Rochester Americans 2020-21 Thread

Brawndo

1 hour ago, inkman said:

There is training camp in Rochester right now?

Not yet.  But, the guys that aren't on the taxi squad or big league club need to be somewhere on the 13th.  (Plus Dea must be getting lonely playing by himself.)

With a 7 day quarantine for entering the country/state, this gets him here & available ~ the time it does open up.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Any word if Euros like Pekar, UPL, etcetera are coming back?

With guys like Mitts and Borgen up on the taxi squad it would seem the Amerks are going to struggle to ice a full lineup.

Expecting that's the case for all the AHL teams except for the 3 teams that are giving homes to the players from the 3 teams that are taking a year off.

Expecting AHL hockey to be substandard generally across the board as teams' top lines & pairings are hanging out watching the guys just ahead of them in the pecking order play.  The only way around that is if a lot of AHL vets that normally would've gone to Europe decided the travel hassles in a COVID world weren't worth the effort leaving them available to complete the rosters.

Edited by Taro T

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

With guys like Mitts and Borgen up on the taxi squad it would seem the Amerks are going to struggle to ice a full lineup.

With 3 teams not playing, my guess is those 3 teams will loan their prospects and signed AHL vets to other teams to complete their rosters and get their kids PT.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm kind of surprised that Johansson is on the taxi squad and not in Rochester.  I thought they signed Togarski for the taxi squad and to have a goalie available for the expansion draft.

Am expecting that Johansson could get flipped w/ Tokarski after the AHL resumes, but right now he's going to develop more facing shots from NHLers in practice than from AHLers in practice.  (Or fringe NHLers vs mid-tier AHLers as the case may be.)

If either guy gets put into action, we're hosed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

This AHL season is going to smell like hot garbage.  With Taxi squads and call ups due to COVID and apparently no intention of icing a full roster, I can’t see how it isn’t a complete farce.  

With all that stuff you just mentioned, it’s not going to be normal.  It’s going to go from a competitive 2nd division league, to more of just a place to keep guys playing.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

One of the reporters posted that UPL and Oskari Laaksonen we’re expected to report to Amerks after they pass quarantine.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

All games are against Syracuse, Utica and Cleveland.

They'd better hope the weather holds.  All those stretches of I-90 can be bears in snow (especially by Lake Erie).  

Any word on how many busses they'll need to maintain whatever is the mandated distancing requirements?

On 2/3/2021 at 8:52 AM, inkman said:

More Amerks news

Well I'm glad they didn't just stand pat with the roster. Wocka, wocka!

Hopefully, the AHL is able to learn from the NHL's opening and avoids getting their players or support and arena workers sick, or at the least identifies and shuts players/teams down in a timely manner. Maybe they're able to get a somewhat useful season in for future development purposes and keep players living the dream.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.