Rochester Americans 2020-21 Thread

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don't know if he will ever be an NHL regular, but I'll admit when I am wrong.  After his first couple of rookie and training camps, I didn't think he would ever be offered a contract.  He was that bad.

I hadn't seen him before the start of this season. He's been ok. I think he could play in the NHL some day. 

19 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I hadn't seen him before the start of this season. He's been ok. I think he could play in the NHL some day. 

Yeah Samuelsson is much closer with his overall game.  Laaksonen is nice offensively but his D is bad.  I have high hopes but he needs serious improvement. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Does the acquisition of Bjork result in help going down to Rochester?

I know all teams are in the same position, but having this taxi squad sucks.  I'd much rather have guys in Rochester than in no mans land...practicing, but playing in few to no games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Weren't we saying Adams needs to bring in a LHD? Uh oh

FWIW, Craig Reevay said he talks to Mike Weber, assistant coach is Rochester, who told him that Mattias is ready for the NHL now.  Nothing I’ve seen from their games tells me otherwise.  He would instantly be the most physical defenseman this side of Risto or Borgen.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, inkman said:

FWIW, Craig Reevay said he talks to Mike Weber, assistant coach is Rochester, who told him that Mattias is ready for the NHL now.  Nothing I’ve seen from their games tells me otherwise.  He would instantly be the most physical defenseman this side of Risto or Borgen.  

He's not ready to be a top 4 dman as a rookie

And if he ends up being so, somehow, COUNTING on that heading into next season, I don't need to mention - would be a huge mistake

I'm not saying this is gonna happen I just said "uh oh" cause the though crossed my mind due to dudacek saying he was mentioned a lot

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And if he ends up being so, somehow, COUNTING on that heading into next season, I don't need to mention - would be a huge mistake

I'm not saying this is gonna happen I just said "uh oh" cause the though crossed my mind due to dudacek saying he was mentioned a lot

Though, my muscle reflex is to argue from the position of playoffs being the expectation and goal next year and I have to keep reminding myself my views have changed.

Sure, play MS in a top 4 role to start. Get a good look at him all year

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Don’t worry, he has the huge obstacle know as Matt Irwin ahead of him on the depth chart. 

If you can’t count on bringing up your depth when they are ready, when should you count on them?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Don’t worry, he has the huge obstacle know as Matt Irwin ahead of him on the depth chart. 

If you can’t count on bringing up your depth when they are ready, when should you count on them?

Well, you kinda said it all in your own post

The point is you are supposed to have someone there the new guy actually has to beat out. 

Irwin.

We continually leave holes that can only be filled internally by best-case scenario results. The first time MS fights for a spot we should be counting on him for nothing. If we don't upgrade from outside, we are sticking Matt irwin between him and the spot he's probably not ready for

the depth is never ready until we've seen them in the nhl, ready

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well, you kinda said it all in your own post

The point is you are supposed to have someone there the new guy actually has to beat out. 

Irwin.

We continually leave holes that can only be filled internally by best-case scenario results. The first time MS fights for a spot we should be counting on him for nothing. If we don't upgrade from outside, we are sticking Matt irwin between him and the spot he's probably not ready for

the depth is never ready until we've seen them in the nhl, ready

Your big picture point is dead-on but I think this specific instance is a little unfair.

They went into the season six proven NHL defencemen and Irwin and Davidson as proven filler ahead of Borgen and Bryson, the two kids you didn't pencil in, but hoped would beat someone out.  Bryson has. Borgen appeared to be on his way to doing the same.

Samuelsson entered the season at no better than 11th on the blueline and seems to be outplaying his slot.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Your big picture point is dead-on but I think this specific instance is a little unfair.

They went into the season six proven NHL defencemen and Irwin and Davidson as proven filler ahead of Borgen and Bryson, the two kids you didn't pencil in, but hoped would beat someone out.  Bryson has. Borgen appeared to be on his way to doing the same.

Samuelsson entered the season at no better than 11th on the blueline and seems to be outplaying his slot.

I was talking about next year.

But as for this year, Irwin was their 3rd left shot D to start and that's not good enough

It's not ok for some kid to beat him out half way through the season haha. I'm talking in camp. 

• Like (+1) 1

Pekar just ate some fists.  This org really needs to work on fighting or get some guys that can do it.  I know the sport is moving away from these players but you can’t have a team 100% void of anyone that can do the deed.  Getting your face caved every fight can’t feel great.  At least the Amerks have Dalton Smith who I’m sure we’ll be seeking out the 32 year old man beating up a 20 year old rookie. 

Does Fitzgerald have a future as a 5-6-7 blueliner at the NHL level?  I see he will turn 25 during the 21-22 season

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Jack Quinn is 2C Tonight 

Is this a temporary move due to injuries?  Seems like an odd thing to do to an 18 year old in his first pro season.

22 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Does Fitzgerald have a future as a 5-6-7 blueliner at the NHL level?  I see he will turn 25 during the 21-22 season

Is this a temporary move due to injuries?  Seems like an odd thing to do to an 18 year old in his first pro season.

19 but yeah

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.