Matt Ellis to be Named Director of Player Development

Brawndo

And since I bashed the local media this morning on another thread, kudos to Lance for breaking and developing this story.

Matt was the epitome of a player who maximized what the gene pool gave him, so he doesn't appear to be a bad choice here.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Oh *****!  Matt Ellis, the Matt Ellis of Player Development Directors!

This answers the question in that other thread...  who is the Matt Ellis of NHL franchise Player Development Directors? That the answer is Matt Ellis is the Matt Ellisest answer.

36 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

I like the Chose One.

So you're saying that Matt Ellis is prophesied to bring balance to the Moulson?

It's amazing how clueless people are and have to equate how a player played hockey to how a player can fulfill the role of assisting and leading others in developing their skills as a hockey player.

Who's better suited for the role? A person with natural gifts that they can't explain what they had done to make it to the NHL or someone who had to work really hard and examine every aspect of their game in order to be a marginal player in the NHL?

Maybe he'll do a good job, maybe he won't. No one knows, and people on this board sure as hell have no idea. The best you have available to you is having seen him play and somehow that makes you qualified to judge his ability to fulfill this position.

It boggles the mind.  Let's just make some ***** up about people and ***** all over them.  As long as you feel better about yourself, that's all that matters right?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Met Matt Ellis and Pat Kaleta at Tim Horton’s in the Harborcenter last year; had casual chat with Patty, but forgot Ellis’ first name, and definitely called him Ryan.  In my defense, the smoked manhattans at the Marriott bar did me in that evening, and it was an early morning.  Nice guy, nonetheless.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

It's amazing how clueless people are and have to equate how a player played hockey to how a player can fulfill the role of assisting and leading others in developing their skills as a hockey player.

Who's better suited for the role? A person with natural gifts that they can't explain what they had done to make it to the NHL or someone who had to work really hard and examine every aspect of their game in order to be a marginal player in the NHL?

Maybe he'll do a good job, maybe he won't. No one knows, and people on this board sure as hell have no idea. The best you have available to you is having seen him play and somehow that makes you qualified to judge his ability to fulfill this position.

It boggles the mind.  Let's just make some ***** up about people and ***** all over them.  As long as you feel better about yourself, that's all that matters right?

1 minute ago, Ogre said:

I agree with @LTS and admit that he was one of my favorite players. Both Sabres and Amerks. That dude never quit. 

Yeah. People want sexy hires.  This is about as sexy as Bea Arthur.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

It's an apprenticeship. All you need is a GED.

Well then, screw my bachelors degree in NHL player development, no wonder I wasn’t even given a call back. 

Hopefully someone else will call me back so I can pay off the school loan. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Haha (+1) 2

Is it just my imagination or is there a sense of coup d'etat having taken place here? Good soldiers risking their positions to save the monarchy?

General Ralph and some of the Colonels and Majors got together to perform an intervention? After removal of the dark overlord, some of the mid-level officers moved up in pay grade? 

I'm not complaining, just wondering.

14 hours ago, LTS said:

A bit much, wouldn't you say? This is the Effin N.H.L. "Maybe he'll be good" doesn't cut it.

The hockey world is the Pegulas' oyster, and they cast a net just far enough to get hangers-on, alumni, fine young Pegula People, the otherwise unemployable. Garbage owners. It's clear that's never going to change.

(And I'd like to meet the "natural" player who curtsied his way into the professional ranks. I'd suggest he doesn't exist.)

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.