Vanek Told Darcy to Draft Kopitar (but Kopitar went 2 picks before Sabres drafted Zagrapan)

Brawndo

• nfreeman changed the title to Vanek Told Darcy to Draft Kopitar (but Kopitar went 2 picks before Sabres drafted Zagrapan)
2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Kopitar went two picks before the Sabres turn.

I read/heard recently That Kopitar was the player Darcy had targeted that year.

Which is fine, and maybe Darcy just couldn't trade up to get him.

The notion that Thomas Vanek pushed for Kopitar seems a little weird to me.    What NHL GM has ever asked a rookie about whom to draft?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Which is fine, and maybe Darcy just couldn't trade up to get him.

The notion that Thomas Vanek pushed for Kopitar seems a little weird to me.    What NHL GM has ever asked a rookie about whom to draft?

Vanek would of possibly played with or against Kopitar at some point seeing as they were both from smaller hockey programs, Austria and Slovenia.

Why wouldn't an NHL GM ask a player about their opinions on potential draft picks? Its more information and every bit counts.

A. Scouts can't see every possible player

B. Players have a more personal interaction with prospects as they may be peers.

C. Character References never hurt

For instance, I would think that Botts would of asked Jokiharju about Kahun before trading for him as they had been roommates the year prior with the Blackhawks. Depending on Jokiharju's character and his response you can certainly gain insight on Kahun in ways a scout would be unable to get. If he says Kahun barely rolls out of bed to go to practice, plays Fortnite at 6 hours a day, and eats a straight diet of Snickers Bars and Pepsi yet somehow still can play you would garner great amounts of character information.

If Vanek, having only played one year in the AHL, said he should go get Kopitar and Darcy's scouts gave similar ideas then he should of tried and got up there to get him. The fact that Vanek went out of his way to tell this to his literal boss tells you that he must have a good reason to do so. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't want to click on the stupid link but eventually I did.  I just can't live my life in a woulda, coulda, shoulda life.  I've made far too many mistakes and would be certifiably insane.  

To start a thread and everyone be woebegotten over wild speculation of an anecdotal tale from two decades ago.  I don't understand people.  Move on with your life.  It feels waaaaaay better than rehashing every misstep, bad decision and wrong turn.  

Edited by inkman

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Vanek would of possibly played with or against Kopitar at some point seeing as they were both from smaller hockey programs, Austria and Slovenia.

Why wouldn't an NHL GM ask a player about their opinions on potential draft picks? Its more information and every bit counts.

B. Players have a more personal interaction with prospects as they may be peers.

For instance, I would think that Botts would of asked Jokiharju about Kahun before trading for him as they had been roommates the year prior with the Blackhawks. Depending on Jokiharju's character and his response you can certainly gain insight on Kahun in ways a scout would be unable to get. If he says Kahun barely rolls out of bed to go to practice, plays Fortnite at 6 hours a day, and eats a straight diet of Snickers Bars and Pepsi yet somehow still can play you would garner great amounts of character information.

If Vanek, having only played one year in the AHL, said he should go get Kopitar and Darcy's scouts gave similar ideas then he should of tried and got up there to get him. The fact that Vanek went out of his way to tell this to his literal boss tells you that he must have a good reason to do so. 

And why would Vanek be someone he asked about Kopitar? Vanek moves to Canada in 1998. When exactly did he see Kopitar play? Did he have a special satellite feed in his dorm? Those were pretty common in the early 2000’s.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Botterill and His Staff interviewed Jack Hughes at the Combine last year even though there was a near zero percent chance they would draft him. The reason they did so was to get background information on His Teammates at the USNTDP. 

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

Can we close this thread or shoot it to the moon?  What a waste of bandwidth or whatever the kids are calling it now (data, word, idk).  

Have mercy kind sir.  There is probably no real Sabres news for another 6 weeks or so, and no games for 4 months.  If someone finds a random comment from Vanek 20 years ago, or Vanek’s  favorite ice cream Flavor for that matter, new-thread-worthy — let him spread his wings and fly.  

3 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Never forget that the Sabres front office once drafted an unseen player that would never play in the NHL with eventual 4x Cup winner Stefan Persson still on the board.  I can't with this organization.  Everyone involved with that decision should retire and the owners should sell the team.

Boy, you made that happen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.