10 Best Trades in Sabres History

Taro T

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And we all recall "hockey people" stating that Leino was the 2nd best FA C available the year the Sabres "lucked" into signing him.  

As for Ducks - Whimpley, there's ALWAYS contrarians.   Sometimes they're right.  In this case they were dead wrong.

Yup.  The same hockey people who thought that the Sabres' last two GMs were the cream of the crop.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Was the LaFontain Turgeon good long term value for the Sabres? Turgeon played for many more years 

The team would not have been nearly as entertaining without that trade.  I make that trade everday even knowing the end result.  Those were some of the most entertaining seasons in Sabres history.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Was the LaFontain Turgeon good long term value for the Sabres? Turgeon played for many more years 

Even knowing eventually all the Sabres were left with was Andrew friggin' Peters, would absolutely make that trade in a heartbeat.  From the day LaFontaine 1st dressed against the Whalers (he missed the Snarks game) until Muckler was told to purge them from the 3rd highest salary in the league to a serious budget team that was easily one of the 3 most entertaining eras of Sabres hockey right up there with mid-late 70's and the 2 post lockout years.

Late 90's, Hasek was the show; early 90's they all were.

Edit: And, if Turgeon gets checked into the boards rather than open ice & LaFontaine avoids the concussion that started him towards the road to the Rags, that trade would've been even better for the Sabres. Can't judge trades based on post trade injuries, IMHO.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Taro T said:

Even knowing eventually all the Sabres were left with was Andrew friggin' Peters, would absolutely make that trade in a heartbeat.  From the day LaFontaine 1st dressed against the Whalers (he missed the Snarks game) until Muckler was told to purge them from the 3rd highest salary in the league to a serious budget team that was easily one of the 3 most entertaining eras of Sabres hockey right up there with mid-late 70's and the 2 post lockout years.

Late 90's, Hasek was the show; early 90's they all were.

Edit: And, if Turgeon gets checked into the boards rather than open ice & LaFontaine avoids the concussion that started him towards the road to the Rags, that trade would've been even better for the Sabres. Can't judge trades based on post trade injuries, IMHO.

Also, LaFontaine played 6 years and 268 regular season games (too lazy to factor in playoffs) in Buffalo while Turgeon played 4 years and 255 games on the island.  So even with the injury issues, we got more time out of LaFontaine.  Pat also put up 385 points to Pierre's 340, 1.43 points per game vs. 1.33.  So he out produced over that time as well.  In terms of long term value, I don't really see much of an argument for either guy.  I'd say that both teams made out well on the trade, at least when it comes to these two players.

With the rest of the players, the only real thing that jumps out to me is that this trade sent Krupp off on a long path towards cementing himself in Colorado Avalanche history.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, shrader said:

With the rest of the players, the only real thing that jumps out to me is that this trade sent Krupp off on a long path towards cementing himself in Colorado Avalanche history.

I hated that Krupp was sent out with Turgeon.  He fit in here so well.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.