NHL and NHLPA discussing 2020-21 Season Scenarios

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m sticking to my guns.  The NHLPA agreed to the playoff bubble this summer, but I highly doubt they will agree to an entire season & playoffs in a bubble. 

Would expect that they'd be setting it up such that after each 8 game segment they decide how many more of them it looks like they'll run.  They aren't going to start until well after baseball is done & the NFL will be close to playoffs.

In addition to their own & the NBA's bubble experience, they'll have the other 2 league's results to review as well.

Just because the 1st quarter of the season ends up in a bubble, doesn't mean the full year will.

32 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Teams would return to their Home Cities for a period in between to see family I imagine. 

I was pondering that last night.  It seemed to me that the easiest thing would be to rotate divisions. for inter-divisional play.  The teams play 8 games in 16 days, have a few days of travel, and then repeat.  You could also have multiple bubbles and get all the inter-conference games out of the way early to cut down on travel.

They can throw the actual division structure out the window with this.  I'd throw the 7 canadian teams together and then create three more pods out of the remaining 24 teams.  They could have some regional breakout among those 3 groups.  That would take the border crossing out out of play. 

Whatever they do, it's still not going to resemble a real season.  There are just way too many games for that.  It's not ideal, but I'd keep games completely within those 4 so called divisions, minimize travel, and then determine a separate champion within each group over the course of however long the year is.  You then have your conference finalists.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.