Would you be happy if Hall was acquired by the Sabres?

SabresFanInRochester

If Buffalo went into free agency and pays enough for Taylor Hall to come to Buffalo and he signs, would you be happy?

Would Kim Pegula still trouble you?

Would you be upset because they still don't have the 2nd line center?

Would you be upset because they still haven't traded Ristolainen?

Would you damn the team for spending so close to the cap that they limit their ability to make future acquisitions?

or

Would you be excited for the team?

Would you be back in the seats when allowed to attend games?

Would you see that acquisition as enough attempted improvement to the forwards that you'd concede Cozens time to grow into his role?

What would a move like that do for you? Yeah, I hear Calgary is the desired destination for Taylor Hall, but I'm just curious. If they pull off this move, would it change your opinion of current operations?

1 hour ago, SabresFanInRochester said:

If Buffalo went into free agency and pays enough for Taylor Hall to come to Buffalo and he signs, would you be happy?

Probably

Still?

Well sure, but what does this have to do with Taylor Hall?

I’d like them to keep Ristolainen

Would you damn the team for spending so close to the cap that they limit their ability to make future acquisitions?

If they do, sure.

Every time they win

I live thousands of miles away, but someday I hope to

Would you see that acquisition as enough attempted improvement to the forwards that you'd concede Cozens time to grow into his role?

You mean “does this give Cozens a better chance to succeed?” Possibly. Or “does this make it easier to live with our centre spine?” Not at all.

What would a move like that do for you? Yeah, I hear Calgary is the desired destination for Taylor Hall, but I'm just curious. If they pull off this move, would it change your opinion of current operations?

I don’t have an opinion yet on Adams, but the amount I approve of this move what largely be tied to the contract Hall signed, and the other moves it would (should) be tied to. 

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I like the way you answered these questions --- no offense to the other posters. You left room for clarification and so I will elaborate on a couple of your responses:

Still?

I guess I wrote "still" because I cannot find anyone who seems to be complacent with the current ownership and leadership structure. People rip the Pegulas for their operational blunders and business decisions but I am actually not seeing it as a problem, so for me, it isn't a "still." I think my intention was -- if a high end free agent was brought in, would you finally back off your criticism of management?

Well sure, but what does this have to do with Taylor Hall?

If you're spending big on Hall, how much cap space remains to bring in a legit 2nd line center?

I’d like them to keep Ristolainen

Holy $hit! I'm not the only one?

You mean “does this give Cozens a better chance to succeed?” Possibly. Or “does this make it easier to live with our centre spine?” Not at all.

My intention was more towards the 2nd option you present. 

I don’t have an opinion yet on Adams, but the amount I approve of this move what largely be tied to the contract Hall signed, and the other moves it would (should) be tied to. 

I agree that one move isn't going to paint a complete picture on Adams. But that would be a major acquisition!

Obviously Hall added is a roster upgrade BUT I'd have to think it would be a big price tag and watching him in these playoffs where he would presumably be giving his all and showcasing himself to up his payday he doesn't dominate and as we already got skinnered alive on one deal signing him would screw up our cap forever and the rest of our roster would be rubbish. So no. 

Give me some Bruins instead. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be happy as he isn't a center nor does he bring any skill set we don't already have. 

You need top 6 players certainly but they need to differ in specialty at very least. Hall and Skinner are far too similar in terms of streaky goal scorers only Hall is a better playmaker at least.

Let's just pretend,

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Olofsson-Cozens-Hall

I see high scoring potential but simultaneously a youngster being thrown to the wolves again, and very little in terms of grit besides the youngster mentioned prior. Defensively again we'd be entirely depending on Eichel and a rookie with Reinhart and Olofsson as their primary winger defensively.

We need a Cirelli(Selke) or a Tkachuk(Gritty Power Forward) type far more than another soft skilled guy no matter how great he could be. 

Even if it worked in the regular season we'd be massacred in the playoffs every time as our guys would just be out muscled.

Devil in the details, but I imagine no.

Too expensive, and won't fit our timeline.

Of course. She won't earn the benefit of the doubt until it's a cup contending program.

VERY MUCH YES

Most likely.

If this question is "Are you ok with crippling flexibility of roster composition before the important holes are filled?", then yes, of course I am. Adding Hall does not equate to we're suddenly a contender.

or

See above

Once my wife is ok that it's safe, yes.

This question is weird. Cozens should be given time to grow regardless; acquisitions to aid this aren't a requirement for that (they are if the team wants to compete right now, though.)

It wouldn't. It would once again make me question whether or not they know how championship teams are constructed.

I'd also like to say, that if this questionnaire was hypothetically coming from Kim Pegula herself, I'd be terrified. These are all the wrong questions on how to fix this team. Too much focus on a shiny, expensive player we don't need right now, and not enough on the structure of the team that's been crippled since the O'Reilly trade. Without a proper center spine, we're in trouble.

