Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
spndnchz

So #8

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

These guys are all going to be JAGs.

They aren't and you are only saying that because you want Buffalo to trade the pick. 

15 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

thats why you roll the dice and draft the best goalie prospect since Price. 

No. You don't draft goalies in the top 10 and you certainly don't draft goalies coming from a very skewed league in the top 10. Top goalies can be found outside of the top 10 and routinely are. 

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’d throw a defensive prospect and 8 to Anaheim for 6 if Rossi is still on the board 

I'd throw Montour and 8 to Ottawa and take him at 5. (maybe ask ottawa for a 2nd round pick or something along those lines to balance it out)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They aren't and you are only saying that because you want Buffalo to trade the pick. 

You've got it backwards.  I want them to trade the pick because these I think these guys are JAGs.  If I thought they were worthwhile, I wouldn't want them to trade the pick.

Edited by Eleven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They aren't and you are only saying that because you want Buffalo to trade the pick. 

 

If Tampa couldn't work out the finances to keep Cirelli would you trade our first pick for him if a trade proposal was offered? I also want to deal the pick for an established second line player who is in his mid 20s. However, I believe that if we keep the pick we will come away with a good player who will be ready in two years or so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’d throw a defensive prospect and 8 to Anaheim for 6 if Rossi is still on the board 

Don't a few in the know have us passing on Rossi at 8? For Holtz or whatever? Hard to see them moving up for him IF those rumours prove true.. I guess they aren't right very often, though. Hopefully. 

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Don't a few in the know have us passing on Rossi at 8? For Holtz are whatever? I guess they aren't right very often..

Who is saying that?  Adams says he loves hockey sense, character and skill.  Rossi has all of them in spades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the draft cut off for birthdays? Rossi is Sept 23? He must have just barely missed the 2019 draft. 

Just now, Flashsabre said:

Who is saying that?  Adams says he loves hockey sense, character and skill.  Rossi has all of them in spades.

Good. I dunno, Wheeler apparently had us targeting Holtz or one of the two D, and I think someone else Brawndo mentioned had Rossi going to the Wild at 9, but that could have been Wheeler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Don't a few in the know have us passing on Rossi at 8? For Holtz are whatever? Hard to see them moving up for him.. I guess they aren't right very often, though. Hopefully. 

If they took Holtz over Rossi, I could immediately dismiss the entire scouting staff for being piss poor at their jobs. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What is the draft cut off for birthdays? Rossi is Sept 23? He must have just barely missed the 2019 draft. 

Good. I dunno, Wheeler apparently had us targeting Holtz or one of the two D, and I think someone else Brawndo mentioned had Rossi going to the Wild at 9, but that could have been Wheeler. 

The Sabres just turned over their entire front office and scouting.  Wheeler has no insight on what they are thinking.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What is the draft cut off for birthdays? Rossi is Sept 23? He must have just barely missed the 2019 draft. 

September 15 is cut off.  Rossi was only 8 days away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The Sabres just turned over their entire front office and scouting.  Wheeler has no insight on what they are thinking.

Yeah, I’ve seen multiple places/people projecting Raymond/Holtz because Buffalo “really likes Swedes”.  Sort of a head scratcher.

I would just dismiss stuff like that.  I don’t think anyone has a handle on what Buffalo likes just yet, but they still need to print something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Rossi is there, I believe Kevyn Adams will take him. A bit back my source told me he didn’t like who will be available at 8 and would entertain trading it because of that. The player where that wouldn’t be the case was Rossi, who Adams likes. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

If Rossi is there, I believe Kevyn Adams will take him. A bit back my source told me he didn’t like who will be available at 8 and would entertain trading it because of that. The player where that wouldn’t be the case was Rossi, who Adams likes. 

Please tell your source that Rossi won't be there, that a bunch of Just Another Guys will be there, and encourage your source to trade the pick.

Signed, everyone not named Liger.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Please tell your source that Rossi won't be there, that a bunch of Just Another Guys will be there, and encourage your source to trade the pick.

Signed, everyone not named Liger.

What players in the draft do you view as more than JAGs?  What guys are worth selecting at #8?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I don't agree with the order but I think this list has at least 8 and probably 9 players named in the top ten that will be taken in the top 10.

 

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2020/9/23/21445047/2020-nhl-mock-draft-round-one-alex-lafreniere-prospect-reports

 

I think those could easily be the 7 that go before Buffalo picks, in fact that would be my prediction. This particularly would be a disappointing way to see it unfold, Rossi going one pick before ours, and then taking Holtz. 

