Senators will trade at least one of their two top-five picks.

Eleven

31 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

You might want to correct that title.

26 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m confused.  You think it’s a kiss of death scenario?

It's a poke at Bruce Garrioch, the columnist, who is famously unreliable.  And Melnyk, same.

• Like (+1) 2

I won't ever forget, or forgive**, Garrioch's behaviour in connection with the Drury-Neil incident, and, I guess, the Sabres' briefly heated rivalry with the Senators.

** This is sports, mind you. So I "hate" Garrioch in the manner that sports fans reasonably hate anyone. He's like a wrestling heel, I suppose.

Liger, I have been a lurker for almost two decades but admire your posts and work you are putting in to evaluate draft prospects. I was contemplating your post and was wondering if you think we need to move up considering the depth of talented players in the top 8. Especially if we are fortunate enough to have one maybe two defenders come off the board before we pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HOF Wingman said:

Liger, I have been a lurker for almost two decades but admire your posts and work you are putting in to evaluate draft prospects. I was contemplating your post and was wondering if you think we need to move up considering the depth of talented players in the top 8. Especially if we are fortunate enough to have one maybe two defenders come off the board before we pick.

welcome to the board! I know ur question was for Liger but if we're fortunate to have 2 defenders off the board before our pick, i dont think we'd have to move up, as a good prospect will drop to us. But regardless i think the cost of moving up would be too high for us. If we're gonna use assets to move up, i'd rather we use them to receive a player who can help us right away. Like a Cirelli or someone else thats been mentioned a lot.

26 minutes ago, HOF Wingman said:

Welcome to the board!

8 hours ago, HOF Wingman said:

Welcome to the board. 

I know the post wasn’t to me, but I’d rather trade the pick for a proven player (like a Cirelli) than trade it to move up to take someone that we don’t know for certain if they’ll pan out or not. I’m not even convinced that Lafreniere will be as good as people think. 

Thank you Mr. Amerk!

I have read quite a bit on this board about trading the pick for a proven player. I am not against it, but I wonder how we pry a good youngish proven player from other teams. The players we want are the players they will want to keep.

I read a lot about the 2C role and it’s important and we need it badly, but from what I see, if we have a top 5 or even top ten goaltender we are in the playoffs. We give up too many soft goals, and it hurts us on the PK as well. After the performance of our backup last year, we need another option.

Just a couple thoughts. Glad to be part of the group here. Let’s go Buffalo!

18 minutes ago, HOF Wingman said:

Thank you Mr. Amerk!

I have read quite a bit on this board about trading the pick for a proven player. I am not against it, but I wonder how we pry a good youngish proven player from other teams. The players we want are the players they will want to keep.

I read a lot about the 2C role and it’s important and we need it badly, but from what I see, if we have a top 5 or even top ten goaltender we are in the playoffs. We give up too many soft goals, and it hurts us on the PK as well. After the performance of our backup last year, we need another option.

While your observation is true that we have a need in the cage, it's not the only need. It's not the only move that gets us in the playoffs. We are weak at C and RW.

Adding a RW would not solve the problem, as we would still need a 2C. However, adding a 2C could solve the problem without adding a RW by allowing players to slot into the wing where they fit better.

So, 2C is the most important position to fill at this time and then goalie.

Almost forgot....welcome to the board.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

59 minutes ago, HOF Wingman said:

Thank you Mr. Amerk!

True though it appears Sabres have two young tenders about to take that jump so 2C has to be the priority.  A better bkup goalie imo should be the next assignment.  It will be interesting to see how it goes.

19 hours ago, HOF Wingman said:

Welcome to the board and thanks. 

No I would probably not move up due to cost and unless you can get 3 (I don't think you can) basically everyone 4-9 maybe 10 is in a similar category and it is kind of a sit back and you pick your poison. 

I personally think there is a real chance of 2 defenders going. Ottawa could use one, Anaheim could, and NJD could. We can surmise at least 1 will go because the draft is soft on defensive depth and teams draft based on need, don't let them lie to you. I think Dysdale and Sanderson are the 2 we should be talking about being drafted. Sanderson doesn't come up as much but is ranked by several places in the top 5. There's almost always a surprise pick (Moritz Seider, Barrett Hayton) so that is something to consider for the top 10 as well. 

1 hour ago, HOF Wingman said:

Thank you Mr. Amerk!

Welcome to the board!

Regarding the backup goalie, we may be stuck with Hutton for the year.  Maybe his vision problem has been corrected.  But at a cap hit of $2.75 mil, the present penny pinching Pagulas (alliterative homage to the late Irv Weinstein), and Hutton turning 35 in December, I see another team wanting him doubtful.  And since the Amerks seem to be on a youth/development movement, all Hutton would do if demoted would be to take ice time from the youngsters (or pay him to do nothing).

Ok, I went old school with my yodel comment. Back in the day Craig Janney and Joey Juneau were good young players with Boston. And they wanted more money. A reporter asked Harry Sinden about their threat to play in Switzerland. His response was “better start yodeling” or something like it. I still chuckle over it. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.