Edited by Gabrielor

2 hours ago, Gabrielor said:

Too expensive, and won't fit our timeline..

Focusing on this part, if our timeline is not now, why?  Jack is now in his mid 20s.  I’ll want to hear a good justification for why now isn’t the time to go for it.

43 minutes ago, Weave said:

Focusing on this part, if our timeline is not now, why?  Jack is now in his mid 20s.  I’ll want to hear a good justification for why now isn’t the time to go for it.

I meant contractual timeline, not competing timeline.

Our team timeline to win is right now. Adding a Hall contract (9+ million dollar winger for multiple years) basically ensures that we can't maneuver to fix our center position, or continue to build our defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

I meant contractual timeline, not competing timeline.

Our team timeline to win is right now. Adding a Hall contract (9+ million dollar winger for multiple years) basically ensures that we can't maneuver to fix our center position, or continue to build our defense. 

Not sure what else we can add to this defense. It is one of the deepest and best units in the NHL. If the forwards were trash and the goaltending woefully inadequate we would be about to see that better. 

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not sure what else we can add to this defense. It is one of the deepest and best units in the NHL. If the forwards were trash and the goaltending woefully inadequate we would be about to see that better. 

In the short term, moving a little transition for a little more defensive toughness, that can still play (note: not Bogosian)

In the long term, Dahlin contract, Jokiharju contract, transitioning to younger guys eventually (Borgen, etc)

Defense is deep, fully agree, but not a finished product, and does require tinkering.

Also should mention: There's a 0% chance Montour and Ristolainen and Miller are all back. Someone's moving, and therefore, that depth will change a bit (it should've in 2019, but I digress).

Edited by Gabrielor

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So you don't want any natural RW on the entire team?

Probably easier to move risto/montour/reinhart for wings and centers though.  I don't think halls coming here so this is probably moot.  

You can't trade skinners contract, and i dont know that a team that struggles to score goals should be moving a player like oloffson.  So yeah... its not really much of a fit to bring in hall. 

I think finding a new RW to play with eichel might be cheaper in terms of trade value than trying to find a center.  That way you can create a 2nd line around reinhart and maybe skinner - to go with olof-eich-new guy.  In any case - moves will need to be made, I'm not in favor of spending on a guy like hall.  

Edited by Drag0nDan

Taylor Hall has been mentioned on this board off & on for years now. I think it would've made sense prior to the contract we gave Skinner. But now for reasons you guys have eloquently stated, it doesn't make much sense. We need a C & RW right now. The money it would take to land Hall doesn't fill those needs. I wouldn't be pissed if we signed him, but i can't see it happening.

2 hours ago, In The Buff said:

Taylor Hall has been mentioned on this board off & on for years now. I think it would've made sense prior to the contract we gave Skinner. But now for reasons you guys have eloquently stated, it doesn't make much sense. We need a C & RW right now. The money it would take to land Hall doesn't fill those needs. I wouldn't be pissed if we signed him, but i can't see it happening.

Would be nice if the Mittelstadts and thompsons could step up and contribute.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Let's just pretend,

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Olofsson-Cozens-Hall

Best case scenario is you have the exact same problem as Toronto with far too much money on 4 forwards and very little left to fill out the rest of the roster. Since you've still got Reinhart there as top line I assume you're upping his payday into that level as well but you'll be paying just about the same level of money for 4 players as they do, with arguably less talent among them. It's a recipe for failure.

The only way you could economically bring in Hall would be to trade Reinhart for cheap prospects and/or picks and then you're just swapping one winger for another. That scenario MIGHT help us improve down the line if those picks were of any value but in the short term we'd be about the same. 

21 hours ago, SabresFanInRochester said:

or

If they did it without upgrading at C, I’d be furious. And then I’d laugh at their utter incompetence. If they bring him in in a way apart from that, I’m open to it. 

The tone of your post troubles me, since you seem to have insider connections. It seems to suggest Hall could very well mean no 2c.

It’s just not an acceptable path for an organization that has borne witness to what no C spine does to a team. Even if they got lucky and it worked, it would still have been a stupid decision outright if they go the offseason without upgrading at C, at all.

Even a Copp level addition would be reasonable in light of further adds to the forwards like this. Now I’m not saying you are definitely suggesting they wouldn’t upgrade at C, but that’s my 2 cents on the possibility.

So what’s the deal, Calgary has some playoff success potentially, balk at Hall (and the trade they lined up with us) so we go after Hall instead? ?

Edited by Thorny

16 hours ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Zero chance that this happens, but yes I would be happy. I’d also be happy if Margot Robbie fed me chicken nuggets in bed while watching TV

You’re the Magic Man now, Cal. 

Shake and Bake.

9 hours ago, Weave said:

It’s the time to go for it. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.