"After setting records for draft eligible production in the OHL, Rossi is a 5’9” center who isn’t afraid to play a lot bigger than his size. There is a lot of Brad Marchand in his game, right down to the dirty streak. He’s the kind of player opponents hate to play against."

Want. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I think those could easily be the 7 that go before Buffalo picks, in fact that would be my prediction. This particularly would be a disappointing way to see it unfold, Rossi going one pick before ours, and then taking Holtz. 

Minny isn't going to let Lundell go by while they pick Sanderson. I'm not certain Sanderson is there at 9.

I'd be happy with Lundell but again, I don't think he will be there.

With all the talk about trading Laine, maybe Chevy will end up with another top 10 pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Minny isn't going to let Lundell go by while they pick Sanderson. I'm not certain Sanderson is there at 9.

I'd be happy with Lundell but again, I don't think he will be there.

With all the talk about trading Laine, maybe Chevy will end up with another top 10 pick.

Lundell would be a great pick for the Jets in that spot, if I was them, that's who I'm taking, skipping to the podium. The guy is going to solidify a centre unit. That the Jets may get him at 10 when they should have been picking I guess 12th and were a playoff team, well it would bug me a little bit!

If Rossi is gone, I would much rather take Lundell (drives his own line) than Holtz, and sleep well looking at our new Mid 6 C set-up of:

Staal (Cozens)

Haula/Copp (Lundell)

...we have a chance here to go from weak C depth to strong, good ceiling HIGH floor heir-apparents ADEQUATELY insulated with no-bs Mid 6 C vets for now. If Cozens and Lundell reach to within 80% of their ceilings we are laughing with a C spine no one wants to play on their best day. 

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @LGR4GM who's the best playmaker in the draft? Laf?

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of speculation on who's still there at eight if we're going to entertain trading the pick doesn't it make sense to wait until the draft goes a few picks in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Thorny said:

Hey @LGR4GM who's the best playmaker in the draft? Laf?

Best is really hard to name but I would say Lafrienere, Perfetti and Rossi are all in the conversation. 

18 minutes ago, Radar said:

Regardless of speculation on who's still there at eight if we're going to entertain trading the pick doesn't it make sense to wait until the draft goes a few picks in?

Yes, you should wait until you are on the draft floor while already having the leg work done to roughly know what you can get for the pick. 

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

If Rossi is there, I believe Kevyn Adams will take him. A bit back my source told me he didn’t like who will be available at 8 and would entertain trading it because of that. The player where that wouldn’t be the case was Rossi, who Adams likes. 

This confirms my sense of what Adams is about. He's going to value sacrifice and effort more than the previous GMs.

That he doesn't like who he thinks will be available at eight tells me that the Sabres are probably expecting to be looking at choosing a player from the Perfetti Raymond and Holtz group and finding them lacking in that area.

I continue to have a good feeling about Rossi slipping to us and am starting to think Sanderson might be guy if Rossi is not there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This confirms my sense of what Adams is about. He's going to value sacrifice and effort more than the previous GMs.

That he doesn't like who he thinks will be available at eight tells me that the Sabres are probably expecting to be looking at choosing a player from the Perfetti Raymond and Holtz group and finding them lacking in that area.

I continue to have a good feeling about Rossi slipping to us and am starting to think Sanderson might be guy if Rossi is not there.

  1. Lafrienere
  2. Byfield
  3. Stutzle
  4. Perfetti
  5. Raymond
  6. Drysdale
  7. Holtz/Quinn/Sanderson 
  8. Rossi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A long and interesting breakdown of how Ottawa drafts. They are real possibility for Rossi at 5, they like the OHL and they easily have watched Rossi play. 

https://theathletic.com/2083829/2020/09/23/senators-draft-trends-analyzing-12-years-of-pierre-dorion-picks/?article_source=search&search_query=Draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This confirms my sense of what Adams is about. He's going to value sacrifice and effort more than the previous GMs.

That he doesn't like who he thinks will be available at eight tells me that the Sabres are probably expecting to be looking at choosing a player from the Perfetti Raymond and Holtz group and finding them lacking in that area.

I continue to have a good feeling about Rossi slipping to us and am starting to think Sanderson might be guy if Rossi is not there.

Regarding Raymond and what you implied as a perceived lack of sacrifice or effort.  He doesn’t lack in those areas, he excels in them.  In addition to being very skilled, he is a diligent 200 ft player, and he came into his just started season having worked hard in the time off, adding a lot of muscle.

I think of his ceiling as a Marian Hossa/Daniel Alfredsson type of complete winger.

I would be excited to draft him at #8.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...