Updated Seth Appert Hired as Amerks HC/Adam Mair and Mike Weber Named Asst Coaches

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

You mean General Tagge? Admiral Motti? Or do you mean Grand Moff Tarkin? Pol Treidum?    I...  I'll just wait outside for a bit.

No no I set off the Bat signal. 

I meant Tarkin I think. There's something about Leia's, "Vader on a leash" line that never sits quite right with me. Makes it seem like Tarkin was above Vader. But Sith Lord stuff so ya I dunno. 

I feel like when you watch the first Star Wars and nothing else, they seem more less equals, so that's what I went with lol 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I think they made it pretty clear they want a developmental focus instead of just a million AHL lifers 

What did Taylor have to do with that? 

I thought he was great with the young guys. They always seemed to be the last guys on ice at warm ups. 

1 minute ago, Ogre said:

What did Taylor have to do with that? 

I thought he was great with the young guys. They always seemed to be the last guys on ice at warm ups. 

Adams  never directly linked it Taylor, but all his Amerks talk was about development. 
Hard not to connect the dots.

1 minute ago, Ogre said:

If anything that makes me question Adams’ judgement. 

So what you're saying is, even though you'd be unhappy with the decision to load the Amerks up with prospects, you'd think Taylor the man to lead that ship? 

5 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I just don’t want to go back to watching a bunch of losses because yada yada development. 

Taylor was developing what few true prospects we had just fine.

You might be spending more time in the yard than the rink.

You’re going to be watching a lot of Samuelsson Laaksonen, Bryson, and Fitzgerald this year, win or lose.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

even though you'd be unhappy with the decision to load the Amerks up with prospects

Huh? Where did I say that!?

I love watching the prospects. I get to see them multiple nights a week looong before you guys do?.

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

you'd think Taylor the man to lead that ship? 

Yes I do. Everyone in the rink seemed to respect the guy. 

What prospect do you think he failed and why?

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You’re going to be watching a lot of Samuelsson Laaksonen, Bryson, and Fitzgerald this year, win or lose.

Why wasn’t Taylor the right guy for these kids?

10 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I just don’t want to go back to watching a bunch of losses because yada yada development. 

Taylor was developing what few true prospects we had just fine.

Sorry, I was referring to this. I feel like lots of prospects equals lots of development equals lots of losses

4 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Huh? Where did I say that!?

I love watching the prospects. I get to see them multiple nights a week looong before you guys do?.

Yes I do. Everyone in the rink seemed to respect the guy. 

What prospect do you think he failed and why?

I don't think he failed a prospect, I was just trying to guage your more Rochester-informed view of the job he did. In truth I don't follow the Amerks very closely. I follow them when they have young prospects. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Sorry, I was referring to this. I feel like lots of prospects equals lots of development equals lots of losses

I see. I should elaborate. I really think Taylor was a great developmental coach. Someone mentioned Ron and that’s where my thoughts were. He had a team of prospects(girgs, McCabe) but he couldn’t do squat in the league because he was out of his league. 

That’s why I’m lamenting the loss of Taylor and skeptical of new guy(new Ron)....

• Like (+1) 1

For example, Adams signs Murray who was a kid that came in late and still grew. His numbers tapered off because suddenly Mitts is down and needs first line minutes, PP minutes, PK minutes...all the things that Murray was playing. Mitts started getting his legs a bit. That’s a developmental coach doing good things for both a fringe player and a draft pick. 

That’s Taylor working with the situation and still bringing guys along. What’s this new guy have? Let’s hope he isn’t Ron 2.0.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

They could have hired Scotty Bowman for this position and I am confident that people would ***** all over the announcement.

They did this with Rolston, arguably the darkest hour of the Amerks franchise.  They will be terrible again.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I don’t have a clue.

Seemed like a stand-up leader to me. Maybe skill development/teaching? Maybe he his philosophy was different than Adams? Maybe he was too invested in the Botterill regime and was just a victim of the purge?

A lot of noise from Adams about clean slates, and  getting everyone on the same page.

Edited by dudacek

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A lot of noise from Adams about clean slates, and  getting everyone on the same page.

Well, let’s hope he has the juice.

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

darkest hour of the Amerks franchise

Waaaaaay the ***** out of his league.

27 minutes ago, inkman said:

They did this with Rolston, arguably the darkest hour of the Amerks franchise.  They will be terrible again.  

What are the similarities between Rolston and Appert so strong that they represent good evidence that Appert will be a disaster?

Is it proven that anyone who holds the position of USNTDP HC is doomed to be a disaster as an AHL HC?  That seems to be quite a leap of faith, or clairvoyance.

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

I see. I should elaborate. I really think Taylor was a great developmental coach. Someone mentioned Ron and that’s where my thoughts were. He had a team of prospects(girgs, McCabe) but he couldn’t do squat in the league because he was out of his league. 

That’s why I’m lamenting the loss of Taylor and skeptical of new guy(new Ron)....

I have to agree with everything Ogre is saying. 

There was nothing wrong with Tails. For the youngsters he had, he was doing a great job helping develop them, IMO. I understand wanting to change directions, but I think Taylor would’ve pivoted with the plan just fine. 

I was also finally having fun going to Amerks games for the first time in many years. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Curt said:

Are you sure?  Crowe’s last season was 2016-17, Appert’s first was 2017-18.

That may be the case, but nevertheless, they are still connected by the USNTDP. They probably have the same references and/or connections. Maybe we should look to the NTDP for our next hire. 

18 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I'm not familiar with Appert either, but his background sounds a little bit like that of Ron Rolston.  For a minor league team that the big club wants to use for development purposes, this may be the right kind of hire.  Time will tell.

The words "Ron Rolston" and the phrase "the right kind of hire" should not ever be used in adjacent sentences. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

"I know nothing about this, but I'm generally upset with previous moves by the organization, so I will die on the hill that it is a bad move."

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Seems to be the general gist in here. 

Sorry.  History has taught us.  Hiring these development guys = cultural shift to prospects with no regard to winning in the AHL.  Even though this has been proven time and time again to provide a toxic, losing culture that players can't get away from fast enough.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.