last allowing 21 goals on 81 attempts for 74.1%

The team has 3 sh goals and has given up 2.

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (Rookie)

The hopeful future number one on the Buffalo Sabres has started 14 games and allowed 49 goals on 438 shots for a .888 save % and a goals against of 3.60.

He's faced an additional 6 shots and saved 3 in shootouts on his way to a 7-5-2 record so far.

Others of note:

Brett Murray (2nd year)
18 games 6 g 8a 14pts .78 ppg including 4 pp goals and is remarkably only a -3 so far.

The way the ice has tilted recently anyone who is close to even on this team is doing something IMO

Oskari Laaksonen (Rookie)
18 games 2g 10a 12pts .67ppg and a -5
He quarterbacks the PP and has added 2 pp goals himself.

Jack Quinn (Rookie)
15 games 2g 7a 9pts .6 ppg and -14
Quinn has played on the powerplay, setting up a couple and adding 2 pp goals of his own.

Working hard on their games:
Matej Pekar pest, rat, opponents hate him
Brandon Biro FA fast, creative, forechecks
Casey Fitzgerald gets the tough assignments, plays aggresively
Dominic Franco FA just seems to be in the right place alot
Ryan Jones FA stay at home D man, he's been mostly steady IMO
Griffin Luce FA somehow a +2 in 12 games

On 4/16/2021 at 11:31 AM, LabattBlue said:

Pegula going to Rochester for a game with the GM?  He really has too much free time on his hands...and gives further credence that there is some level of meddling going on.

Not necessarily. Maybe he was just bored. or maybe Adams said "come to the game, I will show you the guys I've been talking about and you can see for yourself what I mean" and the gist of what that conversation could be about good or bad is myriad in possibility. 

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not necessarily. Maybe he was just bored. or maybe Adams said "come to the game, I will show you the guys I've been talking about and you can see for yourself what I mean" and the gist of what that conversation could be about good or bad is myriad in possibility. 

Not only that, but he’s the owner. Maybe he just wanted to see what’s going on with his investment. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.