NBC Sports REMOVES Mike Milbury

phil_soisson

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Great. So he got removed by this, fine...but for years they let his general abrasive attitude, his seeming lack of understanding of 'modern' hockey, his overall being a bad commentator/bad at his job....they let that go for years.

Yeah, but now he said something that could affend some people which is more important then a hockey analyst knowing hockey......

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Didn't Jimmy the Greek get fired from a CBS NFL show for this?

No.  He was fired for ... I don't even want to put it here.  Just go to his wiki page.  The quote is there.  Has nothing to do with swimming.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Great. So he got removed by this, fine...but for years they let his general abrasive attitude, his seeming lack of understanding of 'modern' hockey, his overall being a bad commentator/bad at his job....they let that go for years.

Of course, no surprise.

Optics clearly more important than substance/competence. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

The moral of the story: being incompetent is a non-firable offense.  Saying something very dumb on any sort of sexual subject is a firable offense. 

It’s probably more correct to say nonsufficient. 

I got a solicitation email from a trail association today asking me to join.

Would you fire/dismiss the PR person who wrote the following reason for joining?

You Will Keep Our Membership Coordinator Busy
This one is for the guys.  When our Membership Coordinator doesn’t have enough to do, she goes around her house and finds projects for her husband.  When you get a membership, you are literally helping out a fellow man.

Women as domestic nags. Truly offensive!

Edited by PASabreFan

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I got a solicitation email from a local trail association today asking me to join.

Would you fire/dismiss the PR person who wrote the following reason for joining?

I would guess that the Membership Coordinator herself wrote that and that it's just self-deprecating humor.  Or is what is probably a volunteer-based trail association large enough to have both a Membership Coordinator and a PR person?

Edited by Eleven

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I got a solicitation email from a local trail association today asking me to join.

I think it's in bad taste and also not particularly funny. Considering the Salmon Canal Holler Trail Association is apparently more than some person with an email address, the person responsible for that email should know better than to alienate people. I'm not sure firing is in order, but a "whoops, that was dumb email" and not having it happen again is good.

Edited by MattPie

37 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I mean, I wouldn't join as a matter of principle for sending such an ignorant email.  Frankly don't care if they fire the person or not.  That's up to them on how they want to run their business.  Milbury does have a bit of a history of doing absolutely idiotic things that should have kept him from a place in the media anyway.  Not sure the person who wrote that email would have the same history. 

That said, it speaks exactly to the kind of thinking that people are working to change.  People are more vocal about it these days because they finally feel as though the need for change is getting through to enough people that they have support to be more vocal. 

On 8/23/2020 at 11:54 AM, Eleven said:

No.  He was fired for ... I don't even want to put it here.  Just go to his wiki page.  The quote is there.  Has nothing to do with swimming.

I’ll put it here. Henry Jones once caused a little commentary saying blacks are faster than whites or something. I want to add some context as I know it. It’s such a horrible thing the way slaves were treated, just like farm animals, in many instances. While slavery was in place, up to the civil war, a revolution in husbandry was taking place with experiments in horse, cattle, hog and most likely slave breeding. It’s undoubtedly true this happened. Now does it explain black success in sports? Who knows, but it’s a theory that some of the facts fit. It’s been a few years since I looked at this but found almost no historical reasearch on it. Maybe that changed lately. But there should be evidence in slave handling manuals, which do exist. 

Its a a touchy subject to say the least. To  African Americans it would be akin to a rape victim discussing her attack. Many whites just want the history of slavery  to be “the past” let’s move on. That movie Django came out and the cruelty and degradation it showed, which seems pretty accurate to me, was denounced as racist by Spike Lee. There is a lot of resistance. I just wish that a comment like the one J the G said could be looked at dispassionately. I don’t think it was hateful, he just had a theory that might or might not be true. 

White Men Can’t Jump! <—-That’s a real movie title

“The black is a better athlete to begin with, because he's been bred to be that way. Because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back. And they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs. And he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes back all the way to the Civil War, when, during the slave trading, the big, the owner, the slave owner would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have uh big black kid, see. That's where it all started!” 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.