So #8

spndnchz

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Given the salary cap and financial constraints that all teams will face this is the year I trade #8 for a known quantity - a top 6 forward or a goalie. 

I am not interested in waiting 2-3 years for #8 to develop.  I want to make the playoffs now.   Adams better heed this advice.   

I disagree with a part of your response. Because of the unique financial environment brought on by the virus that has depressed the revenues there are deals that can be made for a pittance that will strengthen the roster. The Sabres still have the ability without trading their pick to bring another second line player. If you add that to the Staal addition it adds up to constructing a second line without giving up much in assets. Even with an in-house cap we still can bring in talent. 

Our first round pick is a valuable commodity because you are bringing in a high end prospect and having him in your system for an entry level price. In today's NHL world that is a high value asset that is cost effective. 

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

It's paywalled.  Who does ESPN have the Sabres taking?

I pasted wrong link.  

Final NHL mock draft: How the first round shakes out after Lafreniere https://insider.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/30039762/nhl-mock-draft-2020-chris-peters-final-first-round-projections-all-31-picks-starting-alexis-lafreniere

via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yep. Still can’t see it.

Who do they have the Sabres taking?

After watching the Crowe presser where he describes what defining characteristics a Buffalo Sabre should have, and seeing what Adams has had to say on the same, I can't imagine them not picking Rossi if he's there.

I could even imagine them moving up to take him.

5 hours ago, Radar said:

What?but

Sometimes it's best not to try to understand.

The history of the 8th pick shows that trading out of that pick is usually the correct strategy either up or down.  That doesn't mean that the kid drafted 8th won't go on to a HOF career, but history says he is more likely to be a bust then a star or even a top 6 forward/Top 4 D.  For all the Mitts doubters, he was taken 8th.

13 hours ago, inkman said:

Its ESPN they forsake the NHL so forget em

The Athletic has Perfetti going #4, Rossi going #7 and the Sabres with...

8. Buffalo: Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgarden-SHL

John Vogl: The Swedish right winger checks every box on the Sabres’ needs list, both now and down the road. In a defense-heavy organization, Holtz would slot behind only Dylan Cozens among Buffalo’s forward prospects. The goal-scoring sniper also fills a hole down the right side. Sam Reinhart is the only 20-goal scorer at right wing in Buffalo or Rochester, so Holtz could immediately compete for a top-six role whenever he makes the move to North America.

https://theathletic.com/2072618/?source=twitteradsbc&ad_id=29871744

The Holtz to Buffalo (and the Montour not being qualified) chatter is coming primarily from the Buffalo News crowd (old and new) not from league sources.

We will soon see but past evidence is Vogl and Harrington aren't that plugged in to the inner workings of the Sabres.

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The Athletic has Perfetti going #4, Rossi going #7 and the Sabres with...

https://theathletic.com/2072618/?source=twitteradsbc&ad_id=29871744

Ugh...I fear Holtz may be this year's Joel Armia.  We need more Center talent!  Holtz is fine for a team already stocked with an abundance of playmaking talent, we need somebody who can carry a line and feed the likes of a Holtz-type player.

Holtz write-up from Elite Prospects:  "His shot is as good as it gets, and it makes him a threat to score from anywhere in the offensive zone. Holtz is a pure sniper as currently constructed, and he has the potential to be a first-line finisher with triggerman utility on the power play. He's a special, special talent, and if he can refine that talent, then there's no telling where it might take him."

Back to 2011 and MyNHLDraft:  "Joel Armia is a budding power forward already playing in the Finnish Elite League at 17 years old. 6'2, 185 lbs, Armia has an incredible shot and uses his size to his advantage on the cycle. Already drawing comparisons to Finnish great Teemu Selanne, Armia possesses a similar scoring touch, though not to the same degree. Although he underwhelmed during the World Junior Championship, the Finnish team collectively flamed out during the metal round. Though he is one of the top offensive players in the draft, Armia may not go straight to the NHL, as his defensive game needs rounding out. Armia projects to go in the from any where inside to top 10-the a pick in the mid teens."  

52 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Holtz to Buffalo (and the Montour not being qualified) chatter is coming primarily from the Buffalo News crowd (old and new) not from league sources.

We will soon see but past evidence is Vogl and Harrington aren't that plugged in to the inner workings of the Sabres.

But now you have a GM with local ties. I’m guessing that has made a slight difference, more for Vogl then Harrington.

My feeling is Rossi or Quinn are the options for Buffalo in that order. 

Quinn was bad 2 years ago as he played down the depth chart. He admitted he didn't work out much. Then he started training in the gym and seeing results and here we are. He was always a hard worker just didn't put time in at the gym. Sounds exactly like the type of person the Sabre want. 

https://theathletic.com/1674320/2020/03/19/behind-jack-quinns-rapid-rise-from-obscurity-to-top-2020-nhl-draft-prospect/

When Greco talks about him, he points to another old client: Mike Fisher.

“Mike would just go through a wall for you. And that’s Jack Quinn. Jack is a bull,” Greco said.

“You give him an extra heavier weight, he’s going to do it. He’s not going to say ‘What are you giving me that for?’ He’s going to say ‘OK, give it to me.’ He’s just non-stop. Claude loves the guys that challenge him because Claude’s a machine and Jack will just do whatever you throw at him and he just makes sure he does it well, and fast and explosive. He’s a really good kid. He’s now moved up to a name, they say he might go in the first round. That’s amazing.”

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2020/4/6/21209301/jack-quinn-2020-nhl-draft-profile-a-hard-working-goal-scorer-mid-first-round-ottawa-67s

“I never worked out or anything,” he said, bluntly. “I never trained until my 15 or 16-year-old year.”

All that said, Nick Robertson is 8 days older and put up more goals than Quinn on a lesser team. I very concerned that Quinn didn't score in the year before and that he is so old for this class. That said, if you watch the video, kids good. 

36 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would be disappointed if he's the pick, not gonna lie. Don't really see how that would jive at all with KA's statement about not wanting to "reach". Also, I'm led to believe his advanced metrics do not look great, something else for which we've heard a lot of speak to the contrary, re - how we will better incorporate analytical info into the draft process. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Either of Hotlz or Quinn being the pick strikes me as a "to play with Eichel" selection and I'd rather that not be a primary focus when selecting. 

Quinn is not a lurker. He plays 200 feet, kills penalties, forechecks, carries the puck, and makes his own success.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Quinn is not a lurker. He plays 200 feet, kills penalties, forechecks, carries the puck, and makes his own success.

Just not sold on him at 8, though, from almost all accounts it would be a pretty big reach - something they said they wouldn't do. Holtz definitely strikes me as more of a lurker than Quinn you are spot on there, but Quinn is still more of a finisher and from what I'm led to believe - his advanced metrics do not look great compared to others in the range. As a right shot right wing goal scorer I still see "to play with Jack" being a big motivator there if he's the selection. 

I don't know why they wouldn't at the very least trade down, but more beneficially trade the pick if he's the best available in their eyes. Seeing as though he'd be years away, anyways. The Wild and the Jets aren't taking Quinn, we can at least make one of the two pay up to get a C. If not drop down further. 

But we had the "trade it" discussion yesterday. 

Watch the freaking Jets and Wild get Rossi and Lundell. Barf. We shall see. Every farmer and their mom knows Rossi is the BPA if he's there at 8, passing that up would be the "getting cute" I've heard mentioned around here a few times. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.